Ed Kennell

First Snow

rjg854

I got just a bit more than that but you can still see the grass.  So did you give that blower a work out :confusion-shrug:   :laughing-rolling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

SylvanLakeWH

I'm ready...

image.jpeg.68bab63c5015f2ae2a804ac8e325e04a.jpeg

:banana-skier:

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

cleat

We got this a few days ago and it is still here.

Trees are very white.

DSCN5890.JPG.ee2964b0cba1e976a1f61b5ef6b62e5e.JPG

DSCN5891.JPG.7e3930dcafe3549456cb2d533e0f4266.JPG

I did not bother to clear the driveway however as it is gravel so I need it to freeze up.

Edited by cleat
  • Like 5

lynnmor
2 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Better go warm up the Daully.

104_2152.JPG.55bd6d9c051d982ae7dbbbb1c2e17211.JPG

I was able to make it to the post office in this 38 degree weather since PennDot salted the roads. 🤬

• Sad 3

cleat

There is the slightest bit of snow on the road here so of course the plow truck went by spreading salt.

I am quite anti-salt but I guess the county is afraid someone might drive at high speed in a snow storm then go into the ditch and sue them.

• Excellent 1
  • Sad 3
  • Heart 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-yeahthat:

In southeast Michigan we sit on one of the world's largest salt mines... the math used by MDOT and County DOTs is:

x = y

Where:

x = Snow accumulation in inches

y = Salt placement in inches

:(

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

c-series don

One thing I learned when I was Deputy Superintendent of Highways for my town was that you’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t!

• Like 4

D_Mac

We got a couple of inches last night. I was out this morning with my 875 clearing the driveway. Telling myself its a good idea to clear it so it wont get packed down on the driveway, when in reality it will be melted by the weekend. The first couple of times is always fun, after that is when it turns to work and the fun is over.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Achto

I had my C145 out to clear pavement the last couple of weekends. Last couple of weeks we've had snow on Sat or Sun, followed by 50's by the following Thurs.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

Our PennDot uses the threat of possible snow to try out the salt spreaders and sharpen the plow blades on the bare pavement.

• Haha 4

Achto

Winnebago county likes to dump the brine on so heavy that the road is soaking wet and it is spraying off from the tires of the car in front of you. :( Will take salt over brine any day.

• Sad 2

SylvanLakeWH

Relatively new concept of brine pre-treatment that does help with early icing but really destroys roads faster. Adds another wet cycle to every storm, and carries the very thing that damages roads - salt - right into the cracks early in a freeze / thaw storm cycle.

:twocents-twocents:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Pullstart

Colorado gets way more snow pack than we do, yet they don’t use salt or brine.  What gives?  :confusion-shrug:

• Like 1

lynnmor
16 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Colorado gets way more snow pack than we do, yet they don’t use salt or brine.  What gives?  :confusion-shrug:

Common Sense????

• Like 1

pfrederi
1 hour ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Relatively new concept of brine pre-treatment that does help with early icing but really destroys roads faster. Adds another wet cycle to every storm, and carries the very thing that damages roads - salt - right into the cracks early in a freeze / thaw storm cycle.

:twocents-twocents:

How else are you going to the legislature and ask for more money to fix the roads

thumbnail_1701872245479blob.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2
  • Heart 1

Achto
38 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Colorado gets way more snow pack than we do, yet they don’t use salt or brine.  What gives?

Got a friend that lives out there. He says they put brine on the gravel roads during summer to keep dust down. Claims low humidity keeps rust at bay.:confusion-shrug:

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1

Pullstart
24 minutes ago, Achto said:

Got a friend that lives out there. He says they put brine on the gravel roads during summer to keep dust down. Claims low humidity keeps rust at bay.:confusion-shrug:

I don’t know, but the two Suburbans we have from Colorado are pretty spiffy!

12BC4EA6-AAFC-40CC-A58F-7797B215D4AE.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

SylvanLakeWH
9 hours ago, pfrederi said:

How else are you going to the legislature and ask for more money to fix the roads

thumbnail_1701872245479blob.jpg

True, but it's missing several key points:

Romans used unlimited slave labor, had no Federal or State or County road bureaucracies, or their nonsensical standards, and had unlimited funding via the next conquered land... and they ran roads and bridges where they made sense for their army's needs and trade, not someone's political district or who might not like the noise.

Today, you will see a gaggle of engineers who specialize in traffic safety, minority DBE contractor set asides, federal on the job training oversight, signage, pavement mix design, construction processes, testing, curbing, drainage etc... each with their own little slice of the design, construction, testing, and inspection pie... specialized more and more so they focus less and less on the overall goal: good safe reliable roads at an affordable price. Much of the cost of a road today goes into paper and hot air - not good base materials, asphalt or concrete... :(

• Like 5

Andy N.

I was 2,000 miles south east of Chicago last week enjoying the warmth and beeches of Anguilla & St. Maarten for our first snow! :D

IMG_4231.JPG.4190d0e2fc7afa1913cad52282a8e282.JPG

IMG_4042.JPG.365de1c2552871c198ace06901a8b146.JPG

Edited by Andy N.
  • Excellent 3
  • Haha 4

Ed Kennell

Second snow this AM.     The Penndot plows are busy scraping the roads before it melts.

104_2685.JPG.a7017d04b20d984a2b1a63fcbd77abe2.JPG

• Haha 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

Woke up to a 1/2 inch of snow here in Richmond this morning . Quite a surprise considering that rain all day and was still raining at 1;30 AM like someone pouring water out of a bucket when I took my old man walk to the bathroom.

• Haha 1