SylvanLakeWH

Discount Tire and Belle tire both do them around here. I've done about 12 with them.

@ebinmaine...

I find it odd that they say their tire machines won't do smaller. Same machines used for auto and my WH tires while i've watched... :eusa-think: Is there an attachment / adapter or something? :confusion-confused:

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Discount Tire and Belle tire both do them around here. I've done about 12 with them.

@ebinmaine...

I find it odd that they say their tire machines won't do smaller. Same machines used for auto and my WH tires while i've watched... :eusa-think: Is there an attachment / adapter or something? :confusion-confused:

They aren't the same machine up here. 

The old machines will do a 12 to 16 or 18 inch rim. 

The "new" (still 10 plus years old) machines around here go from around 14" diameter to 20" or sometimes 22"  

The smaller shops only have room for one machine.  

• Like 2

Treepep
14 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

@ebinmaine...

I have a nice fellow at the wally world tire here that will mount/dismount free.  He charges for the ancillary business valve stems etc.  He says he has had a lot of folks wanting box store tires worked on and he does not refuse however he reminds them that his machine may permanently mangle those silly rims. Im gueessing they just donot want to fuss with it.

Although mine were pitted and rusted to begin with my two machines got new shoes.  I have been there when other lawn mower wheels were folded into unusable shapes:D 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
58 minutes ago, Treepep said:

does not refuse however he reminds them that his machine may permanently mangle

Here in Maine the state laws FAVOR the CONSUMER which has its ups and downs. 

We have a Statewide all inclusive Warranty of Suitability on every item sold new in this state. Doesn't matter what the warranty is in writing from the manufacturer or seller. Certain items are covered for a certain time no matter what.

That's great when you want to purchase a new item but in a situation like ours, we are not buying anything from the businesses that I would like to have do the work.

They are however, still liable for damage to the materials.

I know from past experience with a couple of the building materials companies I've worked for that a customer can be requested to sign a Damage Waiver but in a court of law it means very little.

What this means to me in my particular situation is that most Box Store places and all but one of the smaller businesses I've found won't touch the job because we didn't purchase any of the items through them and they have no recourse by sending a defective item back to their manufacturer.

The one place that agreed to do it has a long history of commercial and agricultural service and he understands that I know what I'm up against.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

SylvanLakeWH

Another sad example of the consequences of many state regulations... States know nothing about making, selling or maintaining tractors, tires etc. yet these regulations directly impact your ability, as a consumer they say they are protecting, do something as simple as change a tire... What is the state's interest in essentially voiding your warranty relationship with a manufacturer or a service provider? Nonsense. If a tire business wishes to change your tire at an agreed to price they and you should have unfettered ability to do so. :twocents-twocents:

This issue aside, enjoying your progress!!! and i love the name!!! Maybe Terry can make you a custom graphic:

image.jpeg

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

enjoying your progress!!! and i love the name!!! Maybe Terry can make you a custom graphic:

I sent a screenshot of that to Trina. She loves it! Make sure you take that for exactly what it's worth. She is NOT into excess stickers, graphics or decoration of any kind.

Well done.

• Thanks 1

kpinnc
2 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Maybe Terry can make you a custom graphic:

I need to wrap my son's bedroom with that! :D

• Haha 3

Pullstart

EB.  We still fighting this tire, eh?  Try about 5psi in it and repeat all steps taken thus far.  It’ll eliminate the spongy sidewall issue.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

Also.  I’ve been hiding under a rock and haven’t given this thread the attention it deserves!  Awesome job, once again, you two!

Edited by Pullstart
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Try about 5psi in it and repeat all steps taken thus far.

Good info but we tried that too.

I have the tire with me today and if I get out of work on time I'm going to head down to the commercial Trucking place and see if they can save it.

It won't be a wasted trip either way because I'm going to pick up some more Rimguard Tire fluid while I'm there

• Like 1

Pullstart

The, real big truck outfits have the axe type sledge hammer with the blade mounted 90 degrees.  Maybe they could place one of those and you can whack at it with another sledge?

• Like 1

ebinmaine
50 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

The, real big truck outfits have the axe type sledge hammer with the blade mounted 90 degrees.  Maybe they could place one of those and you can whack at it with another sledge?

Yes sir that's exactly what this place is. They do tire installations all the way from a tiny little utility trailer to 6 ft diameter type stuff.

• Like 1

Handy Don
21 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I sent a screenshot of that to Trina. She loves it! Make sure you take that for exactly what it's worth. She is NOT into excess stickers, graphics or decoration of any kind.

Plus be aware that the owners of the Peanuts character images (the sons of Charles Schultz) are extremely protective.

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Plus be aware that the owners of the Peanuts character images (the sons of Charles Schultz) are extremely protective.

Yes, so I've read.

A properly licensed car window decal would do the trick just fine.

• Like 2

ebinmaine

Today we got the transmission completely reassembled.  

The 1" brake shaft has been the bane of my existence since the first attempt at removal several days ago.

The  :angry-fire:   :bitch: brake drum fought me tooth and nail to stay on. 

