fourwheelhorseman

Got a nice parts tractor.. C-160 hydro

fourwheelhorseman

It has the deluxe two piece seat.. with armrests.. the seat is rough though. Also has the hydrolic lift mechanism and the hydro supposedly is on good on it. So now I have a slight dilemma, fix the one I already have which is an 8 speed with the parts from the hydro tractor, then sell the rest to get my money back… or remove the engine off my 8 and fix the hydro tractor… 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, fourwheelhorseman said:

It has the deluxe two piece seat.. with armrests.. the seat is rough though. Also has the hydrolic lift mechanism and the hydro supposedly is on good on it. So now I have a slight dilemma, fix the one I already have which is an 8 speed with the parts from the hydro tractor, then sell the rest to get my money back… or remove the engine off my 8 and fix the hydro tractor… 

Got pics of the tractors in question? 

• Like 3

davem1111
15 minutes ago, fourwheelhorseman said:

1. Personal preference - some prefer gear shifting (and low range on the 8-speed can come in handy), and some prefer the hydro. I prefer the hydro myself, especially with the hydraulic lift.

2. Condition of the rest of the tractor - if all the C-160 hydro needs is an engine (and seat? good seat on the other tractor?), maybe swap the engine over and see how you like driving it? You can always reverse that if you change your mind, within the time you can defer selling something to recover your investment. Maybe one or the other has some valuable common parts you can sell to get your money back without committing to one tractor or the other?

Like Eric @ebinmaine said, some pictures of both tractors would help others evaluate and give advice.

• Like 2

fourwheelhorseman

IMG_1811.png

IMG_1812.png

IMG_1814.png

IMG_1813.png

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

I'd be wanting to test that hydro somehow.  Maybe PTO from another tractor to that transmission pump?

That one's been setting rough for awhile but the C160 is certainly a super desirable model. 

• Like 2

fourwheelhorseman

That’s the hydro tractor.. I’m more concerened about the hydro and lifting mechanism. They’ve been sitting outside for a while now. Although the lines look to be in descent shape and the parts tractor was said to have been in running order before the engine was removed for a rebuild. Both seats are in poor shape on both units. I’ve had several automatics in the past and I’ve owned an 8 speed before, I like the auto over the 8 speed.. but all I’m going to do is blow snow and possibly run a tiller if I can find one.

• Like 3

fourwheelhorseman
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

I'd be wanting to test that hydro somehow.  Maybe PTO from another tractor to that transmission pump?

That one's been setting rough for awhile but the C160 is certainly a super desirable model. 

Exactly my thoughts.. 

• Like 2

fourwheelhorseman

I’m definitely selling the armrest brackets and possible the whole seat, that will finance my new seat cushions or at least help to.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, fourwheelhorseman said:

tiller

They're around....

Some are well used. 

I just picked one up today that's in very good shape.  

• Like 2

fourwheelhorseman

One last picture..the sheet metal seems perfect.. even the stickers are in nice shape. 

IMG_1815.png

• Like 2

fourwheelhorseman
5 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

They're around....

Some are well used. 

I just picked one up today that's in very good shape.  

How much would I expect to pay for a descent tiller? I’ve got the owners manual for one as well as a parts manual.

• Like 2

Horse Newbie
2 hours ago, fourwheelhorseman said:

How much would I expect to pay for a descent tiller? 

I’d say between $200-300, maybe…

• Like 2

kpinnc

I say keep both machines. Blow snow with the hydro, till with the manual! :thumbs:

• Like 3

daveoman1966

That is either a 1974 or 1975 C-160 Auto.  Given that, ---nearly 50 yr old--- its almost a gimme that the hydro will need some work.  Still one of the best Wheelhorse ever made.... I have two of them.   The Sundstrand Auto is model 90-1140... and easy one to rebuild.  I've rebuilt/overhauled a dozen or more of them....easy to do.  If it was MY tractor (wishful thinking), the first thing I would do is rebuild it...the jyd PUMP and hyd MOTOR.   Here is a self-made .pdf file for guidance....narrative and pics.        

SUNDSTRAND Piston-Piston PUMP & MOTOR Refurb.pdf

• Like 3

fourwheelhorseman
2 hours ago, daveoman1966 said:

That is either a 1974 or 1975 C-160 Auto.  Given that, ---nearly 50 yr old--- its almost a gimme that the hydro will need some work.  Still one of the best Wheelhorse ever made.... I have two of them.   The Sundstrand Auto is model 90-1140... and easy one to rebuild.  I've rebuilt/overhauled a dozen or more of them....easy to do.  If it was MY tractor (wishful thinking), the first thing I would do is rebuild it...the jyd PUMP and hyd MOTOR.   Here is a self-made .pdf file for guidance....narrative and pics.        

SUNDSTRAND Piston-Piston PUMP & MOTOR Refurb.pdf 2.6 MB · 1 download

Thanks for that! I’ll look it over later on this afternoon when I get out of work.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
10 hours ago, fourwheelhorseman said:

How much would I expect to pay for a descent tiller? 

8 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

I’d say between $200-300, maybe…

That's location dependent like a lot of things. 

Up here in the far northeast a tiller is more like in the $300-$450 range.  

• Like 2

Pullstart

Late to the party, but nice ride!  FYI those are the same frame, just some different holes are utilized between the two for linkages, etc.

As mentioned, tilling seems to work best with a manual transmission because a tiller tends to push a hydro.  Snowblowing is made easy with the hydro due to the lifting and constant forward/backward motions.

1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

That's location dependent like a lot of things. 

Up here in the far northeast a tiller is more like in the $300-$450 range.  

You plan on rolling some rocks over EB? 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

You plan on rolling some rocks over EB? 

The garden area is added soil. 

Our plan is to use the Single Ripper Tooth to break into the ground and catch the rocks roots etc.  

Then use the tiller to stir it up and mix in manure, fertilizer.  

• Like 2

fourwheelhorseman
1 hour ago, Pullstart said:

Late to the party, but nice ride!  FYI those are the same frame, just some different holes are utilized between the two for linkages, etc.

As mentioned, tilling seems to work best with a manual transmission because a tiller tends to push a hydro.  Snowblowing is made easy with the hydro due to the lifting and constant forward/backward motions.

Plus on a hydro you can slower even than with the 8 speed,  now you guys are making me rethink my whole plan… are these parts hard to sell? I don’t even have a way to sell them.. I used to use eBay back in the day, but they charge so much now I doubt I would even break even.

• Like 3

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, fourwheelhorseman said:

are these parts hard to sell?

I've gotten so I use Redsquare almost exclusively to buy or sell. 

Advertise in our own want ad section and the members here will be the benefactors.  

• Like 2

Pullstart

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/classifieds/

I’d say, if you don’t like where the money goes on eBay, please consider using some funds from selling stuff here to support the forum.  You can enjoy the benefits of unlimited picture sharing and know that you’re doing your part to keep the lights on at this incredible website.

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/store/ 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

ebinmaine

Seconded

• Like 2

Pullstart
27 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Seconded

We already discussed this… Who’s on first!  :lol:

• Haha 3

fourwheelhorseman

So I have a question, is the dipstick on a hydro the same length as an 8 speed?  I’m missing the dipstick on the hydro parts tractor, it’s had tape over dipstick tube for a very long time. 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, fourwheelhorseman said:

So I have a question, is the dipstick on a hydro the same length as an 8 speed?  I’m missing the dipstick on the hydro parts tractor, it’s had tape over dipstick tube for a very long time. 

Off top of my head I don't know but I could check tomorrow.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1