RED-Z06

Whats needed to put an s/g on a K181S

RED-Z06

Back when i was 16..around 2002, I found a 702 chassis and deck..fully rusted, no color anywhere, no wiring, no engine...tires rotted.  But it was $25 and i had that.  I restored it as best i could, sandblasted, painted, tubed the original tires.  I wired it up for electric start and bought a complete K181S off ebay.  The starter worked but it never charged, i took the s/g to a local electric motor shop and they destroyed my commutator on a lathe...and then basically told me oh well.  

I haven't pulled the tractor out of the shop corner since 2005...but, i know i need a starter, shroud with the proper mount points for the belt guard, the belt guard, proper tensioner assembly, regulator/rectifier.  The wiring should still be intact.

Im trying to weigh out if finding all the right parts in 2023 will be the same headache I had 21 years ago...i had all the parts but they never worked right, the belt cover rubbed the pulleys, the tensioner wouldn't hold, never charged, cover didnt fit the shroud right.

ebinmaine

I can get some pics of Trina's mid 60s engines if you need them.  

I'd bet if you text/PM/email Brian Badman @76c12091520h you'd be headed the right direction.  

ri702bill

SOME generic supposed-to-fit V belts for the S/G are either too long or short and will give issues with the guard.

Pullstart

@WHX?? @Achto can build s/g’s in their sleep!  Well, if you tasked them both with this challenge, Uncle Jim’s would get done much faster because Dan never sleeps!

• Haha 1

WHX??

Should be no problem finding the correct parts. 

20200315_123052.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4
  • Heart 1

953 nut
30 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

SOME generic supposed-to-fit V belts for the S/G are either too long or short and will give issues with the guard.

You should use a 3/8 X 32in COGGED belt

• Like 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

You should use a 3/8 X 32in COGGED belt

Richard, you have a part number for that?

I've had difficulties with getting them around here for Trina's rigs.   

WHX??

Two types of SGs used in the day. A short one that was used on a 701. 62 and up used the long one. Brackets off a K181 should work. Starters can be had resonable at Pat's Small Engine.com

NAPA should have them EB. 

Edited by WHX??

squonk

Napa 25-7315     3/8" X 32 3/8"                      Or 25-7320  3/8" X 32 7/8"

• Like 1

wallfish

Pretty sure 3/8 x 31.5" cogged belt is the factory correct size starter belt. Gates 3VX315. But a 32 will typically work

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133745910414?hash=item1f23e0a28e:g:-pAAAOSwoJ9giz8c&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4MV4EOjp5UKqB2n7Ezesss%2BHIlCoAFZlfmlO9COmwVZnumGXfi%2Bbuwc06AcP%2F6zXT4htKjhbTO9ANhY2V29JDpwsWHPYx68Pe7dQn%2FXYNakHVU1kLTYePvcBqieIvR3j%2B3aut%2F1XkMr%2FvaDiX4S%2FLji3x5LFZ%2FHsVr%2Fk21IkDH8M%2FeL%2BYdVGKIqRjazbukCMLb84w4kSqTsiay3%2Fwgm7qsetLmZYCf9FTlhkC2Z%2Bj4CclhF0tF7byHMW6%2Ff2leygJ6q9cMSpG2HYTxsZx6F72S7tvO9a4%2FSQW%2FQBY9wMU7be|tkp%3ABk9SR_7G9aGSYw

Too long of a belt will cause the starter pulley to rub the guard

The proper guard will bolt on with any K181 series shroud as it uses the same lower bolts that hold all the shrouds on and a top bracket that's part of the starter mounting hardware

Jim's pic above is good reference. Looks like he might have a 32" belt as the starter is at the mechanical end of the slot for adjusting belt tension. The 31.5 will put that closer to the center and allow for any future tension adjustments as the belt wears.

Shows the mounting and tension brackets and the top guard mount

Not sure how the tensioner is not holding or could be a problem since it's just a bolt and a slotted bracket. You must be thinking of something else or have the wrong parts.

• Like 1

squonk

3VX belt has a top width of .38" , a effective length of 31.6" and a 32° side angle . A 25-7315 has a TW of .41"  effective length of 31.5" and a 36° side angle. It is more readily available  at a local store. I like how the 25 dash series fits better. I use the 3VX series on equipment at work and you can see and feel the difference between them

WHX??
1 hour ago, wallfish said:

Looks like he might have a 32" belt as the starter is at the mechanical end

'Tis 'Fish on the flame.

Pretty much shot too but all I had at the time To keep her sailing.

Gotta pull it to do new bearings one of these days so pulled the trigger on the one you posted above. For 9 clams to the door can't go to NAPA for that. 9 bucks in gas alone... thanks.

