wh500special

Backup camera

wh500special

This summer I bought a 13 year old car for my daughter to drive.  It’s a way nicer car than the beat up pickup I got to use when I was her age, but kidsnowadays…

I never really thought I used the backup cameras in my other cars, but apparently I do as I find myself glancing at the radio in this thing when I put it in reverse.  It’s not a mandatory accessory, but sure is nice to have to eliminate blind spots.  And avoiding accidents for a new teen driver is kind of a big deal. 

So, I found this thing on Amazon for $90.  It got good reviews so I figured it was worth a try.  The camera transmits its signal to the head unit wirelessly, but both pieces need a 12v power connection to the car to function.  

DoHonest camera

I gave the pieces a test run for a few weeks just plugging them into the cigarette lighter plugs to make sure it was worth the effort of tearing the car apart to run wires behind panels.  Test run was satisfactory so I dug in.

I have the little camera mounted on the tailgate using one of the license plate fasteners.   It was a bit tedious to run the power wires through the tailgate and up and around the D pillar to get to the left taillight, but wasn’t too bad.  I tapped into the backup lights so the camera only comes on when in reverse.  

The head unit is stuck to the top of the dashboard.  I ran its wires down through the dash to the fuse block and tapped off a circuit that only gets power when the car is on.  

For being pretty cheap, this thing works beautifully.  There is a 3-second delay when you shift the car into reverse while the camera powers up and the monitor finds the signal, but it works really well.  It even sees in the dark quite well.  The monitor image in reality is clear and crisp, I’m not sure why my phone screwed up the image.   When not in reverse the monitor goes to sleep and blacks out completely, so it’s not a distracting thing sitting on the dashboard.  

I’ve had it on the car for a while and am happy with it.  It helps my daughter who is quite short see what’s hidden behind her that is blocked by the tailgate.  my only fear is that someone will break a car window to take this cheap gadget since it’s displayed so prominently on the dash…

I plan to pick up another one of these things and mount the camera to the back of my boat to provide a view directly behind me when towing.  I’ll mount the camera and pull its power from the boat battery but will keep the monitor portable. The owners manual with this comes with an offer to get a second camera or entire unit for free, so I’ll see if that’s too good to be true or not. 

Anyway, this is a crowd that tends to drive older vehicles so I thought I’d mention this as a nice accessory in case someone is interested.  

Steve

IMG_6056.jpeg

IMG_6057.jpeg

IMG_6058.jpeg

IMG_6059.jpeg

Edited by wh500special
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 6

elcamino/wheelhorse

I put something similar in my 2007 Silverado. Could not mount on the dash due to dash is textured. Mine lays in the cup holder on the arm rest on the seat. Mine has a 7-inch monitor. Works great got it from the jungle site also. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi

I need to get something like this for my WHs.  Especially the snow horses.  When I am all bundled up I do not twist around real well anymore to look behind me..Hooking up  a trailer is also getting harder...

• Like 5

953 nut
1 hour ago, wh500special said:

I thought I’d mention this as a nice accessory in case someone is interested.

Thanks, now if you could hook it up so you could keep up with Red Square while driving it would be a winner.    :eusa-think:    Not too safe, but a winner none the less.

• Haha 3

wallfish
17 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

I need to get something like this for my WHs.  Especially the snow horses.  When I am all bundled up I do not twist around real well anymore to look behind me..Hooking up  a trailer is also getting harder...

That's a good idea! I can't twist and turn or sometimes see well through the snow covered window of the cab.

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Immediately thought of this: Gumball Rally -- "First rule of Italian motor car racing : Whatsa behind you is a no matter..." :lol:

But seriously, reverse cameras are a great idea...

• Like 1

wh500special

I forgot to mention that many of these things, including this one, can receive signals from more than one camera and can even display a split screen.  

The dashboard on this car is textured as well. The suction cup didn’t stick to it at all.  Fortunately there is a little storage tray on top of the dash that had a removable liner.  It’s smooth under that liner and the cup sticks quite well.  That’s also where i drilled the hole to pass the power cable through a grommet.  I figure as long as I don’t lose the liner I can put it back in place if we sell the car or this quits working and needs to be removed.  Nobody will ever know it was there. 

The power cord also has a plug on it for quick disconnect. 

It doesn’t work as well as a factory integrated system, but it’s nice.  No reason you couldn’t put one in your snow cab or aim a second camera down at your hitch ball. 

Steve

• Like 2

tunahead72
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

Excellent idea, and might also work on my bigger International tractor on our place in Virginia.  Twisting around while bush hogging in reverse is seriously painful, especially while I'm trying to keep control of the steering wheel and the clutch and brake pedals at the same time.  I've thought about mirrors, but don't see an obvious place to mount them to do anything useful.

