Treepep

UM. Can of worms...

WHX??
20 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

Maybe a bit off topic, but up nawth, rust seems to play a major role in devaluing vehicles…

Not much of a problem down here even though they do salt and brine the roads, they only have to do it once every 2-5 years. 
Can anyone of you ever remember when vehicles up nawth could withstand the salt, or has this always been a problem ?

Always been a problem.  Totally different up her Newbie... they salt and brine the roads ... every two to five DAYS ...even if they don't need them. And heavy. Gotta remind you the weatherman is wrong but they treat the roads anyway. They waste the materials for fear of not having it in the budget to waste more money or get more salt from the state next year. 

Many of us go looking for down south trucks... out of the snowbelt states. Washington state is a good state for looking for salt free trucks.  

• Like 4

Horse Newbie
46 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Many of us go looking for down south trucks... out of the snowbelt states

So that’s where all the square bodies are going…😆

• Like 2

Horse Newbie
50 minutes ago, Achto said:

Up Nort here we have two types of concrete. Cracked concrete and concrete that is going to crack

Same here…

• Like 1

Handy Don

In the 90’s some auto makers started to use rust proof metals and/or better factory coatings for their cars. Eventually they all did it. Nowadays a rusted out car is a rare sight unless it’s from the last century! Still see work vans and work trucks with bad rust.

My most recent vehicles (Dodge Caravan, Subaru Impreza, and Volvos ’92, ’94, 04’, and ‘22) have had no rust whatsoever on the bodies. The Caravan did need rusted brake and fuel lines replaced.

• Like 1

Achto
42 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Nowadays a rusted out car is a rare sight unless it’s from the last century!

Cars maybe, trucks maybe not. A very common sight at used lots around here is 2018 & older trucks with brand new wheel flares on them. Is this to make them look cool for better resale??? No!! This is to cover up the rusted out wheel openings, specially on the box sides. GM, Ram, pre-aluminum Ford, all have the same issues. What's worse, these wheel flares trap moisture and salt causing the rest of the metal to fall away even faster. 

A lot of cars have the trouble spots covered in plastic from the factory. They look great on the outside but are decaying under the plastic covers. 

Edited by Achto
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

953 nut

As I recall it the Chrysler minivans were dip galvanized for a while but it added to the weight of the vehicle thus reducing the fuel economy making it difficult to meet government requirements. 

I grew up near Syracuse NY (the salt city) and the roads and parking lots were always salted in the winter.

While I was in high school working at a gas station a Nash Rambler (unibody) was brought in for an oil change. As I raised the lift I could see the reveal between the front fender and the front door getting wider at the top. The floor pan had and rocker panels had rusted through and the only thing holding the car together was the roof. When my parents retired and spent their winters in Florida they bought a new car and it didn't have any rust for about ten years. The first year the stayed in central NY for the winter their car started rusting. :sad:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

peter lena

@horsenewbee  chemicals used to day devour  metals , if I were you , would get after it early . take advantage of the rust free state , regularly see late model trucks , with orange/ yellow rust banding , typically fenders and lower cab areas , my son recently , sprayed 2 gallons of mineral oil in a Mercedes , for oil creep , in every cavity , body seam , grandson , bringing back a  rust free ford from calif , already has the oil soak into it , a rust free car , consider that a sponge , never let rust start , done this for many tears , zero rust , but an oil slick . also use mineral oil as a car rub down ,machine oil  constantly feeding , exterior . keep it oily , Pete 

• Like 2

ohiofarmer

Just to keep it away from this brand sucks and that brand is horrible, consider the Car Wizard on YouTube. He will tell you which years and power trains to avoid. Generally avoid the V-8 engines that run on eight/ 6 and four cylinders to make better mileage. What you save in gas will come back as repair costs later.(example of his advice)

The Wizard will advise on things based on repair costs to stuff that comes into his shop. So hopefully no brand loyalty.

Chances are that if your present truck is doing well and well maintained at 150 to 200 k and not rotten in the body, you should keep it, but that's just me. 

• Excellent 3

wh500special

@Treepep

It looks like you've narrowed your focus to older used trucks, but if the NEW bug bites you again or your wife is able to win you over you might want to consider a midsize truck.  The midsizers from the last decade or so have grown to be just about as large as the full size trucks from the 80's and 90's.  They are typically a bit narrower of course, but otherwise are pretty big.  Most are rated for significant tow capacity and many have payload capacity ratings that will exceed those of many full size half tons.  Listed payload capacity (inside the driver's side door next to the GVWR sticker) can show some half tons - Rams and Toyotas in particular - rated to only carry less than 1000 pounds if they have all the luxuries (I'm sure there is a lot of unrated reserve though).

Gas has been generally cheap in our lifetimes so vehicles have grown.  Today's fullsize trucks are behemoths and the midsizers have sort of moved into the gap they left behind.  If you peruse Fuelly.com for whatever configuration you're considering you'll likely find they get much worse fuel economy than you'll hear anecdotally.  But fuel economy is only one - usually minor - consideration for most of us.

You indicated that your trailer is a single axle, so  I would guess a midsize would likely be appropriate for it.  By your suggesting the Z71 Trailboss I am assuming you regularly need substantial offroad capability and some of the midsize options apparently can excel there too.

The newest Chevy/GMC midsize twins are quite large.  And they are much wider - and presumably therefore more comfortable - than before.  Could be worth a look.  They have a couple of different flavors of the same 2.7L 4-cyl turbo engine that seems to be getting solid reviews and decent reliability.  

