Beap52

brother in law's snow

WHX??
1 hour ago, Beap52 said:

making snow caves.  My kids have never that that kind of fun. 

Send your kids to Wisconsin I'll teach them how to make snow caves...:)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Handy Don
1 hour ago, Beap52 said:

My kids have never that that kind of fun.

Here in the ‘burbs north of NYC, in plenty of years we’d get a dump of up to a foot or more and so I got to demonstrate snow caving!

We also have a terrific hill for sledding right in our side yard--my granddaughter calls it “terrifyingly exciting".

The last two years have been more rain than snow, though.

• Like 3

953 nut

I grew up about fifty miles north of @Handy Don and remember some winters when the snow would drift half way up the windows of the house. Here is a picture of the road in front of the house, I can't remember the year but it was a big one.

1227866267_Snowatthefarm.jpg.37ec866dd7a87c945eae80fbd6159712.jpg

• Like 5

Sailman

Since this is a snow thread I'll jump in with a story from my childhood. Growing up in north eastern Iowa we saw huge snow storms as a kid. Hard getting the door open on the house some mornings. My mom told the story of once there was a severe blizzard predicted. My dad and mom took my 2 younger sisters to Waukon about 10 miles from the farm to leave them with grandparents. My older brother and I stayed back at the farm. On the way home the storm got so bad my dad had to stop halfway home and leave my mom and the car at a friends place. The road was impassable. He walked the 5 miles to home. Meanwhile my mom called all the folks on his path to turn on yard lights so my dad could orient himself in the blinding snow. Half way home he bumped into a car stalled in the snow with an elderly couple trapped inside. He then walked to the next farm where they sent out a tractor to pull the folks to safety. He continued on his walk through the blizzard and made it to our farm. He probably saved those folks lives that day. His favorite hero was John Wayne. I thought my Dad was John Wayne....  

Edited by Sailman
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 2

Beap52
9 hours ago, 953 nut said:

I grew up about fifty miles north of @Handy Don and remember some winters when the snow would drift half way up the windows of the house. Here is a picture of the road in front of the house, I can't remember the year but it was a big one.

That is indeed "a big one"!   I don't know that we would be able to handle a snow like that down here. We used to have "A" plows here in Missouri.  They were an "A" shaped snow plow that would go on the front of motor graders to clear deep snow.  I  made a comment to my neighbor, who is retired from the department of transportation,  about not seeing any and he said MODOT got rid of most of them.

Handy Don
1 minute ago, Beap52 said:
9 hours ago, 953 nut said:

That is indeed "a big one"!   I don't know that we would be able to handle a snow like that down here. We used to have "A" plows here in Missouri.  They were an "A" shaped snow plow that would go on the front of motor graders to clear deep snow.  I  made a comment to my neighbor, who is retired from the department of transportation,  about not seeing any and he said MODOT got rid of most of them.

If they aren’t getting use, they just clutter up the yard while needing regular maintenance. And Depts of Transportation are a BIG line in the budget making them easy targets!

• Sad 1

c-series don

Around here they are called Vee Plows and nobody uses them anymore. Seems lots of highway yards have them out front with the township’s name on it but are just for display purposes. One of those on a grader with chains and a skilled operator is almost unstoppable. Railroads definitely still use them, some of the videos on YouTube are pretty cool! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1