953 nut

TRACTOR TRIVIA and other interesting stuff 1/17/2024

WHX??
34 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

It had a 6.5-liter, two-cylinder engine,

Must have had jugs the size of garbage cans! 

Interesting Richard :text-thankyouyellow:

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 2

oliver2-44
30 minutes ago, Sailman said:

In the mad rush to produce fully electric cars I don't understand why the hybrid idea hasn't been fully utilized first. It seems to make sense with reduced emissions and not needing the massive batteries that are an issue with electric, not to mention mileage limits before recharging. Probably a more affordable option too.

On another note the big diesel locomotives do not use the engines to drive the trains. Instead the engines drive huge generators which send hundreds of kW of electric power to the "traction motors" which actually power the train. An original hybrid design.

Also, almost all of the wheels on a locomotive have a traction motor. (some front bogeys don't I read) thus eliminating complex gear drive trains and making them all wheel drive.

• Like 6

ebinmaine

Neat stuff richard.

Handy Don
1 hour ago, Sailman said:

On another note the big diesel locomotives do not use the engines to drive the trains. Instead the engines drive huge generators which send hundreds of kW of electric power to the "traction motors" which actually power the train. An original hybrid design.

It seems logical and was used with GM’s Volt which had a modest battery for electric-only short range driving. It was advertised as an electric car that carried its own generator. It was, however, quite a small car with a niche following but did not seem destined for widespread sales and they were all eventually called back from their leases and destroyed. 

I think now that hub motor design and implementation are maturing rapidly, this might come back. Hyundai has recently shown an extremely innovative approach that vastly simplifies the drive train, suspension, and steering equation.

Solid state batteries, if their promise is realized, will be a game changer.

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH
1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

GM’s Volt

I think you are referring to the EV-1. Many many Volts still running around...

• Like 2

Handy Don
Just now, SylvanLakeWH said:

I think you are referring to the EV-1. Many many Volts still running around...

Right! Thanks for the correction!

• Like 2

8ntruck

One of our neighbors who was working for GM drove an EV-1 for a while.  I'm thinking that he was assigned to the electric car program at the time.

Along simmilar lines, another acquaintance picked my mom up for a ride to some sort of meeting one summer evening - in one of the Chrysler turbine powered cars.

• Like 5

JoeM
On 1/17/2024 at 10:20 AM, Ed Kennell said:

parallel  parking assist

I like this one the best. Fits any car

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/xJdjRwgtoDY

• Haha 3