Thanks for posting, @wh500special !

• Like 3

ri702bill
8 hours ago, wh500special said:

or aim a second camera down at your hitch ball.

Where's the skill factor in that ??!!

• Like 1

JoeM

black Friday deal now 79$

image.png.6b1aa039ff8b4367c56d85ea4b591567.png

• Like 2

R Scheer

The aftermarket cameras are very good.  To be different I mounted one to the front licence plate of my truck.  The hoodline is high enough that I'm paranoid about kids walking in front of me in a parking lot.  Probably not necessary, but for the price I like the exfra barrier.  

It had the second camera as an free optional extra, I mounted it to the back of the boat trailer, and powered it from the clearance light circuit.  It's a nice to have, and for the cost (time only), worthwhile.

• Like 3

wh500special
43 minutes ago, R Scheer said:

… my truck.  The hoodline is high enough that I'm paranoid about kids walking in front of me in a parking lot. 

I think you’re ahead of the curve. 

Today’s pickup trucks are gigantic and keep growing.  I’ll bet front cameras end up being mandatory at some point in the not too distant future. 

Fun article

Steve 

IMG_6033.png

IMG_6066.png

IMG_6065.png

Edited by wh500special

clueless

My first question is how long has your daughter be driving?

wh500special
5 hours ago, clueless said:

My first question is how long has your daughter be driving?

Nearly two years.  Maybe a bit less.  I don’t remember exactly how old she was when she got her learner’s permit. 

Steve

clueless
On 11/20/2023 at 8:13 PM, wh500special said:

Nearly two years.  Maybe a bit less.  I don’t remember exactly how old she was when she got her learner’s permit. 

Steve

That's good, it may be the old curmudgeons in me but I think everyone that drives or learning to drive now days should learn and drive at least a year with out of this new help devices, backup cameras, side vehicle warning ect. You need to learn how to drive using you mirrors all the time and backing up looking behind you like we did. Then after a year or so they could start using the new stuff. It is amazing to me how folks in their 30's and younger depended on things that don't require much effort from them, phones, computers, social media, and parents. I'm all for thing making life easier but dumbing you down not so much. When you have lived in the same house for over 25 years and walk out on the front porch and can't point which way is south, Houston we got a problem. Okay I'm done :angry-soapbox: well for now anyway. 

Edited by clueless
  • Like 1

CasualObserver
On 11/20/2023 at 1:30 PM, wh500special said:

Today’s pickup trucks are gigantic and keep growing

Funny you mention that Steve... just not too long ago I saw this reference as well. I've loved my Silverados for many years, but since the new Colorado is as big or bigger than my first Silverado, I'll probably not buy another until they can get this oversized nonsense in check.

FB_IMG_1698173705112.jpg

Truth be told, the next truck will probably be a Toyota anyway.

Nice to know about the add-on backup camera. My daughter is currently permitted, testing next summer. Our little Honda is a no-frills option that I want her to learn on and will be her driver when she gets her license.  I was surprised to find out they let them use those features like b/u cameras and such in the driver's ed now.

wh500special
On 11/21/2023 at 3:16 PM, clueless said:

….it may be the old curmudgeons in me but I think everyone that drives or learning to drive now days should learn and drive at least a year with out of this new help devices…

That’s fair.   There’s a lot of things about which I feel the same (although I doubt my list of curmudgeony things would match up to many others’ lists).  But in the case of driver aids I think they can be a valuable tool at any age and skill level.

Just another arrow in the quiver. 

Steve

wh500special
On 11/21/2023 at 4:16 PM, CasualObserver said:

Funny you mention that Steve... just not too long ago I saw this reference as well. I've loved my Silverados for many years, but since the new Colorado is as big or bigger than my first Silverado, I'll probably not buy another until they can get this oversized nonsense in check.

FB_IMG_1698173705112.jpg

Truth be told, the next truck will probably be a Toyota anyway.

Nice to know about the add-on backup camera. My daughter is currently permitted, testing next summer. Our little Honda is a no-frills option that I want her to learn on and will be her driver when she gets her license.  I was surprised to find out they let them use those features like b/u cameras and such in the driver's ed now.

Now that they’ve widened the Colorado/Canyon they are as big as the full-sizers from a few years ago.  Probably as capable too. 

I traded my F250 for a midsize and aside from the bed length haven’t really missed the bigger truck.  

the weights of trucks too have ballooned. But everything else has gotten outsized too:  pickup trucks, bass boats, bbq grills, RVs, houses, TVs, political bluster…

Makes you wonder where we’ll be in 20 years. 

Steve

IMG_6073.png

• Like 2