You need more pics for correctness no problem @RED-Z06.

squonk

For $15 I'll stick with Gates. (Napa) :helmet:

RED-Z06
6 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Two types of SGs used in the day. A short one that was used on a 701. 62 and up used the long one. Brackets off a K181 should work. Starters can be had resonable at Pat's Small Engine.com

NAPA should have them EB. 

I found this through my parts distributor, id need a pulley still but it would be new if it will fit.  CW rotation is correct, 15a is correct. Mount up...no idea.

Screenshot_20231222_133037_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231222_133043_Chrome.jpg

RED-Z06
6 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Should be no problem finding the correct parts. 

20200315_123052.jpg

Yeah my stuff definitely didnt look like that the guard wasnt mounted like that..probably why it moved around

WHX??

My pic is correct but used a few spacers to help line things up. Identical to a K181.

Should be able to use your old pully if you still have it. Nut is a 5/8-24 industrial thread if I remember right. 

Price seems abit high but been awhile since I looked. 

http://www.psep.biz/store/kohler_starter_motors.htm

Not the best pic but a 753...might have to zoom. Note the mid adjust of the tensioner with the proper belt Wallfish mentioned. 

20170806_201516.jpg

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 1

RED-Z06
14 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

My pic is correct but used a few spacers to help line things up. Identical to a K181.

Should be able to use your old pully if you still have it. Nut is a 5/8-24 industrial thread if I remember right. 

Price seems abit high but been awhile since I looked. 

http://www.psep.biz/store/kohler_starter_motors.htm

Not the best pic but a 753...might have to zoom. Note the mid adjust of the tensioner with the proper belt Wallfish mentioned. 

20170806_201516.jpg

Okay so new s/g and reg/rec shouldn't be a problem to get, i doubt i still have the old pulley..im not even confident it was the right pulley...but ill look for it

WHX??

@Achto didn’t you have to score a new SG pulley somewhere? I remember broaching one. 

953 nut
23 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Richard, you have a part number for that?

I've had difficulties with getting them around here for Trina's rigs.   

Like Mike @squonk said, NAPA 25-7320, Napa 25-7315, Gates 7320 or Gates 7315 will all work. I have used the off brand D&D belts on my herd with good results. Here is a link for the D&D 7320 belt.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/112317922071?hash=item1a26ab7b17:g:vf0AAOSwiBJaFbxf&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4FmlvXprNbmz%2Bg2oksgxbdkrVfcMuUg8R9BBep0ThUdxJj5t0jXF9Ff6ZiNf0Wr1FovAoEQi1HsYqVIza3lQHdGf%2BBzAzvq2svD146E3MAidR6jPo209hO97W4JjgrKGUNoMY1SHb1bFztelEkKlgtC3Yvyo4CU3wP64sURLB9aAX0aK%2Fxc7NeoEGw%2FpI57gtcYybTcKefAgfGKV5gHmUqJqydrOXrw15ufc6YWGpCJk9g0Cuf37e5WvzwfLicYlY6XggTGjNFn3txx7A%2BIg92CnPzbQJ2gigQfU9soRRo2P|tkp%3ABFBMqL7b65Jj

• Thanks 1

RED-Z06

I emailed A to Z, to see if they have a complete outfit to bolt on.

Handy Don
1 minute ago, RED-Z06 said:

I emailed A to Z, to see if they have a complete outfit to bolt on.

My (excellent) experience with Lincoln is that he is always behind on emails. No problem if not in any hurry.

I usually send a detailed email of what I am looking for, including any options, and then give him a short “heads up” call to let him know it is there in his inbox. Often his office helper takes the call and will make sure things keep moving. If there are questions, I’ll typically get a call back.

Good luck!

RED-Z06
34 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

My (excellent) experience with Lincoln is that he is always behind on emails. No problem if not in any hurry.

I usually send a detailed email of what I am looking for, including any options, and then give him a short “heads up” call to let him know it is there in his inbox. Often his office helper takes the call and will make sure things keep moving. If there are questions, I’ll typically get a call back.

Good luck!

Im in no rush, tractor has sat almost 20 years, im sure it will need 4 new tires by now, im just tired of forgetting it exists for years at a time🤣.  I just want to do it right, because how it was, wasn't right

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

RED-Z06

Ordered stuff from A-Z...s/g, upper bracket, regulator, engine shroud, and belt guard.  Have a new belt already.

• Like 1

WHX??

Let us know how it pans out. Should be a no brainer with the correct parts. 

RED-Z06
57 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Let us know how it pans out. Should be a no brainer with the correct parts. 

Only thing im not looking forward to is the lower mount, im sure its still installed but i doubt it has the hardware..ive got nuts n bolts if its nothing special.