ebinmaine

Tire chain pliers, old school style.

ri702bill

Nice! I scored a well used, but not used up pair at a flea market for $12. Similar, but different than yours. They DO make dealing with links so much easier - with gloves...

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 1

ri702bill
26 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I've been wanting to add links to some of mine for years. 

Perhaps those ice grip cross links I gave you...??

• Like 1

ebinmaine
Just now, ri702bill said:

Perhaps those ice grip cross links I gave you...??

Exactly. 

I want to add crosslinks  and also make some connections between them. Makes a more linear better rotating set-up.  

ri702bill

Pictures - we just love pictures....

• Like 1

ebinmaine
44 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

Pictures - we just love pictures....

I'm thinking something like this.  

Screenshot_20231231_155039_Google~2.jpg

• Excellent 1

ri702bill

THAT is some serious ground rippin' traction.

AG tires & chains usually do not mix well - I like the idea of the pinch links - should they not be smaller to sit below the height of the cross links??

You could mount ice chains on a bald, worn out tire and still get great grip.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

THAT is some serious ground rippin' traction.

AG tires & chains usually do not mix well - I like the idea of the pinch links - should they not be smaller to sit below the height of the cross links??

You could mount ice chains on a bald, worn out tire and still get great grip.

I have a set of R1 AG tires that I've used chains in. The two link chains that I have here line up quite well to all the crossbars and still give decent traction even though a lot of the chain sits down inside the middle of the bars.

The chains are thicker in diameter than the height of the bars.

I've since switched over to a set of fluid filled turf tires. The entire chain sits above the surface of those of course.

I can see the logic of wanting the fore n aft links to be shorter in height than the V bar cross links. As long as they folded down a little bit as the tire was coming around I don't think it would matter much. I'm sure there's other types of links that could be used as well.

ri702bill
46 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I've since switched over to a set of fluid filled turf tires. The entire chain sits above the surface

With good results, like mine on the C81P1010176.JPG.32bbb483d1cbb389f235b3276bd97e18.JPG

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 1

pfrederi

Eric you got it.  These are on 13.6 38  and work well Cheaper that duo ring chains

IMG_0192.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wayne0

I've always used cut down car/truck chains on my 2 horses. More aggressive than "garden tractor" chains. Bigger cross links. I wouldn't mind finding a set of ring chains for my "mini skidder"

• Like 1

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, Wayne0 said:

I've always used cut down car/truck chains on my 2 horses. More aggressive than "garden tractor" chains. Bigger cross links. I wouldn't mind finding a set of ring chains for my "mini skidder"

Judging from the cost of those I'm seeing you might be better off to MAKE a set. 

davem1111

Sort of on topic, I haven't put chains on my GT-1848 again this year yet, although I mounted my plow blade yesterday.  Last winter, apparently the chains destroyed my hydro fan and I have put a new one on but don't want to have to replace it again. I'm thinking that even if the clearance looks good after putting the chains on, the chains may shift under load and hit the fan again.

Any ideas what's the best way to avoid this problem, other than "not putting chains on" or "switching to an 8-speed" :blink: ?   Should I get some spacers to move the wheel(s) out a bit?  Use some springs and/or wire to stabilize the chains more so they won't shift? :eusa-think:

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, davem1111 said:

Any ideas what's the best way to avoid this problem, other than "not putting chains on" or "switching to an 8-speed" :blink: ?   

ONE.  Should I get some spacers to move the wheel(s) out a bit? 

TWO.  Use some springs and/or wire to stabilize the chains more so they won't shift? :eusa-think:

I'd do both. 

Chains will quite often loosen up some after they've been driven around on for a short period. Usually I find they'll take a set to where they want to be after being cinched up once or twice.

• Thanks 1

Lee1977
On 1/2/2024 at 11:47 AM, davem1111 said:

Sort of on topic, I haven't put chains on my GT-1848 again this year yet, although I mounted my plow blade yesterday.  Last winter, apparently the chains destroyed my hydro fan and I have put a new one on but don't want to have to replace it again. I'm thinking that even if the clearance looks good after putting the chains on, the chains may shift under load and hit the fan again.

Any ideas what's the best way to avoid this problem, other than "not putting chains on" or "switching to an 8-speed" :blink: ?   Should I get some spacers to move the wheel(s) out a bit?  Use some springs and/or wire to stabilize the chains more so they won't shift? :eusa-think:

I would like to try these tires in the snow if I ever get a chance.

SAM-1665-3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

peter lena

@ebinmaine https://www.amazon.com/Performance-Tool-W175-Spring-Pliers/dp/B00BR1BV8Q/ref=asc_df_B00BR1BV8Q/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312061942313&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10267027089775835261&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvde, brake spring plyers , are also good for , chain / slide assist , HARBOUR FREIGHT , also has them . personally , like a 3" extension spring , to help settle in a tire chain , allowing you to drive around , while the spring is always pulling to the close point , use a  wide screwdriver , to help chain to end point , like a third hand , only me , Pete

• Like 2

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, peter lena said:

@ebinmaine 

brake spring plyers , are also good for , chain / slide assist , 

Absolutely agreed Pete.

I have a nice old set of Lisle brand I've probably owned for 30 years or more.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@ebinmaine  like  having a 3 rd. arm , those chains don't   stretch , but need pull assist , Pete

Wayne0
On 1/18/2024 at 12:27 AM, Lee1977 said:

I would like to try these tires in the snow if I ever get a chance.

SAM-1665-3.jpg

Hey, what's that truck? Looks like an old Datsun.

Edited by Wayne0

Lee1977
1 hour ago, Wayne0 said:

Hey, what's that truck? Looks like an old Datsun.

1980 Toyota

Wayne0
2 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

1980 Toyota

Dammit! I thought it looked familiar! I HAD one! Solid front axle with leaf springs. Bullet proof!!