Ed Kennell

The Last Walk

WHX??

Reminds me of my cousin. He inherited a neighbors dog when it was young. Dog spent his whole life with cousin Tom and he loved it so much after 30K in hip surgeries it passed at the ripe old age of 10. :sad:

• Sad 5
  • Heart 4

WHX??
8 minutes ago, c-series don said:

sheet rock knife and cut out a big piece of the carpet where he slept so he could rest on it forever. 

Did  the same exact thing Don with a Chesapeake I had named Lexi. Her oily hair ruined the carpet at the foot of my bed where she rested every nite. 

Cried like a school girl when I lost her. 

I gotta bow out of this thread sorry Ed. 

• Sad 3
  • Heart 8

tunahead72

Yeah, this is going to be a hard thread to follow, but I will.  All you guys who have posted so far here, I'm really sorry.  I've lost my share of pets over the years, every single one of them hurt then, and I still get emotional now when I think about them.  My son's dog has some sort of incurable cancer and has less than a year to live at this point.  She's always been such a cool pup, I try to make every moment I have with her count for something.  This past Christmas I realized was probably her last, and it hurts.  Life goes on, and then it doesn't. :(

• Heart 8

D_Mac

• Like 2
  • Heart 3

Treepep
13 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

My neighbors dog and I became best friends for 14 years.  The neighbors were both still working, but I was retired, so I was happy to take the dog walking 1-2 times a day.

This was my last walk with Groovy earlier this week.          This morning she passed on.

104_2794.JPG.710f2d9fd136e3264c66d6926fa9d562.JPG

That is a damn good run and thanks for sharing Mr. Ed Kennell!   Beautiful pup

• Like 1
  • Heart 3

Ed Kennell
8 hours ago, Mickwhitt said:

so carry on walking her. 

I plan to Mick and did just that after her service yesterday. 

Thank you and all my WH family for the kind words.

• Heart 9

Ed Kennell

Looking back thru some vintage pics of some of our pets that have passed on.   

These Springer Spaniels were amazing AKC pedigreed field trial animals that loved to hunt and flush ringneck pheasants. 

I bought them both as pups and trained them to respond to voice, whistle, and hand commands.    They grew up with my two infant sons and went everywhere with us.  They really enjoyed our annual vacations on the ocean.

Barney

104_2857.JPG.5459dd8e0bc36bf8f332373c7bf20da6.JPG

Brandy

104_2852.JPG.cf0c43997cf257bf0339d87052c2b961.JPG

Several years after these two passed, I started raising and training Beagles.

Jenny and her first litter of eight pups.

104_2850.JPG.eec2a4f8618a605d0387f8ee0ca971a8.JPG

Jenny and Jimmy baying on a rabbit track while a few of their pups join in the chase.

104_2849.JPG.c494fb043208cad95bce6f07caffd25b.JPG

Sorry for the poor quality pics.   Long before digital.

• Excellent 1
  • Heart 3

c-series don

@Ed Kennell I can relate to so much of this. I too had a Springer that I trained to voice, hand and whistle commands. In fact I even got paid to run my dog at two separate game preserves doing old style English driven pheasant shoots. It was truly a great experience. Watching the dog do what it was bred to do was amazing. We too enjoyed our trips to the ocean. The last picture is of me and my boy Wallace about 10 years ago at the ocean, dunes in the background. I don’t hunt the Springer I have now, we are just best friends. Thanks for posting your pictures!👍🏻

IMG_0002.jpeg

IMG_0003.jpeg

IMG_0323.jpeg

IMG_1882.jpeg

IMG_0020.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Heart 2

Ed Kennell

Wonderful pictures preserving many great memories.  Thanks for sharing Don.

• Like 1

PWL216

@Ed KennellEd, can totally relate. This is my Jesse I lost 3 years ago. He went everywhere with me. We did a lot of pheasant hunting. The first pic is our first bird. The last pic is the day I had to put him down. Heartbreaking to say the least. I think about him every day. Can’t bring myself to get another dog. I have his ashes that will be buried with me.

8CD988C0-206D-4455-81ED-B61F48B27135.jpeg

8FD84A55-A580-49E7-AEFF-2B41D6BF71A4.jpeg

00CA461A-DAFF-451D-AAF6-C25E08E3EB02.jpeg

B90A882C-2714-41EA-A2E7-469751E0B56C.jpeg

9FF1468A-E586-41D6-94C9-CB997247C1A8.jpeg

• Heart 6