WHX??

You'll never find ...

WHX??

After a mini EB new to check list. it runs!  And smokes...:sad:... not real bad a puff of white now and then idling and quite a bit of white on throttle up. 

I'd  like to pull the head and look at the bore but gonna wait till I can get buddy Joel over with his measuring sticks. Gotta K161 jug to uncork and have him check right away  too to see what it needs. 

Needs more love and I'm sure a good carb cleaning wouldn't hurt & check points. 

Pulled the tank ... yellow gas & replaced the Gen light & charges good. Battery should be good for a year or two yet. New fuel line & filters.  

Funny Mike ain't chimed in yet I texted him pics yesterday. Maybe at the Doc with his wife and I get to keep it?  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

WHX??

Seats off and on the preservation table and a suitable replacement on. :)

Yep fiberglass pan Dan. 

Had several inquiries about it already. 

Any favorite cleaning products & tips? 

20240112_110940.jpg

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

No input on that original beauty, but that replacement seat needs a couple strips of gorilla tape... :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Haha 1

WHX??

2 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

eplacement seat needs a couple strips of gorilla tape..

In training for a ugly seat contest ...:lol:

Headlight switch funked ... will try and take it apart & clean. Can't wreck it right?  I think K & B has nos ones. 

• Like 1

ACman

This is my almost all original 1057 ( even had the split white bushings on hood hinge ) and 67 lawn range . These Original seats on both too . 

IMG_2023.jpeg.4aa44169ea3431c602dd95b02464e6d4.jpeg

IMG_2021.jpeg.1cf8d84c2b799bae994e3940a64c839c.jpeg

IMG_1882_Original.thumb.jpeg.f4787802c00dab5106eda6f6cbc9b257.jpeg

IMG_1797_Original.jpeg.623c433df4a44008b438a1cd0cfb35ae.jpeg

and most are going to be liquidated soon . None have moved in 3 years plus I want to get my C10 done and need the room . Going to be starting a couple new threads soon as I’m working with a tractor club and rv park to have an all garden tractor show in Marshall Mi. They hope to have it annually if the turn out is well . 

Edited by ACman
  • Excellent 6

AMC RULES
19 hours ago, Achto said:

I think those seats were specific to the **67 models. My 867 had the exact same seat on it when I got it but it was all cracked to shpit. Does your seat have a fiberglass bottom pan? Mine did. 

I have a 500 Special that arrived here with one of those seats too.

Fiberglass pan on it as well.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ACman

:scratchead: am I thinking right that ford In blue of course and cub cadet had vey similar seats  ? 

• Excellent 1

WHX??
1 hour ago, AMC RULES said:

500 Special 

Um Ahhh and the pics are where Madge? 

• Haha 2

AMC RULES
29 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Um Ahhh and the pics are where Madge? 

Screenshot_20240112_183518_Chrome.jpg.3b053ae33764542dd5395c30150aaba1.jpg

• Excellent 1

wallfish

HAAAA, so that seller who thought he had gold and raised the price to $900 found out how the hard way that many offers on there are nothing but the time wasters! You should've offered him $250.00 or he could deal with all of that nonsense forever. LOL

• Like 3

Mike'sHorseBarn

@WHX??I am obviously wayyyy behind on this so I sent you a text! I didn't get your pictures and i can't believe you have it!! I have half a mind to drive to Wisconsin before you change your mind and decide to keep it lol

Edited by Mike'sHorseBarn

WHX??

So I went to change stalls and it poured gas out the air cleaner like Captains out of Dan' jug.:D

Crap I gotta get it running a pia to push around. 

70's here today so first a bath. Cleaned up real nice. Got the dust off and caked on grime on the front of the motor.

20240227_110219.jpg

Dropped the bowl and cleaned and check the inlet valve... looked good to button it back up. Well...wait a minute should check the float...well that will do it. 

20240227_115232.jpg

Replaced it @Mike'sHorseBarn with a used one off a junk carb. 

Did not use a carb kit. Never even took the carb off. That's yer job!

Runs great again. 

Just because I can I got the old one empty and fixed. Not that I don't trust my fixes ... I don't ... so this one will stay here. :lol:

20240227_164302.jpg

20240227_164628.jpg

Gotta love the way brass solders tho. 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

So while washing noticed this. 

