bc_gold

26 pounds homemade soap

bc_gold
Posted (edited)

Made this last night the bars for personal use the bars are rough cut, now to set these aside for curing a couple of weeks and there ready to use or gift to friends. The soap is unscented.

spacer.png

Edited by bc_gold
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

bc_gold
Posted (edited)

The bars of soap are resting inside the meat tray of a 1.5 horse power Enterprise meat grinder number 32. I recently purchased, this grinder will pass 15 pounds a minute. Bought some courser plates for the beef and pig fat.

As usual the Dodge Ram was low on fuel and nothing open locally New Years day ended up taking the Jetta diesel to Gimli to pick the meat grinder. Had to commander the help of a friend to get the grinder out of the trunk. That beast is heavy.

spacer.png

Edited by bc_gold
  • Excellent 1

bc_gold

Picked up more beef fat from outside the butcher shop, Frozen Solid.

The Enterprise didn't complain she handled the frozen chunks like a champ. I swear if I accidentally dropped my boning knife into the grinder it would come out the other end in bits of metal.

After rendering now have a 5 gallon pail full of tallow to list for sale on a Canadian site frequented by soap makers.

SylvanLakeWH

Curious... what's your recipe /process?

bc_gold
39 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Curious... what's your recipe /process?

Using a recipe from a tube video, I'm in the process of doing the math conversions to metric grams and litres. once this has been done won't matter if you have have a kilo or 50 kilos of fat you  can calculate the amoint of lye required for the conversion to soap.

In the tube video the fellow brought the tallow to 100 degrees Fahrenheit, added the lye waster, mixed for 45 seconds then added the fragrance and stirred for another 20 seconds he did not bring the mixture to trace.  This made it easy to pour the soap into the moulds.

I may have had both the tallow and lye water a bit hotter than stated in the video, I did have what appeared to be some glycerine separation. I poured this out into another container and by morning this had also turned into soap. I'm not known for my patience.

• Thanks 1

bc_gold
Posted (edited)

This is the video I had obtained the recipe from., for your records one litre of beef tallow weighs  972.71 grams, if your going to use tap water give it a light boil to remove the chlorine.

Edited by bc_gold
  • Thanks 1