Pullstart

Rolled on Paint?

Pullstart

Has anyone rolled their tractor before?  Just curious as to how it turned out…

For a worker, I’d imagine a good ‘ole oil based paint like this guy used wouldn’t be too terrible.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

@Red-Bovine beautiful boats!

• Like 5

kpinnc
26 minutes ago, Red-Bovine said:

Proper technique and properly thinned paint can result is really good paint jobs using a roller.

Agreed. Times two when wet sanding and buffing afterwards. 

• Like 1

8ntruck

Some time ago, Car Craft ran a couple of articles on painting a car with rollers and Rust Oleum.  Thinned paint, multiple coats, and sanding in between were described along with a final polish. 

• Like 4

ebinmaine
20 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

Some time ago, Car Craft ran a couple of articles on painting a car with rollers and Rust Oleum.  Thinned paint, multiple coats, and sanding in between were described along with a final polish. 

Seems I've read that one. 

I've considered rolling paint on the frame, front axle and transmission. 

Could be less wasteful provided the prep and post work was done right.  

• Like 4

Pullstart

I’m tempted to try this on my FEL project.  The frame is already black, the goal color of the whole machine.  Sheet metal, loader frame, everything.  Gloss black.

DBACB350-9D31-4EA3-9B9F-4A8407423A89.jpeg

• Like 5

8ntruck

A couple of the project's I had during my careers were the design and build of some new industrial equipment.  The framework on these things was typically square steel tubing of various sizes.  Those got painted by roller using industrial enamel.

Then again, the appearance of those paint jobs was not of primary concern.

• Like 2

ri702bill
1 hour ago, 8ntruck said:

A couple of the project's I had during my careers were the design and build of some new industrial equipment.  The framework on these things was typically square steel tubing of various sizes.  Those got painted by roller using industrial enamel.

A project that does not function is merely a doorstop.

• Like 2

Sailman

I have used a similar process painting a boat with either Awl Grip or other 2 part polyurethane paint. Key was to use a third thinning additive to adjust for temp and humidity, a foam roller or china bristle brush for application followed by foam brush to lightly "tip" the paint as it began to dry. Done right its honestly hard to tell the difference between that and a sprayed application. 

• Like 3

wallfish
7 hours ago, Pullstart said:

Gloss black.

Probably not an issue with most of it but black will always show the most imperfections and especially so on the sheet metal.

It's a worker tractor and not a collectors antique car either

• Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

@Pullstart Instead of paint why don't you use some Flex seal black tape it comes in different widths, and it will seal all the moisture from the tractor and you could use the spray cans of liquid rubber for the hard-to-reach areas.

• Haha 3

953 nut
On 1/26/2024 at 7:45 AM, Pullstart said:

anyone rolled their tractor

Well yes I did roll a tractor over when I was a wild and reckless kid!         :hide:        OH, nevermind,     :unsure:      you were talking about rolling paint ON a tractor not rolling a tractor.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

JoeM
15 hours ago, wallfish said:

with most of it but black will always show the most imperfections

:text-yeahthat:

Or scuff it up with 220 and spray with some cheap bed liner paint. Hides all of those imperfections.

And really you can have all the body parts off of an xi in half and hour and painted in no time. 

• Like 2