pfrederi

KT-17 Question

pfrederi

I have a C-175 that has a gray series 2 KT-17.  The spec # is 24336 which was made for WH.  I assume for dealers to use as replacements for failed Series 1.  Has anyone here run across one??

RED-Z06

Most K long blocks and complete replacement engines ive seen were grey, makes sense the KT would be also.  Its rare to see KTs anymore, of either series.

Bill D

@Brockport Bill has one in one of his C-175's.

Brockport Bill
13 hours ago, pfrederi said:

I have a C-175 that has a gray series 2 KT-17.  The spec # is 24336 which was made for WH.  I assume for dealers to use as replacements for failed Series 1.  Has anyone here run across one??

i have a C175h with a Series 1 engine that's 1983 model #01-17ke03 # 26795 with black engine KT17s # 24223 ---- Also have a C175h with Series 2 Gray engine that's 1984 model 11-17ke01 #28385 #3299 .... However, the Series 2 engine did not have tins on it when I acquired it therefore no engine I.D. number -- I believe the Series 2 engine spec is #24323... I have notes in my file that Series 2 are spec # 24300 or higher so that would include your # 24336 ???????????? the photo below has design that apparently indicates Series 2 -- Also note the Gray engine color ------- Bill

c175 series 2 engine.jpg

• Like 2

johnnymag3

I also have a KT17 on my 417 A.  Its a series 2, but it is black, and original.. 

The Series 2 is sort of a M18,,,,,  No points or coil.  I have had Zero isuues with mine. Very strong, sounds very distinct as a twin.

John

Brockport Bill
7 hours ago, johnnymag3 said:

I also have a KT17 on my 417 A.  Its a series 2, but it is black, and original.. 

The Series 2 is sort of a M18,,,,,  No points or coil.  I have had Zero isuues with mine. Very strong, sounds very distinct as a twin.

John

love that sound of the Kohler twin

Bill D

I kinda miss mine, but something had to go.  Onans are nice, but the sound just isn't the same.

pfrederi

I think by the time of 417s they used new spec  Series 2

ky.JPG

• Like 1

bds1984

I had one.  Here is the thread for it where I installed an oil filter and pressure gauge.  The engine had crazy oil pressure and started insanely quick.  That machine was the second machine I wish I wouldn't have sold (first was a 1984 C195).  With all the good of the engine, the fuel pump was weak so I installed a vacuum pump like newer engines had.  Great engine and a snarly exhaust note.

c-series don

I have a series 2 on my 417-A, with a 2 stage snow blower on it. It deep snow under a load it sounds awesome! 

IMG_0010.jpeg

• Like 1

Brockport Bill
3 hours ago, c-series don said:

I have a series 2 on my 417-A, with a 2 stage snow blower on it. It deep snow under a load it sounds awesome! 

IMG_0010.jpeg

Yikes Don - I didn't think Long Island got that many snow storms that deep?  That looks nasty!!

• Haha 1

Bill D
13 hours ago, bds1984 said:

I had one.  Here is the thread for it where I installed an oil filter and pressure gauge.  The engine had crazy oil pressure and started insanely quick.  That machine was the second machine I wish I wouldn't have sold (first was a 1984 C195).  With all the good of the engine, the fuel pump was weak so I installed a vacuum pump like newer engines had.  Great engine and a snarly exhaust note.

Perfect description of the KT 17.  I made the same fuel pump mod.  Best mod you can do to that engine in my opinion.