RandyLittrell

weatherproof keyless entry

RandyLittrell

I am getting a new shed at home this week and am interested in putting a keyless entry deadbolt on it. 

Does anyone have a recommendation for one that will stand up to the weather? I see some online that say IP54 which is just splash/dust resistant, not really water proof. 

Thanks, Randy

• Like 1

ri702bill

You may consider a removable rubber flap to cover the deadbolt keypad. Is this on a side door?? A storm door helps greatly - and allows you to use a screen in the summer......

• Like 4

SylvanLakeWH

Not a fan... I volunteer at a place that has 5 of them. Between batteries, ice, code defaults etc. I would suggest a regular key deadbolt. Manual lock box if you want to make sure key is always available...

:twocents-twocents:

• Like 3

RandyLittrell
5 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Not a fan... I volunteer at a place that has 5 of them. Between batteries, ice, code defaults etc. I would suggest a regular key deadbolt. Manual lock box if you want to make sure key is always available...

:twocents-twocents:

Thanks, I have no experience with them, but want my shed locked all the time and thought that would be the easiest way for all of us to be able to get in without carrying another key in our pocket. 

Maybe I can get a new deabolt keyed like my other locks. 

Randy

• Like 2

ri702bill
10 minutes ago, RandyLittrell said:

I recall seeing just that a while back at Home Cheapo - an entrance set and deadbolt keyed alike,

Now, if you want them keyed to something you already have - consult a Locksmith.

My son is one, but does not deal with residential work anymore.... I have 2 properties - and a "Master" key that opens all the doors and the garages. Had to upgrade to 6 pin tumblers from 5 - the Master tumbler is the 6th one....

• Like 3

953 nut
5 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

I agree with @SylvanLakeWH when it comes to keyless entry deadbolts,they are great until they fail and then you will wish you never saw one!  If the deadbolt on your new shed is the same brand as the ones on your house you could remove it and take it to a locksmith. If you need to buy a new deadbolt from Home Depot or Lowes they will rekey it to your key at no additional charge. 

• Like 2

RandyLittrell
3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

I agree with @SylvanLakeWH when it comes to keyless entry deadbolts,they are great until they fail and then you will wish you never saw one!  If the deadbolt on your new shed is the same brand as the ones on your house you could remove it and take it to a locksmith. If you need to buy a new deadbolt from Home Depot or Lowes they will rekey it to your key at no additional charge. 

It just has the traditional shed handle and we have too much theft that goes on to take a chance. I am going to insulate and have tools in it, so I don't want to chance it. 

I just had in my mind if it was a code, I wouldn't have to carry another key on my keychain. I have a locksmith that does work for us, I will find out what I need to do to get a new deadbolt matched up. 

Thanks for all the help guys, you never let me down!!! 

Randy

• Excellent 1

Handy Don
11 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

It just has the traditional shed handle and we have too much theft that goes on to take a chance. I am going to insulate and have tools in it, so I don't want to chance it. 

I just had in my mind if it was a code, I wouldn't have to carry another key on my keychain. I have a locksmith that does work for us, I will find out what I need to do to get a new deadbolt matched up. 

Thanks for all the help guys, you never let me down!!! 

Randy

While you are browsing and shopping, you might want to consider some of the newer models that use a fingerprint sensor. They typically have a keypad and physical keys as backup.

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 1

kwalshy

This doesn't require batteries.  I'm sure there are plenty more out there just like it. 

Keyless Entry Door Deadbolt

• Like 2

RandyLittrell
20 hours ago, kwalshy said:

This doesn't require batteries.  I'm sure there are plenty more out there just like it. 

Keyless Entry Door Deadbolt

Thank you! I hadn't seen that option!! 

Randy

rmaynard

We vacation at the Outer Banks in North Carolina frequently. The company that handles the rentals is Village Realty. They have equipt all of their rentals with keyless entry systems. Being on the ocean, these houses are subject to relentless weather, salt air, heat, and at times freezing, not to mention renters. Not only are they reliable, but they can be remotely updated to change the entry code before each new renter. You may want to call Village Realty and see if someone in management can offer you any information on their equipment.

• Like 1