Gary S Minnesota

Checking Hydro oil level -520H

Gary S Minnesota

This may sound odd, but since changing the oil and filter on my Eaton 100 I haven’t been able to get a consistent dip stick reading.

Initially I thought I may have overfilled it. ( thought I was at about 5 qts w/ filter) but the oil on the dipstick appeared about a 1/4” above the “hatch marks” and full indicator line,  while at the same time much of the hatch marks held no oil on them?

I then opened the drain plug and took about a 1/2 quart out.  Following that I started slowly adding oil and checking the dipstick- hoping to get the oil on the dipstick hatchmarks to indicate full.  

Again I ended up with oil on the dipstick” above the hatchmarks/full line”  but only a trace on the very bottom of the hatchmarks.  What happens if I continue to add oil and maybe end up “over full”?

Do I maybe have an oil bubble in the lower part of the fill tube that the tip passes thru to an oil void area,  while the neck of the dipstick registers the oil in the bubble???

• Like 1

953 nut

Drive it around and exercise the lift a few times then let the tractor sit for a few minutes and check the dipstick.

• Like 3

Handy Don
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

Drive it around and exercise the lift a few times then let the tractor sit for a few minutes and check the dipstick.

The filter may have not have fully filled with oil immediately after the change.

@953 nut is on the money... it can take some minutes of use to get that oil into all the nooks and crannies in the lift and transaxle.

• Like 2

lynnmor

Try lightly sanding the dipstick so that oil doesn't glide off.  I have seen dipsticks act like they were waxed and oil wouldn't stick evenly.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

davem1111
25 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

Try lightly sanding the dipstick so that oil doesn't glide off.  I have seen dipsticks act like they were waxed and oil wouldn't stick evenly.

Dang, that's a great idea. I have or have had various engines that had frustrating dipsticks, where it was hard to tell if the oil had glided off or if it was just some residual oil in the tube. Going to do this to everything now.

• Like 2

JoeM

Some of the things I found on the 520H Hydro.

I have had a couple 520's that will drain back into the sump and seem overfilled.

The pump is higher than the sump and if there is any internal leakage in the hydro they can drain back into the sump and read over full. One way to get it right, check the hydro oil after use when put away. 

Having the oil a little higher on the dip stick is not a big issue. Just not to much or they will overflow when the oil heats up.

On these machines the hydro draws oil from the bottom of the sump and you have to run them really low to damage the hydro. Almost dry low. 

Another issue with running them low is the non lubrication of the internal gearing and bearings in the rear end section.

At a minimum is to keep the oil at a mid point of the rear axle to insure lubrication of the internal gear parts. 

Not to panic if you have one that drains back. The two I had ran great and never lost any power or trans torque. Just had to know that it was possible to be a little high on the reading of the dip stick after they sat. 

• Like 2

lynnmor
4 hours ago, JoeM said:

Having the oil a little higher on the dip stick is not a big issue. Just not to much or they will overflow when the oil heats up.

A number of folks on this forum, myself included, have had the hydro pee on the floor while stored.  I suspect the temperature changes during storage acts to move the oil to the sump and out the dipstick tube.  My suggestion is to keep the oil level near the bottom of the hash marks and see if that helps.

• Like 1

JoeM
1 hour ago, lynnmor said:

I suspect the temperature changes during storage acts to move the oil to the sump and out the dipstick tube.

That has happen to me too.

It actually faked me out, cause the oil dipped down and ran behind the right hand axle. I thought I had a axle seal leaking.

• Like 1

Gary S Minnesota
1 hour ago, JoeM said:

That has happen to me too.

It actually faked me out, cause the oil dipped down and ran behind the right hand axle. I thought I had a axle seal leaking.

Gary S Minnesota

I tried the light sanding of the dipstick, followed by carefully wiping it clean with a bit a lacquer thinner.  Walla!!   MUCH easier to read!

The hash marks are holding an oil film while the stick above the hash marks is no longer covered with oil.  I finally was able to get an accurate reading!   Thanks to all who replied!

• Like 4

c-series don

@lynnmor when you say sand, do you mean with 600 or more grit sandpaper? Thanks for posting this, I’ve had Wheel Horses for almost 40 years and it just goes to show that you can always learn something new! 

• Like 1

lynnmor

I believe that 240 or 320 would be about right, finer grits is too much polishing type of action.

• Like 2

Gary S Minnesota

I used a scrap piece of sandpaper—quite course-#? and then used a rag with lacquer thinner to be sure all of the sandpiper grit and other contaminates were sure to be removed before re-inserting the dipstick.  Checked the oil level again this morning.  OK.  the dipstick is 100% easier and more consistent to read.

• Like 3