Sign in to follow this  
Wilsonrl48747

cleaning sludge out of a gas tank

Wilsonrl48747

I have an old Sea King outboard motor my father in law gave me. It sat in his basement for about 10 yrs with 2 cycle gas in the attached tank. Of course there was a ton of sludge in it. I cleaned it out with laquer thinner and some bolts, soaking it, shaking the bolts around, rinse, repeat. It got out most of the big stuff, but there is still gunk in there that loosens up then plugs the fuel line and inline filter I put in. I came across some stuff called Marine-clean that supposedly strips out gunk, but I was wondering if anyone had ever used it and how it worked. Its about $20 if you order it online, but I don't want to pay for shipping etc if its not what its cracked up to be. I have also heard of using muriatic acid and then neutralizing it with baking soda when done. Any tips????

oldandred

nope I just add nuts and a few good rocks and put it in the pic up and let it ride around with me all day some times two or three days

HorseFixer

Yep Marine Clean is a POR product and works very well and is one of there steps they use in preperation of thier coating products I have used many of their products for years. They also have a complete Gas Tank restoration kit that works like a champ! I used it on my RJ-56 I just restored and coated the inside of the tank just to be sure! Marine clean works great! :thumbs2: Duke Approved! as their slogan says "THEY KNOW WHAT PERMANENT MEANS"

PORMARINECLEAN.jpg

clintonnut

Isn't a Sea King a Clinton Brand engine??!?! :thumbs2:

Charlie

stevasaurus

I would take it to a radiator shop and let them boil it out...usually pick up the next day and costs about $20. They are pros and you are done messing with it. :thumbs2: worth it.

Raider

Don't use muriatic acid if the tank is aluminum, they will react and ruin the tank.

Wilsonrl48747

thanks guys. I think I will take it into the radiator shop.

It is my understanding that Sea King was made for Montgomery wards by Evinrude. Its a pretty cool old motor.

stevasaurus

actually...I had a 10 horse seaking that was made by Johnson. Even if yours was an evinrude...sears was noted for trying to buy names, like skill, and manufacture the product with thier name and effect a take over. Being a Johnson or an Evinrude means you can get parts for it yet. My guess is that you would need to find coils after you get it cleaned out. Running out of people that were backyard mechanics, fixing a 2 stroke in the 55 galon drum full of water. There are clubs that deal with old outboards, and they would be of great help. I know that Johnson made mine, the serial No. is most important. Any idea of the year? I want to say mine was a 1962 or a little ealier...mixed SAE 30 with the gas...no probablem with mosquitoes running that...but no problam putting the boat on plane either. Tough part...filling the tank top in the middle of the lake with some waves :ROTF:

bottom line...collectors item(not sure what it is worth)...when you can get an outboard now that has the controls in the handle, and you can backtroll and keep a jig in one spot in a river...having the controls on the side of the motor is not even an option. I will out fish you every day, but if you like to go for a ride on the ole Mississippi and a cooler...can't beat that. :ychain:

kind of like riding a 1962-502 or would you rather ride a 1972 raider 10? :thumbs:

answer is...each one has it's moments. :thumbs2:

hope that helps.