PWL216

A tractor shipping story…

ebinmaine

This is awesome! 

Hopefully when someone is looking for a good way to ship a machine I can remember to reference this one! 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

WHGuy413

I’ve never shipped anything through them but have one of their stores about 10 minutes away. Maybe this will broaden my horizons on buying things that are further away than a quick drive. Thanks for the good report.

• Like 7

Pullstart

Very cool!  Awesome network of information we share on this site!

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, WHGuy413 said:

I’ve never shipped anything through them but have one of their stores about 10 minutes away. Maybe this will broaden my horizons on buying things that are further away than a quick drive. Thanks for the good report.

Matt, just make SURE your local Fastenal ships and receives large freight.  

I have two locations about an hour from me. 

One does. One does not.  

The "nice people on the long distance phone" do NOT know this.  

I'd highly advise walking into the location to speak to them directly. 

I really appreciate @PWL216 Paul sharing his story and

~  IMHO more importantly  ~ 

the good contact information from the person he dealt with.  

• Like 6

WHX??

No way you could have drove there to get it for that! 

Very clean looking tractor PWL.:handgestures-thumbupright:

I had a 246H that was a great daily mower. 

• Like 3

Stratman

It was a pleasure dealing with Paul on the 257H Deal . His perseverance in securing a means of transport , gave me the inspiration to skid it up according to Fastenals (Blue Line)  regulations ! All in all a great experience . 
Thanks again and Have a BlesseDay !

Dan ~ 

• Like 4

peter lena

@PWL216  thank you for the story / reference , in todays world of consistent , dysfunction , on the simple list attempt to finish a problem , when it goes like it used to ,  its almost  a let down , from the frantic  you can't do that , type of  brain dead . thank you , Pete    

• Like 3

ebinmaine
27 minutes ago, Stratman said:

It was a pleasure dealing with Paul on the 257H Deal . His perseverance in securing a means of transport , gave me the inspiration to skid it up according to Fastenals (Blue Line)  regulations ! All in all a great experience . 
Thanks again and Have a BlesseDay !

Dan ~ 

Hey Dan. Thanks for doing that. Some folks wouldn't be prone to going to the extra effort that you needed to.

Mighty nice of you. 

• Like 2

wh500special

I've used the Fastenal 3PL service a few times to ship some outboard motors and tractors as big as a 520-8 and it has worked just as well for me.  It's quite cheap and if you're not committed to any specific schedule it's a great deal.

I have run into a couple of things:

1. Not all stores support the service.

2. Some stores that DO support the service have no idea that they do until you show up with your paperwork.

3. They don't want anything protruding beyond the footprint of the pallet. 

As a customer - whether you are the sender or recipient - I suggest you set your expectations to match the price you are paying for this service.  In other words, you need to take your own precautions to ensure your shipment is packaged appropriately to absorb any kind of handling damage that may result.  Fastenal is not a white glove concierge shipping service and they do this more as a courtesy and a way to keep from having empty trucks wandering the highways.  They aren't really equipped to handle your crate full of Faberge eggs with the same care that a more conventional shipper might.  And they charge appropriately.  if you - or the other party involved in your transaction - is particularly hard to please you should think this through before pulling the trigger.

That said, I have had NO TROUBLE with them nor have I heard of anyone having an issue, but after watching the last tractor I shipped get loaded onto a truck with a forklift that needed help picking up the skid I think they may have more potential to have a hard time than a more typical shipper.  This may be a function of the small, independent stores.  But the cost makes up for it.

Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2