hotajax

Carb Adjustment Question K321 Engine 14 HP Kohler

hotajax

If tractor is idling, and I go from idle to full speed with the throttle, and get a small puff of smoke, which screw do I adjust?  The idle screw or the high speed screw?   It also smells a bit rich while I'm cutting, so I probably need to lean that one out.   Thanks

• Like 1

ri702bill

Getting the "transition" from idle to main jets can be a challenge some times. On a fully up-to-temp engine - engine "off", refer to the Kohler manual - close to idle screw GENTLY, back it out the recommended number of turns. Do the same for the main. Start the engine - check the idle RPM. close the idle screw 1/8 turn at a time until the rpm drops, go back to where you were, noting the number of turns - do the same backing it out, rpm MAY rise - that is good - continue until it starts to fall. Go back to the highest idle rpm. Throttle up from idle. Did it go smoothly or stumble?? Do the high speed screw next - same procedure. You May have to richen the mix on the idle to "fix" a stumble.

Short version - OK to go a bit rich on the idle circuit to get a good transition - you do no "Work" at that speed. Get the best rpm and throttle response at the high rpm work range - do NOT go lean!!!

• Like 3

Wheelhorse#1

Also check to make sure the choke is adjusted properly.Sounds dumb but I a had a running rich issue and I somehow overlooked the choke/ butterfly slightly in closed position .

Sometimes the small things can easily get over looked.  

• Like 4

hotajax
45 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

Getting the "transition" from idle to main jets can be a challenge some times. On a fully up-to-temp engine - engine "off", refer to the Kohler manual - close to idle screw GENTLY, back it out the recommended number of turns. Do the same for the main. Start the engine - check the idle RPM. close the idle screw 1/8 turn at a time until the rpm drops, go back to where you were, noting the number of turns - do the same backing it out, rpm MAY rise - that is good - continue until it starts to fall. Go back to the highest idle rpm. Throttle up from idle. Did it go smoothly or stumble?? Do the high speed screw next - same procedure. You May have to richen the mix on the idle to "fix" a stumble.

Short version - OK to go a bit rich on the idle circuit to get a good transition - you do no "Work" at that speed. Get the best rpm and throttle response at the high rpm work range - do NOT go lean!!!

Thanks, Good write up.  Where in RI are you?  I spent ALL of my RI time in Newport.  Avoiding the brig after a night out.

• Like 1

ineedanother
40 minutes ago, Wheelhorse#1 said:

Also check to make sure the choke is adjusted properly.Sounds dumb but I a had a running rich issue and I somehow overlooked the choke/ butterfly slightly in closed position .

Sometimes the small things can easily get over looked.  

True. And you might want to give a good quality new spark plug a try as well before you're chasing the wrong issue.

• Like 2

ri702bill
30 minutes ago, hotajax said:

Where in RI are you?

West Bay - the mainland. Actually, my town is the geographic center of RI.

I avoid "Zooport" - too many ripoff restaurants and maroons. Team that up with beach traffic - not for me....

• Like 1

953 nut

Here is information from the Kohler manual.Rich is betern than lene. If the mixture is too lene an engine will overheat.

742731978_Screenshot(153).png.6249175aad2046a77c73fbc4562a86ef.png

1099152465_Screenshot(152).png.0627bad32c7032d3ad821e9591b56006.png

• Like 1

hotajax
7 hours ago, ri702bill said:

West Bay - the mainland. Actually, my town is the geographic center of RI.

I avoid "Zooport" - too many ripoff restaurants and maroons. Team that up with beach traffic - not for me....

Gotta go where the Navy sends ya

• Haha 2

hotajax

Thanks for the tips on setting the carb.  The diagram from @953 nut and @ri702bill was priceless.  Richened up the low end, and it idles sweet.  No more pops.  Thanks again, gents.

• Thanks 1

hotajax

Of course I don't think it hurts that my tractor is now running on non-ethanol gas.