Beap52

Saving spray can paint

JCM

:handgestures-fingerscrossed:   Lacquer I can see. Re-pressurizing, never thought of that one.  :confusion-confused:

• Like 2

Achto

Good tips!! With the VanSickle paint that I use priced at $15 a can, I want to get every last drop out of that can. :thumbs2:

• Like 2

formariz

I remove all nozzles and keep them submerged in lacquer thinner.

IMG_4846.jpeg.b2791018a55acba4f20ea358eb1a3582.jpeg

• Like 9

JoeM

I use brake clean and a lot of times the straw on the brake clean fits the nozzle just right. A small shot in the can tip keeps it fresh too. 

I rarely use expensive paint in spray cans. Just found it is much better to use a gun now that I can clean a gun in a couple minutes. (only took 5 years to learn) 

• Like 2

squonk
9 hours ago, formariz said:

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

Sailman

Turning cans upside down and spray does not work on these newer cans, like it used to. I pop the tops off also but use minimal bath in mineral spirits followed by a burst of air from compressor. Works well too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

pfrederi

I now rinse mine in paint thinner and blow dry.  In the past I left some rustoleum tops in a jar of paint thinner  (admittedly for a long time... i don't like painting...) but some of the little nozzle inserts blew out when i used them.

• Like 1

WHX??
12 hours ago, formariz said:

:text-yeahthat:

Mixed results tho. 

More problems with it plugging in the valve in the can on rustoleum

products. 

I would think putting air in the can would harden the paint in the can... No? 

2 hours ago, Sailman said:

Turning cans upside down and spray does not work on these newer cans

Yep them all angle cans. 

• Like 1

formariz
1 hour ago, WHX?? said:

More problems with it plugging in the valve in the can on rustoleum

Yes, I had that problem also. Had it with rus-oleum primer cans. What I do now is inject a bit of lacquer thinner into valve, and clean it before I put it away . I inject some more in there and leave it. It will evaporate soon. It resolved that problem for me. 
IMG_4847.jpeg.9b6825cf4ad3f7f8e0d6adb72983a0c9.jpeg

IMG_4848.jpeg.3bb6545020d6e466563fce75e3e06746.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ACman

Have done this same thing for years with re-pressurizing aerosol cans of all types . If I know I’m going to be using a can of paint say in a couple of hours or the next day I’ll put the can upside down. Then shake and get the ball rolling around inside for 5 minutes before I even think of depressing the nozzle. Just my :twocents-02cents:

squonk

Rustoleum clear now comes with a high flow( Turbo) tip. I tried one on a Regal Red can and you almost have to relearn how to spray paint.

Rust-Oleum 334128 Stops Rust Turbo Spray Paint, 24 oz, Gloss Black -  Amazon.com

• Like 2

C-85

I have had to toss some cans of WD-40 because they lost their pressure charge (I never thought of trying to recharge them before reading this), that had plenty of oil still in them and wonder if others have had this problem. :(

I've also had some 'fails' on some of my spray paint cans so I found this topic very interesting!  :confusion-confused: I contacted Rustoleum a while back and complained about tips clogging up and they sent me a few new spray tips.  I also bought some other spray tips to have on hand online.  I've noticed that there are a few different sizes, all of them are almost the same size of their shafts, but different enough so they either fit or not.  Some will go in the can, but leak when trying to spray because their shaft is a very little bit smaller, and then the others are slightly bigger and won't fit the can.  I think the manufactures could make these tips more available, but I also know they like to sell paint!  And like others, I've had some spray paint cans clog where the tip goes in the can!

C-85

SylvanLakeWH
6 hours ago, C-85 said:

have had to toss some cans of WD-40 because they lost their pressure charge (I never thought of trying to recharge them before reading this), that had plenty of oil still in them and wonder if others have had this problem. :(

Yes... 

I have made sure it was totally depressured then i punctured the can and poured it in a container to make use of it on other things...

Worked... :twocents-twocents:

• Like 2

WHX??

Boyle's law of gasses comes into play here also. Basically says the higher temp of the can the more pressure in the can. 

• Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH
3 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Boyle's law of gasses comes into play here also. Basically says the higher temp of the can the more pressure in the can. 

Never met mr boyle, but makes sense...

my wd40 can was warm and flat... no spray when i punctured it but i covered it in a towel just in case. 

Edited by SylvanLakeWH

squonk

Throw a can of lousy beer into a fire and watch what happens!  When I graduated from HS we had a camp out at a cabin we built out of ammo boxes. Pooled all of the left over beer from our grad parties. One kid had some real nasty beer. Like 2 cases. Nobody could drink it so into the fire it went. About 20 minutes later, we had fireworks. Burned up a couple of good lawn chairs with the collateral damage! :helmet: :hilarious:

• Haha 1