bds1984

KT-17 Series II Oil Filter Addition

bds1984

I recently picked up a very straight C175 Auto with a gray Series II that runs great.  I would like to add an oil filter to it but locating a part number for that piece is like hunting for a snipe.  Can one take the oil filter plate from any Magnum twin and use it on a Series II?

SPINJIM

I knw that the KT17 had pressure lubrication on the Series II, but didn't know it could have a filter, since mine does not.  But I see that there are two holes in the sheet metal where a filter can be attached (1st picture).   My magnum M18 has a remote filter kit attached through those holes (2nd picture).    If you can find that kit from a Toro dealer or on ebay, that might solve your problem.   It also has the advantage of allowing better air circulation around that rear cylinder.   Good luck.

Jim

P1011061.JPG

P1011059.JPG

• Like 2

bds1984

I am told that not all KT17 Series II engines have the provisions for adding an oil filter.  The engine I have has the removable block-off plate but what I don't know is if the oil filter adapters are the same between the KT series and the Magnums.  I can find part numbers for Magnums but not for KTs.  I have a remote filter like yours on an M18 powered 520H which is what I'd like, but I don't feel like spending the coin to install one on this engine when I can get an adapter plate for $10.  The tins on this KT17 don't cover up access to where the oil filter would be like how your M18 is.

pfrederi

I looked through the KT series 11 parts manual.  didn't see filters...  I think i have the same setup as yours.  A C-175 with a gray service engine (spec #24336)  They were made much later and I assume WH ordered them so dealers would have something to mollify upset owners who had C-175s that blew up. 24336 is a WH spec and includes the rare thrust bearing on the crankshaft.

19richie66

The owners manual has a section showing an oil filter on a series 2 engine. If it takes an oil filter, there is no reason a remote setup couldn’t work also. I’d run it.

F9C749B5-3865-4586-A06A-AB2B3C081597.jpeg

Edited by 19richie66

bds1984

I didn't see a filter or the block off plate either on all the exploded-view parts diagrams I've looked at today, but I have heard that some had filters equipped from the factory.  Those were never Wheel Horse engines (mostly yellow and green machines).  The problem with all the diagrams I've looked at for KTs, they all show the engine block from the front left and complete ignore the back side.

bds1984
16 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

The owners manual has a section showing an oil filter on a series 2 engine. If it takes an oil filter, there is no reason a remote setup couldn’t work also. I’d run it.

F9C749B5-3865-4586-A06A-AB2B3C081597.jpeg

What owner's manual did you find that from?  I looked in quite a few places, but obviously not enough!

19richie66
4 hours ago, bds1984 said:

What owner's manual did you find that from?  I looked in quite a few places, but obviously not enough!

http://resources.kohler.com/power/kohler/enginesUS/pdf/tp_2107_c_all.pdf?_ga=2.228417757.1946689324.1603324254-1324433038.1543790967

Edited by 19richie66
  • Thanks 1

bds1984

Thanks for the link.  The manual I was thumbing through must have been published between the original Series I and the one you linked above.  I have a filter plate coming that will hopefully be here within the week.  In the mean time I serviced out the engine and installed a matching oil pressure and voltage gauges.  70 PSI of pressure on hot 10W30 is pretty darn good.  

20201023_152357.jpg

20201023_152157.jpg

20201023_152200.jpg

• Excellent 1