rmaynard

Garage Heaters

rmaynard

I have a 30,000 BTU propane heater in my garage. Since I insulated and drywalled the inside, this heater has efficiently heated the garage with very little running time.

hotD.jpg.f942abce975095ddc9ea6ab5abc89be7.jpg

Now I decided that I would buy one for the pole shed. Northern Tool has this 50,000 BTU version on sale.

image.png.30563218006e3a8b2f85e6994bf2baa2.png

https://www.northerntool.com/products/mr-heater-big-maxx-natural-gas-garage-workshop-unit-heater-50-000-btu-lp-conversion-kit-model-f260550-27457

I'm not sure how long the sale is for, but I bought it for $379.99 less $20.00 coupon from RetailMeNot. FREE shipping.

• Like 7
  • Excellent 2

WHX??

Sold a few of those when I was in the biz. And have one in my shop. I couldn't buy them wholesale for less than 500. & then a 100 LP kit. Couldn't make a margin on that but when people wanted me to install their big box one I did then. :)

• Like 4

squonk

I have an Empire 25,000 BTU Propane wall heater for now close to 20 years. I 've had to replace the thermopile about 10 years ago and the propane co. replaced the regulator last week. That's it. I only run it when I'm working out there or sometimes over night if I have a paint project going on. Served me well.

heat.JPG.397189ceaa87a7a0f06b228a8ee1a933.JPG

• Like 4

rmaynard

@WHX??  PM Sent

• Like 1

953 nut

Takes a while for this wood stove in the office to get the shop warmed up but once its warmed up it will do the trick. I hang a fan above the door to the shop to get the heat circulating. :jaw:    I don't use it if I'm working with gas.:happy-bouncyredfire:

100_0123.JPG.cf6e596a5f2d5794447efa90d96dd5df.JPG

• Like 4

JCM

Just ordered a 30.000 BTU  Modine Hot dawg heater in LP for the rear shop yesterday. This will be # 2 as I have one in the main garage. Went with the HDS model that is a sealed combustion model that brings in outside air and no worries about an open flame. Will be nice to work in there this Fall / Winter in comfort. Also ordered it with the Summer / Winter toggle switch for air movement in the warmer months. Good choice @rmaynard

• Like 1

WHX??
4 hours ago, JCM said:

Modine Hot dawg heater

I was never a fan of the little Modines. They used to use Honeywell intermittent standing pilot & fuzzy logic gas valves. Always had problems with the pilot plugging up during off season and you don't wanna know what it costs the gas valve takes a crap.

What do they have for ignition now Plunge? HSI?

JCM

This will be my 4th Modine. The first 2 were back in around 1986. Have one here in Maine now in the garage and adding this one to the rear shop. These 2 have Direct spark ignition. All of the units have been flawless in operation. Hope this is a good one too. I'm not jumping ship on Modine yet.

• Like 1

Red-Bovine

We've been heating our 1800 sq. ft. garage/hangar with a 125 btu Reznor natural gas unit for nearly 25 trouble free years. We maintain 45 deg. F. and bump it up when working out in it. Much like a Modine overhead unit. We considered the Hot Dawg unit, but at the time, the units available were too small.

Edited by Red-Bovine
  • Excellent 1

JCM

Reznor and Modine are both well made units. Have installed both in the trade in commercial and residential applications since the late 70's. :thumbs:

Beap52

I've got ventless wall hung propane heater in my work shop.  I keep my shop heated to 45 or 50 degrees all winter and then turn up the heat as needed when working.   I'm happy with it except for when I use spray paint from a can, brake clean or even sawing wood, the floating particulates find their way to the open flame and can make it stink enough that I may have to open a door for fresh air.  Last year I bought a ceiling hung electric heater.  I mounted a furnace filter behind the electric heater's fan and use it to heat the shop to warmer temps when I think I'll do something that will make the open flame heater stink and dangerous.  The electric heater's fan is loud though. 

I believe the safest and cleanest heat is one that is vented to the outside and even better one that uses outside air for combustion.  I'm really careful when using flammable items--I'd hate to find myself lying in my neighbor's yard and a big hole in the side of my shop following an explosion!

JCM
8 hours ago, Beap52 said:

I believe the safest and cleanest heat is one that is vented to the outside and even better one that uses outside air for combustion.  I'm really careful when using flammable items--I'd hate to find myself lying in my neighbor's yard and a big hole in the side of my shop following an explosion!   :text-yeahthat:

rmaynard

Big Maxx arrived yesterday...damaged. :bitch:

You cannot depend on FedEx any longer. Most of the shipments that arrive damaged to me have been delivered by FedEx. 

maxxdam1.jpg.618b4a12040b7c775e3d6a1e82ae49f4.jpg

maxxdam2.jpg.c304f5d713ef85b1d2867e8e46b66a18.jpg

maxxdam3.jpg.6c999c051af93e1093e1407e1f4abe67.jpg

Probably superficial, but I didn't order a damaged heater. Going back and new one is on the way.

• Sad 2