953 nut

TRACTOR TRIVIA and other interesting stuff 1/10/2024

RandyLittrell

Great story!! Anything we can do to reduce chemical use and increase nutrition of our food is great!! 

I remember reading a article in Mother Earth news a long time ago about how the amount of bushels of crops raised had went up, but the actual nutrition of the crops had went down over a course of 20 years they had been tracking it. 

Glad your family farm is doing it's part!! 

Randy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

One of the things I do on the mini plow field is to put rye in right after plow day. If it comes up late fall the deer love the tender red sprouts. Spring then plow it back under and it puts nitrogen back in. 

• Like 2

953 nut

Rye is the cover crop of choice for my cousin too, the hydroseeder comes in right after a crop is harvested.  If the field is being rotated to winter wheat he double cropps the field, a cutting of hay can be harvested before planting. After the winter wheat is harvested the following summer soybeans are planted to nitrogenate the siol and will be cut for silage. With today's machines the land produces so much more than my grandfather ever thought possible with so much less backbreaking labor.

• Like 1

Handy Don
3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

2097758803_RollerCrimper1.jpg.623d4a60a9a5010fd623021e9bc97010.jpg   

Thanks for the picture.

I believe this farmer has a front-mounted roller/crimper and is towing a seed drill. One pass to take down the cover, “process” it to decompose into soil nutrients quickly, and plant the crop that will feed on those nutrients. 

The lighter load means he can use a smaller tractor with dual rears to lessen soil compaction and save fuel.

• Excellent 1

8ntruck

Does this mean that plow days will become roller crimper and planter days?

I don't know if a Brinly planter will work under those conditions.  Somebody will need to develop a Wheel Horse sized roller crimper, though.

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Handy Don
17 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

Does this mean that plow days will become roller crimper and planter days?

Good question!

IMHO, Plow Days can and should survive as demonstrations of historical methods.

A WH version of a roller crimper would be very cool--possibly to be used as an alternative to mowing large fields?

A combined Plow Day and Roll Crimp Day would be awesome!

A no-till planter for WH-sized machines? I’d have to hear more of other members’ opinions.

• Like 1

ri702bill
1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

A no-till planter for WH-sized machines? I’d have to hear more of other members’ opinions.

Don - what's your guesstimate as to the mimimum HP required for that task - 10?, 12?? Probably not suited to a 5,6,or 7 HP tractor....

Handy Don
On 1/10/2024 at 1:04 PM, ri702bill said:

Don - what's your guesstimate as to the mimimum HP required for that task - 10?, 12?? Probably not suited to a 5,6,or 7 HP tractor....

Very soil- and crop-dependent, in my view.

If the soil cooperates (few large rocks, no roots) an 8 h.p. tractor could subsoil to 6” and plant to 4” including a “compactor wheels” that smush the slot closed behind the planter, I'd say, for seed crops like corn or beans. In “easy” soil, deeper for sure. This is for a single row. At, say, 12 or 14 a double row, and up from there!

Not turning and lifting the soil makes a big difference in power demand.

The latest versions of these add a coulter ahead of the subsoiler that cuts through any surface refuse from prior crops that has been left on the surface as mulch--like from the roller/crimper--so it doesn’t build up on the subsoiler arm.

• Like 2

Tonytoro416

I love this kind of conversation and the various ways agriculture has been done over the years.  I work for a large plant nutrient company and run the dry fertilizer facility in my area and I have seen unbelievable results in various ways conventional and organic no till type farming.  This is for sure definitely soil and regional dependent as far as no tills success.  Some soils do not work well with the no til style.  In the fall we spread several thousand acres of cover crop and fertilizer blended together.  The cover crop ranges from rye grasses, wheat and Sudan grass. To turnips,radishes,rape seed, beets and winter peas.  This stuff gets me going if you can’t tell lol.  We have a fair amount of fully organic growers around me also.  No synthetic fertilizers or insecticides or herbicide used.  Commonly they use a large rig on the back of a tractor that holds torches just over the crop and burn the weeds.  Take into consideration the row spacing for organic is generally wider.  Use poultry manure and DDGS from local ethanol plant as fertilizer 

Edited by Tonytoro416

953 nut
9 hours ago, Tonytoro416 said:

Sudan grass

Sorghum Sudangrass also makes some great silage if it is cut at three to four feet height. It grows so fast the weeds don't have a chance and the root system loosens the soil and a second cutting can be made or it can be crimped to add biomass. Since it needs about as much nitrogen as corn it is well suited to follow a soybean crop.

• Like 1

Tonytoro416

Yes sir   Those are facts