paulyv56

1st Wheel Horse ,New to forum

ri702bill
Posted (edited)

Welcome!! They don't come much nicer than that. Maybe time for some maintainence before working it on winter duty.

Download the tractor, deck and snowblower manuals here on the forum. Also take the time to look thru the "New to Herd" document started by @ebinmaine - it has a storehouse of owners knowledge compiled in it  - kind of a to do list for your first wheel Horse.

Bill

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

:WRS:

:text-coolphotos:         What a wonderful way to start the new year. Your 312 looks like new, very well loved by the couple you bought it from.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti:to the :rs:That's a beauty...great find.        

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 1

paulyv56
1 hour ago, ri702bill said:

Welcome!! They don't come much nicer than that. Maybe time for some maintainence before working it on winter duty.

Download the tractor, deck and snowblower manuals here on the forum. Also take the time to look thru the "New to Herd" document started by @ebinmaine - it has a storehouse of owners knowledge compiled in it  - kind of a to do list for your first wheel Horse.

Bill

Thanks Bill, Prior to supporting the forum, I was on here learning and did print out the Checklist you mention a few days before my purchase. 

I have been checking them off and the list is about completed. I did notice the gas charged clutch return "spring" is slow and I have ordered a real "spring" to add to clutch linkage. 

I ordered a new drive belt as well. 

• Like 2

WHX??

Wow ... looks like it was well.taken care of! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

ri702bill

Good - with the correct clutch spring installed, you probably should remove the failed gas charged unit entirely and give it the quick toss.... Search for "clutch spring installation" - you do not want to just grab the hook end with serrated jaw pliers - use either drum brake pliers or a bent coat hanger with a small loop on it to prevent nicking the spring...There are lots of useful hands-on experience items on that Check List - stuff Not found in the Owners Manuals......

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Niiiice find Pauly!!!

rjg854

:WRS:  thanks for joining and supporting the forum  :handgestures-thumbupright:  As you've already noticed, there's lots of great information here.  And there's a bunch of people willing to lend their experience with these fine tractors.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Handy Don

Glad to have you aboard, welcome.

As an FYI, depending on your tech skills/interest, you can alway down-sample images before posting them. Lots of phones create images that are multi-megabyte in size but for good viewing on the forum they can be a lot smaller. I tend to re-size to 8” wide at 72 dpi.

• Like 1

D_Mac

Great looking machine you have there ! Congratulations.  Now I am predicting a second possibly a third Wheel Horse will be in your garage by August.  Funny how they multiply.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ed Kennell
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

Now I am predicting a second possibly

I'm thinkin the same thing.     IMO the 312 is slightly under powered for the dually snow chucker and a bear to remove and install.   And I'm a firm believer in Hydros and lift for snow machines.    Look for a dedicated twin cyl. hydro with a cab for the dually.     Keep the 312 as a mower.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
27 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

.  Funny how they multiply.

Interesting concept, that one. 

Hair covered horses are certainly a herd animal. 

Somehow our paint covered Horses have acquired that trait.  

jay bee

:text-welcomewave: to :rs:

That is a beautiful horse you have there. I predict that you are going to love it. 

• Like 4

paulyv56
9 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Glad to have you aboard, welcome.

As an FYI, depending on your tech skills/interest, you can alway down-sample images before posting them. Lots of phones create images that are multi-megabyte in size but for good viewing on the forum they can be a lot smaller. I tend to re-size to 8” wide at 72 dpi.

Thats something I will work on for future post. Thanks

• Like 1

Achto

• Like 2

paulyv56
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I'm thinkin the same thing.     IMO the 312 is slightly under powered for the dually snow chucker and a bear to remove and install.   And I'm a firm believer in Hydros and lift for snow machines.    Look for a dedicated twin cyl. hydro with a cab for the dually.     Keep the 312 as a mower.

The gentlemen would not separate the thrower from the sale. I will use it to cut a path in so I can access my Sugar Shack from the roadway, its a wood chip path 20' wide x 125'. 

I have a small walk behind blower for the driveway. Ultimately, I will be purchasing a blade for it.  I may consider selling the 2 stage. Its near mint.

Edited by paulyv56
  • Like 3

WHX??
9 hours ago, rjg854 said:

:WRS:  thanks for joining and supporting the forum  :handgestures-thumbupright: 

I didn't catch he is a supporter already Randy... atta boy Pauly ... helps keep the lights on here and ad free. :handgestures-thumbupright:

8 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I'm thinkin the same thing.     IMO the 312 is slightly under powered for the dually snow chucker

I dunno Ed ... can't shove it into a snow bank like a 520 but taking it easy and keeping it on the pipe? 

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
25 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

I dunno Ed ... can't shove it into a snow bank like a 520 but taking it easy and keeping it on the pipe? 

Refrersh me Jim,  what's your dually on?         I could run mine on a B80 as the only load it will ever see is pumping air.

Pauly may see some good stuff up there in Bristol though.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
9 hours ago, paulyv56 said:

Ultimately, I will be purchasing a blade for it.  I may consider selling the 2 stage. Its near mint.

Good solid snow blades pop up fairly regular for $150. +/-

Your snowblower in that condition is a good purchase at $500.+

I'd be interested...

We joke about the Wheelhorse being a Herd animal and somehow self duplicating but in all seriousness, you may wanna hang onto your snowblower to see if/when you end up with a second tractor. 

Up here in Maine we use a walk behind blower to clear the dooryard, then tractors with plows to clean up. 

If we get a good amount of snow this year I'll be trying out a Single Stage Tall Chute snowblower.  

paulyv56

Well, it looks like I will be able to see how this 312-8 will handle the 2 stage this weekend. I will be in a Loader pushing snow for work so I imagine when I get home, I will have 8-12" to work with. Belts have been changed, fluids, I am awaiting a Clutch spring I ordered on Monday from Wheel Horse Parts, I will rig something up if it's not here by the storm. The Gas shock does not pull back the clutch, but it does hold it back if I use my foot to reset. I will try to get some photos or video . 

• Like 4

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, paulyv56 said:

Gas shock does not pull back the clutch, but it does hold it back if I use my foot to reset

You'll be okay using it like that short-term. Not super convenient but it'll get the job done for you. 

• Like 1

PWL216

Beautiful machine! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

paulyv56
On 1/2/2024 at 4:52 AM, ebinmaine said:

I'd be interested.

Your first, so I will keep you in mind. 

• Thanks 1