pfrederi

Electric Fence

pfrederi

I have a normal powered set up around the garden.  I only charge the upper two strands.  Small birds would perch on the chicken wire (to be replaced this spring) and touch the lower tape.

Have several small 3-4 year old maples planted in the area protected by pic 2 and 3

The three row of maples on the left were protected same way for 5 or 6 years.

IMG_0935.JPG

IMG_0936.JPG

IMG_0937.JPG

IMG_0938.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 4

Ed Kennell

Why do the maples need protected?   I need to protect my fruit trees from the rabbits in the winter, but I never knew they chewed on maples.   Of course the deer rub horns on any tree.

Handy Don

Deer here will eat almost anything in hard winter except fir trees, boxwoods, euonymus, and firethorn. One very hard winter they denuded a huge rhododendron. Ornamentals saplings like dogwood and fruit trees don’t stand a chance. 

As I write this a buck, doe, and yearling are strolling through the back yard and wood lot looking hungry and have now started munching on the pachysandra!

I’ll be looking into electric fencing

• Sad 1

pfrederi
54 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Why do the maples need protected?   I need to protect my fruit trees from the rabbits in the winter, but I never knew they chewed on maples.   Of course the deer rub horns on any tree.

They were trees I grew from seed.  When I put them out ether the were only 12-18" tall.  Deer would just nip them off.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Here in farm country the deer have plenty of corn, soybeans, and hay so they don't do as much browsing of the trees and shrubs as in forested or suburban areas.

Also, I do my part to prevent overpopulation.

• Like 2

pfrederi

Hay is about all that is grown around here now...that is pretty short in the winter/early spring ...little maple trees poke above the snow...

• Like 1

Lagersolut

I've been fighting animals for my grub here since the beginning - years ago I had a a big section of the garden in pickles - in blossom - one day I go up almost the entire patch is chewed to the ground :angry-cussingblack:     Groundhogs - long story short farmer neighbor takes me for a ride shows/educates me on his 8" Conibear traps - I've been working that program since our conversation all those years ago - some years I'm nailing 30-35 . 2 years ago I started a few tomatoes earlier they were in 4 inch pots at plant time - by July 4th some were getting ripe - squirrels went down my row chewed every one - fixed that with traps and a 1200fps Ruger air rifle so I thought - last season they tore a 100 dollar net over my blueberries to shreds - after I sent 60 to heaven . Urban sprawl has now (  knew it was coming for years ) given the deer unlimited food and places to not to get harvested.  Even after I knocked the sweet corn down ( end of season )  and mowed it they were still at it so I plowed it under . I still suspect someone shot my hawks out - squirrels are making a 150-200 yard sprint across a field from the back woods to my berries and not getting tagged .