I went from a full size 3/4 ton to a midsize welterweight in 2017 have had no regrets.  At times I wish the bed was another couple of feet longer, but it's not been a difficult tradeoff overall.  And as a daily driver it makes more sense for me than the lumbering giants I share the road with.

Anyway, just a consideration n case you've overlooked it.

Steve

Edited by wh500special
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Treepep
5 hours ago, wh500special said:

@Treepep

It looks like you've narrowed your focus to older used trucks, but if the NEW bug bites you again or your wife is able to win you over you might want to consider a midsize truck.  The midsizers from the last decade or so have grown to be just about as large as the full size trucks from the 80's and 90's.  They are typically a bit narrower of course, but otherwise are pretty big.  Most are rated for significant tow capacity and many have payload capacity ratings that will exceed those of many full size half tons.  Listed payload capacity (inside the driver's side door next to the GVWR sticker) can show some half tons - Rams and Toyotas in particular - rated to only carry less than 1000 pounds if they have all the luxuries (I'm sure there is a lot of unrated reserve though).

Gas has been generally cheap in our lifetimes so vehicles have grown.  Today's fullsize trucks are behemoths and the midsizers have sort of moved into the gap they left behind.  If you peruse Fuelly.com for whatever configuration you're considering you'll likely find they get much worse fuel economy than you'll hear anecdotally.  But fuel economy is only one - usually minor - consideration for most of us.

You indicated that your trailer is a single axle, so  I would guess a midsize would likely be appropriate for it.  By your suggesting the Z71 Trailboss I am assuming you regularly need substantial offroad capability and some of the midsize options apparently can excel there too.

The newest Chevy/GMC midsize twins are quite large.  And they are much wider - and presumably therefore more comfortable - than before.  Could be worth a look.  They have a couple of different flavors of the same 2.7L 4-cyl turbo engine that seems to be getting solid reviews and decent reliability.  

I went from a full size 3/4 ton to a midsize welterweight in 2017 have had no regrets.  At times I wish the bed was another couple of feet longer, but it's not been a difficult tradeoff overall.  And as a daily driver it makes more sense for me than the lumbering giants I share the road with.

Anyway, just a consideration n case you've overlooked it.

Steve

yeah I have looked at the big 3 step child trucks.  They would totally handle anything in my near future.  New sounds nice to some folks.  I am not a fan.  If money was no object.. well I probably would buy anything but most likely something old and restored. 

I have the jeep If i were to regularly need off road capabilities.  I do not even need a new truck.  Its just not very pretty anymore (not my words).

Its a truck.  Some dents/dings and scratches.  Zero rust!

I maintain it mechanically and have replaced everything but parts of the motor in the years I have owned it.    It isnt worth anything trade in or private value really.  I own it and it reliably runs so...  probably a keeper.  

Thanks for the thoughts folks!  I will keep pretending to look:D

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

squonk

There are 5 year old trucks rotting worse than 20 yr. old trucks here in NY. 

I bought my 2013 GMC used 5 years ago. It had some frame rust so I had it sprayed at Krown Rustproofing and had it sprayed every summer since except for this past summer. The LR bed side started to bubble around the wheel like they all do. I crawled under the truck and looked up in there and you can put 2 basketballs up in there it was so wide open. I took it to Krown and tell them to make sure they got that area good. 

I get the truck home and the next morning there is nothing dripping from that area. I crawl underneath again and there is nothing sprayed where I told them to do a good job! I called and the said they would give me to cans so I can do it myself. I told them no and they were going to have to spray the entire truck for free or I was calling the owner of the shop

Edited by squonk
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Achto
1 hour ago, Treepep said:

I do not even need a new truck.  Its just not very pretty anymore (not my words).

Maybe a new paint job for your old truck?? Maybe even a color change, if you wish?? You get to keep old reliable & she'll be pretty again. :twocents-twocents: Price should be lees than a new truck.

• Like 2

Horse Newbie
On 11/4/2023 at 11:47 PM, ohiofarmer said:

Chances are that if your present truck is doing well and well maintained at 150 to 200 k and not rotten in the body, you should keep it, but that's just me

:text-yeahthat:… Exactly why I made the post # 14…

276,000 m and sometimes I start it on the second crank.

A great mechanic friend is speculating that maybe I would do well to replace the timing chain (not belt). He says it probably is worn a little, that and the chain tensioner, so the timing may be a hair off.

Used to all it would take is bump the ignition and it would fire right up…

• Like 1

Treepep
1 hour ago, Achto said:

Maybe a new paint job for your old truck?? Maybe even a color change, if you wish?? You get to keep old reliable & she'll be pretty again. :twocents-twocents: Price should be lees than a new truck.

I found one company that said they would paint it for 12K.  I called their bluff and said yeah lets schedule.  "oh we only do insurance work''  I bet!  familiar nationwide company said 800-1000 plus whatever they find.   UH NOPE

I have been tempted to paint it myself but that definitely would not be attractive.

My dog and I go out to our acreage and tool around.  Sometimes when I pull in and stop somewhere it shuts itself off.  So far it starts again:rolleyes:

• Like 2

Handy Don
4 hours ago, Treepep said:

I will keep pretending to look

I’m not conversant on the truck market, but I AM a fan of the Certified Pre-Owned process available from some manufacturers. I’ve gotten two cars that way. Pricing was fair, they were put into excellent mechanical condition, and the plan extended the warranty pretty nicely. In both cases, the cars had come off leases and were turned in for hitting the lease mileage limits.

The only cautions are to check the reviews for the dealer selling the car, and to INSIST on seeing the orders for whatever work the dealer did to meet the inspection criteria.

• Like 2