Skwerl58

Ongoing carb issue

Skwerl58

I have rebuilt my K301 carb three times and the last time I used a Kohler kit. I replaced the float needle and valve parts, new float and all gaskets. Last week I took the fuel pump off and cleaned it up and reused the disphragm and cleaned the valves which were rusty. Today I thought it was good to go and it cut off and gas was running out the carb again. I took it off twice today to clean and double check the float adjustments,  all appeared fine. I adjusted the float at 11/64 up and 1&1/16" down which should be close. I have all new lines and filter and sediment bowl. Any idea to what is happening? I plan on tearing it down again this week to try and solve it. Thanks

• Like 1

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, Skwerl58 said:

it cut off and gas was running out the carb again

This would indicate a foreign object caught up in the needle and seat.  

6 minutes ago, Skwerl58 said:

I took the fuel pump off and cleaned it up and reused the disphragm and cleaned the VALVES WHICH WERE RUSTY.

This, to me, indicates a possible cause of the above issue. 

Solutions?

Do you have a fuel filter between the carb and pump?

Has the fuel tank been removed cleaned and reinstalled?

• Like 2

wallfish

If it has a brass float, remove the float, shake it,  listen and or feel if gas got in there.

If it did, that will cause flood issues. Dry it off, shake it around and look for the wet spot as the gas will seep through and creep around the hole or crack. If that's the case, post it and I can write up how I fix them

If you ordered a cheap chinese carb as a replacement, that's the issue. No more for me since having 3 of those do that and none worked no matter what I tried. Finally fixed them with a BFH

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Horse Newbie
31 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Finally fixed them with a BFH

What is a BFH ?… and does it work well on Chinese carbs ?

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

8ntruck

Big Frigging Hammer.  A sometimes solution for a variety of sticky problems.  If it does not solve the problem, using it sure makes you feel better.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Big Frigging Hammer.  A sometimes solution for a variety of sticky problems.  If it does not solve the problem, using it sure makes you feel better.

True. 

Also has good variability in that the size of above mentioned smack smash crunching device can be adjusted up down and sideways for specific needs of the moment.  

Key is sizing to task. 

My experience shows that the above mentioned carbs usually would do well in adjustment with a 20 lb hammer  but a 16 lb is easier to swing thereby creating better velocity.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

peter lena

@Skwerl58   often mention running in an engine on a SEPERATE  GALLON OF HEAVILY TREATED FUEL , Kroil included in that mixture , separates it from the rest of the system , have 2 fuel filters  on each of my horses ,  .  close to tank , another close to carb . evolution of similar issues has brought me to a regular / yet different approach / cure to fuel problems .  often refer to repetitive  problems for a cure routing to success. fuel lines ok ? every one of these shares the same failure , in a different way / stage .personally like a 3 lb. hammer , how about the fuel tank valve ?  crud in tank ,hope you find it , Pete 

• Like 1

8ntruck

:text-yeahthat:  I prefer the 3 lb hammer, too.  Increased accuracy over the bigger ones.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 2

wallfish

BFH Chinese carb adjustment tool. Look closely and you can see the carb stuck onto the hammer!

hammer_explosion.gif.fb77c90100dd4a1810e317cba15673ab.gif

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Handy Don
25 minutes ago, wallfish said:

BFH Chinese carb adjustment tool. Look closely and you can see the carb stuck onto the hammer!

image.png.17551c83c8b9d55d6b40248908c07296.png

Hooray, I fixed it!

• Haha 1

Skwerl58

My carb is original but this is good stuff! Great humor and believe me if it was a cheap knock off it would have already met its demise and thrown in the recycle pile!! I will tear the old Kohler carb back down, check it out and make certain it is clean. I also picked up a 40 micron filter for between the pump and carb. 

ebinmaine
20 minutes ago, Skwerl58 said:

My carb is original but this is good stuff! Great humor and believe me if it was a cheap knock off it would have already met its demise and thrown in the recycle pile!! I will tear the old Kohler carb back down, check it out and make certain it is clean. I also picked up a 40 micron filter for between the pump and carb. 

Hey if ya wanna send it out to me I'll toss it in the ultrasonic cleaner a few cycles.  

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, wallfish said:

BFH Chinese carb adjustment tool.

THAT'S PERFECT !!!! 

Skwerl58

Thanks for the offer but let me try again. If I can't get it going I just might take you up on it. Thanks again!

• Thanks 1

Skwerl58

I tore the carb apart and the new float was bad, a new brass one that I had put in a couple months ago. I replaced the float with a new one, new Kohler needle and seat and went back with the electric fuel pump. I now have a new sediment bowl, a new filter before the pump and a new filter after the pump. It cranked up and I rode it around for about 40 minutes. It starts good and hopefully it will start up next time. A picture of the 64' 1054 and my 87' 414-8 from today.

20231130_124113.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine

Good to hear it's up and running!

• Like 1

23 Reo

Good looking tractors.

• Like 1