RED-Z06

Those that run the 4.80-4.00x8 tri-ribs

RED-Z06

Have you used them tubeless or are tubes absolutely necessary?  I just noticed the new tires for my 702 say tube type and ive been planning on not using tubes...has anyone mounted them tubeless? 

• Like 2

ebinmaine

As long as you can get a good seal on the valve stem:

Not much weight on the rim. 

No spokes to leak. 

Low air pressure.  

I wouldn't be concerned.  

• Like 2

RED-Z06
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

As long as you can get a good seal on the valve stem:

Not much weight on the rim. 

No spokes to leak. 

Low air pressure.  

I wouldn't be concerned.  

Ive got the big oversized stems for the factory holes, and a can of tire snot for the beads, i plan on doing a thorough cleaning in the bead faces.  Just got the 62 year old tires cut off the wheels...2 hours of not fun and burned up an 8amp grinder

• Like 4

Pullstart

I wonder if tire bead ID is any different for tube type vs tubeless?

• Like 3

RED-Z06
7 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

I wonder if tire bead ID is any different for tube type vs tubeless?

Ive studied photos and i cant see anything different, it still has to have the stiff bead with steel wire, had to fit up flush.  They should be here Thursday, ill give it a look in person 

• Like 2

8ntruck

Working from memory, I don't remember seeing anything in the Tire & Rim Association standards about a tubeless tire having different bead seats than a tube type tire.

Disclaimer - I've been retired from the wheel industry for 5 years now, and probably have not opened a T&RA standards book for about 10 years.  Additionally, my memory does not seem to be as dependable as it used to be, either. 

• Like 2

cschannuth
8 hours ago, RED-Z06 said:

Have you used them tubeless or are tubes absolutely necessary?  I just noticed the new tires for my 702 say tube type and ive been planning on not using tubes...has anyone mounted them tubeless? 

I use them tubeless and have never had any issues on any of my tractors. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

RED-Z06
34 minutes ago, cschannuth said:

I use them tubeless and have never had any issues on any of my tractors. 

Awesome, thats what i was hoping to hear

• Like 2

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, RED-Z06 said:

Just for the record. If that was going to be any kind of a working rig with a load weight on it or traveling more than a few miles per hour I would NOT consider running without a tube in a tube type tire. 

• Like 3

cschannuth
11 hours ago, RED-Z06 said:

Just make sure the inside of the outer wheel rim where the tire bead seals to the rim is nice and clean and smooth and you should be good to go.

• Like 3

WHX??

If they say tube type I run tubes. Most of my older rims the valve stem hole is rotted away so tubes and these

20 Inner Tube Rim Hole Valve Stem Bushing Adapters TR15 to TR13 Rim Hole Bushing https://a.co/d/g7TeEK1

Dee's tri ribs get tubes fer sure. 

However some tires I mounted for @953 nut were labeled as tubeless but he got some tubes and a PIA to install. The problem was the tubes were Chinese junk and I eliminated them with no problems. 

20231201_163609.jpg

• Like 1

RED-Z06

I hate tubes, i can patch tires but tubes i have to dig the tube out, get a new tube, or fix the only one...then put it back in.  Last year i sold my big 60" liquid cooled Exmark Z, it had 24x12x12 rear tires and one went flat..kept going flat..i tubed it, after inspecting the tire and wheel.  Next day...flat tire.  Pulled the tube..leaking at stem.  Replaced tube again, it was fine.  

Stems are a non issue, i replace them without dismounting the tire in most cases.

• Like 2

RED-Z06

No leaks, very easy to install, beading up required wrapping a v belt around and twisting it down...but in total about 5 minutes per front tire.

20240126_101254.jpg

20240126_101237.jpg