Daron1965

Secret to removing mule drive?

Daron1965

It’s been years since I removed one, I’m trying to get the one off of my B80 to put my plow on.  I’ve been pushing the rod in and trying to get it off.  I’m going to use a bfh tomorrow.   Am I forgetting a step?

76c12091520h

Assuming it's the front mount mule drive , push the button and flip the latch / lever . Should fall right off.

• Like 3

8ntruck

If I remember right, you push the release rod on the left side, then pull the bottom of the latch towards the front of the tractor.  I do know that you need to move the latch on the front mount the opposite way as the mid mount to open the latch.

• Like 2

daveoman1966

Easy Peasy---   Just read the few lines under  fig # 5 in the upper left corner of this instruction page. (1) Push the Lock Pin Release button and (2) pull the LATCH LEVER forward.  Mule drive will drop out of the hitch.  

LEVEL (1).jpg

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Ed Kennell

I've had a few where the lever was stuck and I had to use a S(small)FH to tap the lever forward while holding the release pin in.     

• Like 1

peter lena

@Daron1965 , agree with others on the should be easy removal , rusty ?   stuck in place , that is a drop out , its the opportunity  that I see , to do a bearing , clean out and re grease , those wide side shields , make for a simple , removal , use a 550 flash point grease , eliminate the drag and whine,  also lay out the drive as you take it apart , for proper spacer installation , new belt, also lubricate the dial screw , and related lever areas , just a suggestion , this service will also  enhance , overall  movement , that deck can/ should easily spin by hand , at the PTO  down belt , area , just some suggestions while you are right there  , pete 

• Like 1

Sailman

I had a "stubborn to remove" mule drive on one of my tractors. Upon closer examination I discovered it had been run into something in the past and something had been slightly bent (can't remember exactly what part). Spent a few minutes straightening with a pry bar and the mule drive came off as it should.

• Like 4

squonk

The bar that goes across gets bent from overtightening the belt. The adjustment screw pushes on this bar. 

• Like 2

Daron1965

A little squirt of pb blaster and a slight tap with a small hammer solved the problem.  It came off with the first tap.  Must of just been a little rusted.

Thank you all!  As usual the group solved my problem. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4
  • Thanks 1