DCwom

Bad switch or by design?

DCwom

So I've got a new ignition switch, the typical 5 lug type with Magneto, Battery, Start, Accessory, Coil. When I buzz it out with an ohmmeter I find that the Battery and Coil are not connected when the key is in the start position, only when in the run position. This would mean that the engine won't start when the starter is engaged, only when the key is released and the coil is energized. Your can crank all day and it won't start until you release, does this make sense?

ebinmaine

What's the switch part number?

Can you clearly see all 5 terminals?

Any pics?

On a MAG engine that could be correct. 

The coil would be grounded to shut off the engine.  

ri702bill

I agree - AND, they appear to be the same...... but oh-so different.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

If the switch has a magneto terminal it never makes a connection with the battery because that would release the magic smoke from the ignition module.

Have never seen a switch with a magneto terminal and a coil terminal.

Plus have never seen a coil terminal on a switch.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
5 hours ago, DCwom said:

new ignition switch

There are dozens of five terminal switch configurations out there, What Wheel Horse is this going on and what is the number of the switch you bought?

• Like 1

DCwom
45 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

There are dozens of five terminal switch configurations out there, What Wheel Horse is this going on and what is the number of the switch you bought?

The horse model isn't really relevant since the ignition system has been rebuilt/wired in a simple battery, coil, starter, configuration, no accessories, lights, meters. What I need is a simple switch that powers the coil on run and start, and triggers a solenoid while on start.

This is the switch I tried, it does have a magneto terminal so maybe that explains the non-connect.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZHDMM4R?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

• Sad 1

gwest_ca

103991 is a 6-terminal switch with a ground terminal for magneto ignition

103990 is a 5-terminal for battery ignition

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

Achto
11 hours ago, DCwom said:

What I need is a simple switch that powers the coil on run and start

You need a switch that has an "I" = "ignition" terminal for battery ignition. A switch with a "M" = "magneto" terminal will not work for a battery ignition.

953 nut

As @gwest_ca said above, chances are you will find that a 103990 will get you going. Check out this post Garry and I did a couple years back.

DCwom
3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

As @gwest_ca said above, chances are you will find that a 103990 will get you going. Check out this post Garry and I did a couple years back.

Just what I was looking for, thanks @953 nut & @gwest_ca I wish this old thread came up on my searches, I definitely have the wrong switch. I'd think this old thread would be a good candidate for a pin in the electrical forum because it explains so much in a very compact form.

953 nut
6 hours ago, DCwom said:

. I'd think this old thread would be a good candidate for a pin in the electrical forum because it explains so much in a very compact form.

This thread and many more are found in  the https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/ Refrance Section.