Today the shaft and drum wouldn't mate without a ton of sanding and cleaning. 

Then the seal fundamentally refused to be installed because of the lock ring groove.  

Eventually...... we won...... after wrecking 3 seals.  Sonova biscuits!!!!!

FYI. Packing tape over the groove is what the final solution was.  

We tried electrical tape, plumbing tape, scotch tape. All useless. 

Packing tape is thin enough to let the seal pass and strong enough to keep it outta the groove.   

But hey whatever. It be done. 

The other 3 seals flew right in like they knew who was boss.   

Following seal installation I did more scraping of muck followed by installing the brake drum, input pulley and shifter. I removed a "full dog" point set screw so I ground one of my half dogs to a longer tip.  

IMG_20240225_183035.jpg.9e417fbe06ae110d43a63a083d6c5233.jpg

IMG_20240225_183029.jpg.93bc359a130281595b58c340ae67a002.jpg

This - by the way - is a whole dog:

IMG_20240225_183004.jpg.aa82a11976c7871e1598a0c5cc94c650.jpg

Trina got the fuel line in place, installed some engine sheet metal, Starter Generator belt, and changed both choke and throttle cables.  

Together we  checked the cylinder head torque and verified at 20 lbs-ft.  

IMG_20240225_183040.jpg.e16aff68a6e60dd8ed37add2d41dc41f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

ebinmaine

Transmission is bolted in with the reinforcement brackets. 

There will be two more bolts on each side for more support. I'll need to drill more holes. 

IMG_20240229_195233.jpg

IMG_20240229_195241.jpg

IMG_20240229_195249.jpg

• Excellent 3

ebinmaine

The Reassembly Department got more work done today. 

IMG_20240301_115710.jpg

IMG_20240301_115714.jpg

IMG_20240301_115745.jpg

IMG_20240301_121424.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart
On 2/25/2024 at 6:51 PM, ebinmaine said:

This - by the way - is a whole dog:

IMG_20240225_183004.jpg.aa82a11976c7871e1598a0c5cc94c650.jpg

Hi Mirror!  

• Haha 2

ebinmaine

I used the @squonk method for throttle cable lengthening to get a god reasonably smooth installation. 

20240302_154630.jpg.da49a1486aa38f58c371ee843f351f6c.jpg

Got the choke cable movement to a decent level also. 

20240302_154610.jpg.c935d0d1e4806b293b731f2471f44d2f.jpg

To install the rear attachomatic hitch I needed to make top brackets. I want to ad a 2" receiver sometime. I figured now's the time to make the top pieces for the future hitch.  

20240302_154607.jpg.4eb6e9bd7cd11fdb68078bfc10f94076.jpg

• Like 5

ebinmaine

This.... is a rear tire/wheel combo. 

IMG_20240313_201220.jpg.80ace5805cfb1fa721677bd5ad4bd28f.jpg

This.... is also a rear tire/wheel combo. 

IMG_20240313_201227.jpg.cb4346fc9bef70a385d61ef1d7fc7b9e.jpg

These....are front tire/wheel combos. 

IMG_20240313_201233.jpg.bbbe6cd7ffe02cd6cae41e41d31c57c7.jpg

All four are now filled with Rimguard. 

There were some trials and tribulations involved with the pumperizing  system. 

All good.  

:handgestures-thumbupright:

The to-do list is gettin' shorter!!

• Like 3

kpinnc
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

pumperizing

I think we need a "wheel horse" dictionary... :D

• Haha 3

pfrederi

I will have some rim guard left from the retiring of my Farmall M.  How are you filling your small tires. Some say for tubeless break the bead on one side and pour in the recommended amnount ...not sure how easy it would be to reseat the bead. How are you pumping it into tubed tires??  Also I think you have indicated you completely fill the tire.  Rim guard indicates about 80% fill keeps eh valve stem above the fill line at 12 o'clock.

• Like 2

ebinmaine

25 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

How are you filling your small tires

26 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

How are you pumping it into tubed tires

We used a small non submersible pump I purchased at Harbor Freight for about $65.

Because of the tiny orifice that the fluid has to pass through going into the tube, this pump was no faster than using a drill mounted pump. We will use it for other things around the yard from time to time so I don't feel like it was a waste of money but it certainly did not speed the process up any like I was hoping.

28 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Also I think you have indicated you completely fill the tire.  Rim guard indicates about 80% fill keeps eh valve stem above the fill line at 12 o'clock

I would LIKE to attain as close to 100% fill with these tires as I can. I think we are probably no more than 70%, 80%.

I've read that having a tire at 100% with a heavier tractor could be dangerous in that, if you go over rough ground the fluid needs to push out somewhere as it's being pushed up on the bottom.

I don't see that being a serious issue for us in particular.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Today we finished up installing the hubs with new set screws, wheels and tires  etc...

IMG_20240317_184621.jpg.3738ff37c83e1f91a4aa8f7ade7cf1cf.jpg

IMG_20240317_184628.jpg.6ea1051ef11090b3e31c16bef1e462c0.jpg

Pigpen is back up n running!!!

• Excellent 4