buckhornbob

522 xi - engine stops when parking brake released

buckhornbob

Tractor has been running well BUT ... today I changed the oil and filter (Parking brake engaged) and started the tractor to back it out of my shop. 

As soon as I back off the the brake pedal the engine stopped:angry-cussingblack:.  When I push the pedal forward it runs just fine.

Played with it a little but I am recovering from retina detachment surgery and did not want to try crawling around underneath the tractor.

Is there a quick fix?  Might it be a faulty safety sensor? Do I need to remove a rear wheel to get at the linkage/sensor or something else?.

I am not super mechanical and am hampered by my recovering eye - the other one doesn't work at all. 

I do have a very handy neighbour who can help and any guidance would be appreciated by both of us.

Thanks in advance to all the experts out there.

JoeM

Bob a question, is the seat switch disabled. With the seat switch in the circuit it will start and shut off when the brake is disengaged if the seat switch is faulty

look at the center of the drawing the switches feed the k1 kill relay.

image.png.cae28410655409d511be9240b0df6914.png

• Excellent 3

953 nut

4 hours ago, buckhornbob said:

I am recovering from retina detachment surgery

:angry-tappingfoot:         Aren't you supposed to be resting as a part of your rehabilitation? What the heck are you doing messing with the 522? Get back in the house and be a good boy!    :bitch:

I do not own this model Wheel Horse but I know there is a "NO MOW IN REVERSE" switch that will shut the tractor down if the PTO is on and the no mow isn't overridden it will energise the "Interlock Relay" activating the KILL RELAY. Not sure that is the problem but it is worth taking a look. Hope this helps.1838106796_Screenshot(169).png.babfc5801c333017285d0c1e14d53e8b.png

Edited by 953 nut
fat finger

buckhornbob

Hi Joe and 953 Nut

Thanks for your replies and yes 953 I am supposed to be recovering :D.  The surgery was a few weeks ago and the prognosis is quite positive so I am trying to be a good boy and do small things that are not physically taxing. My wife is keeping a tight rein on me as well.

I have a bit more information - 

1. The seat switch has been bypassed and that appears to be working as I can start the tractor without being in the seat.
  2. Releasing the parking brake causes the motor to shut off.
  3. With the parking brake on, engaging the PTO also causes the motor to shut off.

I think this points to a electrical problem but I am not sure where to go next.  An additional issue for me is that I am "colour perception challenged" so I have great difficulty following the wiring diagram when I am looking at the wiring harnesses.

I am pretty sure my neighbour can help with that part  if anyone can give me some guidance on how to proceed.  I am also quite comfortable bypassing that safety feature temporarily, if that is easily done, so I can get my snowblower mounted and be ready for the gifts that winter will inevitably be bringing our way in the coming days or weeks.

Many thanks once again.

Bob

953 nut
2 hours ago, buckhornbob said:

I am trying to be a good boy and do small things that are not physically taxing. My wife is keeping a tight rein on me as well. I have a good wife too.   :handgestures-thumbupright:

I have a bit more information - 

1. The seat switch has been bypassed and that appears to be working as I can start the tractor without being in the seat.  When you say it has been bypassed do you mean it has the two wires shorted together or has it been unplugged meaning the two wires are not connected to anything? I hate to see people bypass safety switches but if the seat switch is disconnected and the two wires going back to the harness aren't connected it is as if the driver is not in the seat on this model according to the diagrams.
  2. Releasing the parking brake causes the motor to shut off.Taking a second look at the wiring diagrams I see that there are some discrepancies in the KILL RELAY from one drawing to the other. Perhaps @gwest_ca can help us sort this out. I don't own this model so I can't confirm which one is correct. One shows the upper terminal of the kill relay going to ground and the other shows the lower wire going to ground.   :confusion-shrug:
  3. With the parking brake on, engaging the PTO also causes the motor to shut off  If your neighbor can take a look at the KILL RELAY wiring and let us know what the actual wiring is we probably can get you going.

107741006_Screenshot(170).png.f4b0db710543aafbfeb0d3aba0a2e07d.png1438205783_Screenshot(171).png.4bd04f20835b462369af82cfddfa1cb3.png

• Like 1

buckhornbob

Hi 953 Nut

Hoping my neighbour may be available to help out this weekend.

When I say "bypassed" I do mean shorted together - the tractor starts and runs without the operator on the seat as long as the parking brake is engaged and the PTO is NOT engaged.

When you reference the "Kill Relay"  are you referring to one of the three Black Boxes near the fuses?

• Like 1

953 nut

We never determined what year your 522xi is, some wiring changes were made over the years.  You may want to do a search for the year of your tractor wiring in our "Manuals Section to help your neighbor trouble shoot the wiring.       https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/search/?&q=522xi wiring Rev'd&type=downloads_file&search_and_or=and&sortby=relevancy

The kill relay is one of those mystery black boxes.

The purpose of the Kill Relay is to ground out the Magneto if the key is turned off or there is no operator in the seat with the PTO switch ON or the brakes not engaged when the operator exits the seat. The brake switch and seat switch are in parallel with each other. If power is applied to the yellow wire on the relay it should activate it and remove the ground from the magneto white wire. Be sure no battery power ever goes to the white wire or it will burn up the magneto.

Remove the battery and inspect all of the wires to and from the PTO switch, brake switch and seat switch. Seems like there could be a wire disconnected 

The Kill Relay should have a Green wire going to the Start relay;  a White wire going to the Magneto; a Yellow wire going to the seat switch and brake switch and two black wires that go to ground.

Hope this helps.

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 2

Jon Paulsen
On 11/23/2023 at 4:08 PM, buckhornbob said:
  • The seat switch has been bypassed and that appears to be working as I can start the tractor without being in the seat.

It is not supposed to start or run without an operator on the seat. So, I'm calling point #1 a fault. 

• Releasing the parking brake causes the motor to shut off.

Releasing the brake should shut down the engine if there is no one on the seat. Should not shut off the engine if someone is on the seat. 

• With the parking brake on, engaging the PTO also causes the motor to shut off.

I believe that is normal behavior, preventing whatever is attached from running unattended/unexpectedly. 

buckhornbob
12 hours ago, 953 nut said:

We never determined what year your 522xi is, some wiring changes were made over the years.

I believe my unit is from 1998 

Serial #  8091636

Model #  73560

And Jon, you are of course correct on all counts - I shorted the seat switch a while ago when I was in a pressing situation for time and never got back to it.  The unit has worked flawlessly until this week.  I have a new seat switch on order but in the meantime I want/need to get this machine running again as snow time draws near.

• Like 1

953 nut

:text-thankyouyellow:          Here is the link to your wiring diagrams.  Happy Hunting!

• Like 1

buckhornbob

Well fellas, my neighbour was over this afternoon and he quickly tuned in to the fact that the "temporary fix" I had done a while ago to short out the seat safety switch had become very discoloured (something I couldn't really see) and it was not doing the job it was originally installed to do.

He removed the end clip and twisted the two wires together and now everything works as expected. 

Yes, it is temporary!!  I am still intending to replace the seat safety switch as soon as I can but, for now, I can mount my snowblower and feel ready for the inevitable snow storms to come.

Thank you all for you sage advice and your patience in dealing with my challenges.

You are a fantastic resource.

Best wishes for a wonderful holiday season and a happy and healthy 2024.

• Excellent 3