Might as well check it out Tamara @Pullstart ... see if the hubs need broaching. 

20240227_154810.jpg

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

WHX??

Good news is the passenger side axle & bearing looks good but obviously the seal is leaking & wouldn't hurt to replace it. 

The hub doesn't look too bad either. It does wobble on the axle a little bit so a second set screw should be added. It will get a new key & set screw regardless. 

Let me know what you want to do Mike. 

20240228_140148.jpg

20240228_140142.jpg

20240228_140120.jpg

Mike'sHorseBarn

Go ahead an replace the key an set screw. If you want to do the seal to I can order it and have it sent? Is the other side ok or does it need the same treatment?

WHX??

Other side not quite as bad but should get the same treatment. 

Seals & everything in stock here. Best price on seals is 8 bucks apiece from Napa just down the road. SKF 11050

Mike'sHorseBarn
39 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Other side not quite as bad but should get the same treatment. 

Seals & everything in stock here. Best price on seals is 8 bucks apiece from Napa just down the road. SKF 11050

Go ahead and grab the stuff and I'll pay you.

WHX??

No problem I'll put it on your tab... :lol:

I haven't dug the old seals out yet but they look like they are in backwards. Hard to believe as it looks like nothing was ever touched on this girl. 

• Like 2

EB-80/8inPA
On 1/11/2024 at 7:39 PM, c-series don said:

@WHX?? I have never even seen a WH seat like that? How rare do you suppose it is? If I had to guess I’d say very! 

I believe it’s original.  I have the same tractor with that exact same seat, but this one’s much nicer.  I wonder would it be worth making a mold of it?  I once used to do cold metal casting, two part silicone molding compound with a bondo shell to hold the shape and alignment of the mold pieces.  Not complicated.

Does anyone know how Wheel Horse originally fabricated these?  I assume sheet vinyl hot pressed in a rigid form and then, what, maybe adhered to the foam backing and pan?  Is Bob the seat guy still around?  I haven’t been keeping up so much lately.

IMG_4271.jpeg

• Like 4

EB-80/8inPA
On 1/11/2024 at 9:09 PM, Achto said:

Could be wrong but I was thinkin'  only the 867, 1067 and 1267 came with that seat. They are the only tractors that I have ever seen them on. Oh, most of them were all cracked as bad as mine.

The waffle pattern seems like control joints for the cracking.  Looks cool, though!

• Like 1

Handy Don
24 minutes ago, EB-80/8inPA said:

I assume sheet vinyl hot pressed in a rigid form

I suspect that there is little or no adhesive. Just the cover, foam, and shell sandwich with the binder strip around the edges and that the materials just stick to each other with age, pressure, and heat. That’s my guess! :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

Interesting thing is EB 2 that from what we have seen is they were formed on a fiberglass pan. All others were metal. 

22 minutes ago, EB-80/8inPA said:

The waffle pattern seems like control joints for the cracking.  

It didn't work guy but after 67 years it's amazing this one is as good as it is. Every one we have seen is destroyed.  Gotta bet they were made by Michigan seat and sold to :wh: . Double dog dare you to prove me different. :)

Achto
9 hours ago, Handy Don said:

suspect that there is little or no adhesive. Just the cover, foam, and shell sandwich with the binder strip around the edges and that the materials just stick to each other with age, pressure, and heat. That’s my guess!

Knowing what little bit I do about the making of seats - The vinyl is heated and then draped over a mold that has pinholes in it. A vacuum is created to pull the vinyl down into the mold in order to form it. A precise amount of liquid foam is then poured into the mold and another mold is placed over the top of the first mold to form the back side of the foam. After the liquid has expanded the 2 molds are separated. The finished vinyl / foam piece is then stretched over the backing plate. Glue is then used to fasten the edges of the vinyl to the backing plate. Sometimes a trim lock is also placed around the edge of the backing plate for a nicer finish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

EB-80/8inPA
11 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Double dog dare you to prove me different. 

I’m not gonna be rising to that particular challenge.  A man’s got to know his limitations.

• Haha 3

WHX??
2 hours ago, Achto said:

about the making of seats

I see someone's been in the Milsco plant...:lol:

• Like 1