stevasaurus

Prayers for Our Friends in Maine

midpack

I've been through that area many times going to the camp and back. Seems like a very nice place. Tragic 😥 

• Heart 1

Mickwhitt

Thoughts are with all those affected by this terrible event. 

• Heart 1

953 nut

Thank God the shooter killed himself and no law enforcement people were injured.  I will never understand why these mentally disturbed individuals feel the need to kill and injure innocent people rather than just taking their own lives. So many families have suffered senseless losses, Dear Lord please be with these families.

• Sad 1
  • Heart 2

lynnmor

We need to revisit the mental illness situation in this country, some years ago the mental hospitals were closed leaving some disturbed folks to cause problems.  Political correctness can be very incorrect, for example look at the photos of the "homeless" tent cites in California.

• Thanks 1

953 nut

Three forces drove the movement of people with severe mental illness from hospitals into the community:

The belief that mental hospitals were cruel and inhumane; the unfortunate outcome has been far less humane in my opinion.

The hope that new antipsychotic medications offered a cure; if they are taken but who will supervise the administration of these prescriptions?

The desire to save money: somehow the decision makers were able to justify the lives lost and families who suffer the consequences of untreated mental illness because it saved money.        :soapbox:

• Like 2

Horse Newbie
11 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Three forces drove the movement of people with severe mental illness from hospitals into the community:

The belief that mental hospitals were cruel and inhumane; the unfortunate outcome has been far less humane in my opinion.

The hope that new antipsychotic medications offered a cure; if they are taken but who will supervise the administration of these prescriptions?

The desire to save money: somehow the decision makers were able to justify the lives lost and families who suffer the consequences of untreated mental illness because it saved money.        :soapbox:

Nailed it…

• Like 2

Mickwhitt

We have suffered the same thing over in the UK. We used to have dedicated and caring mental hospitals. Now we have none, except "care in the community" which is a complete lie.

Vulnerable,  I'll and sometimes dangerous people have been dumped on the streets with no support. 

Medication is not taken and the only people who end up dealing with them are the cops, and they have neither the time or the training to deal with such people. 

I take part in a scrutiny panel looking at taser use in our police area. Many of the taser deployment we see are mentally ill people who need supervision, not locking up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Handy Don
On 10/28/2023 at 11:31 AM, Mickwhitt said:

I take part in a scrutiny panel looking at taser use in our police area. Many of the taser deployment we see are mentally ill people who need supervision, not locking up.

And so often in these encounters the police don’t have the background information to fully judge the risk level they are facing. Still, the non-lethal (and yes, still dangerous) taser is better than a firearm where possible.