Cee245

Finally dug out a complete gear reduction steering from a 520 i had. 

Anyone have experience installing these on another model such as 3-400 series? Think the Benefits are that drastic over non gear reduction? 

Seems i remember reading on here that it's pretty basic... maybe drilling a couple holes in frame or something? (there are 2 bolts for the steering block on a 3-400 series and 4 for a 520 by looks of it)

I'm not even sure yet what this will go on. Choices are 314-8, , or 416H. 

20231025_233947.jpg

20231026_002622.jpg

• Like 3

JoeM

I put one on an early 520 88 year and the only thing that was different was the steering wheel shaft was longer and stuck up higher. No big deal can be cut and re drilled. I can't remember drilling extra holes for mounting but that sounds familiar. I do know i took the engine off to assemble. 

was using the machine for an FEL

before

image.png.47572c0c200af39fbec31da85f63d61e.png

after

image.png.20087f5468097b3db25126b9c3aba96b.png

'

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
12 hours ago, Cee245 said:

I'm not even sure yet what this will go on.

Does one of those two tractors have a heavy front end more often than another?

FEL. Two stage snowblower?

Maybe a chipper?

Or ..... does one of them turn sharply or often than another?

For instance do you have an area that you mow or snow plow where you need to be able to whip the front end back and forth quickly and easier?

• Like 3

Cee245

@JoeM Good to know about it sticking up a couple inches higher. Did you just cut the end off and re drill for the pin? Or cut section of shaft and weld?

Did you notice a big difference in ease of steering??

Eric,

I do have a 2 stage blower, but havent used it for a few years since the single stage does a good job and is much lighter. 

From your questions, it seems that itd be good on my 416 since i generally use it for mowing and bagging about once a month. 

This will likely be a winter project for me as i have 2- 12yr olds and a 14 yr old, so time is precious now. My 14 yr old shows some interest so ill have a helper. 

Edited by Cee245
Missed info
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
34 minutes ago, Cee245 said:

I'm curious about that too. 

We got a 520 steering and axle from John when we bought the backhoe.  

That'll be installed sometime so we'll see first hand.  

I understand it basically cuts effort nearly in half.  

• Like 2

Handy Don
15 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I understand it basically cuts effort nearly in half.  

In the “standard” 300-400-500 setup, the steering wheel makes one full turn lock-to-lock. With reduction, the wheel makes two full turns lock-to-lock.

• Like 2

JoeM
16 hours ago, Cee245 said:

Good to know about it sticking up a couple inches higher. Did you just cut the end off and re drill for the pin? Or cut section of shaft and weld?

I left the extra stick up it was not a problem. The difference on the FEL was significant. It is a two to one and helped a lot with a load in the bucket. As for cutting grass, there would be twice as much turning in tight areas but is is easy and if that is what you are looking for it is a win. 

the Duke had an old post about taking slop out of one of these set ups to use on a snow blower machine. interesting use of shims 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, JoeM said:

the Duke had an old post about taking slop out of one of these set ups to use on a snow blower machine. interesting use of shims 

I've never studied how one of these double gear reduction systems is set up but I've used those shims in the single reduction stock type system.

If you had any idea how to find that thread or point me toward it, I'd be interested in reading what Duke did.

• Like 1

CasualObserver
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

If you had any idea how to find that thread or point me toward it, I'd be interested in reading what Duke did.

I think this is the link to the thread, 

and here's the video that was originally linked in post #10.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2