formariz

All of a sudden update

formariz

So after getting checked every three months by the Hematologist for almost a year my blood tests keep getting funkier. Off I go tomorrow for a bone marrow biopsy. The description of the process did not sound very appealing but it must be done. I wonder if I need to take a couple drill bits. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 11
  • Heart 7

JimSraj

Wishing you all the best. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

stevebo

I think they have the power tools covered buddy. Good luck..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

oliver2-44

Prayers sent 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mike'sHorseBarn

Sending prayers your way for good results!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

midpack

Glad to hear it wasn't that bad, my Hematologist wants to do a biopsy as well :( 

• Thanks 1
  • Heart 2

Pullstart

I know it’s not manly to say or hear this, but I love you man!  :handgestures-fingerscrossed: And :pray:it’s just a number and not anything worse.  Keep that positive attitude and roll on!

• Thanks 1
  • Heart 6

rjg854

My prayers 🙏🙏 are with you Cas.

• Thanks 1
  • Heart 2

formariz

So today I went for the results of my bone marrow biopsy. Mixed results . Although there is no myeloma now, which is considered present at a 10% value of certain plasma cells, I am at about 8% which is high risk. Essentially anything above 1% is abnormal. So now I have to do a full body PET to look for any other signs. No treatment is required now but I’ll have to continue being checked every 3 months. Any increase and treatment will start. 
 Causes they say most likely environmental such as exposure to solvents. No surprise there. So I continue stuck in the loop of constant tests. I am not a worrier and don’t think about it much but this is dragging the poor wife down, and that gets me upset. 

• Heart 7

953 nut
2 minutes ago, formariz said:

this is dragging the poor wife down, and that gets me upset. 

That is a subject my wife and I have faced together several times. One of us has to remain healthy to help the other recuperate. Each time I came home with a better report my wife felt better about it than I did. I started out at about 8% and am down to less than 1% so I have gone to once each six months.

6 minutes ago, formariz said:

Causes they say most likely environmental such as exposure to solvents

That is interesting, I was never told what a likely cause was.      :text-thankyouyellow:     

• Like 1
  • Heart 2

formariz
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

That is interesting, I was never told what a likely cause was.      :text-thankyouyellow:

Was told that benzene is highly associated as a cause. Although not used today in most solvents years back was used in high quantities. Studies made found that any trade associated with high use of solvents showed a high occurrence of positive tests. 
 So if it goes up to a 10% or close rate they will start me on medication which will reduce those plasma levels therefore reducing those proteins it produces to an acceptable level.  Had the results been at 10% or higher they would have started radiation treatment. 
  So the first thing the little woman did when we got home was go down to shop. All lacquer thinner, Naphta, paint thinner, acetone ,mineral spirits and contact cement are now gone and forbidden in this house. Looking at her demeanor and intensity with which she did it I just stayed out of her way. 

• Heart 6

953 nut
25 minutes ago, formariz said:

Looking at her demeanor and intensity with which she did it I just stayed out of her way.

You are a wise man.       :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 4

Handy Don
3 hours ago, formariz said:

this is dragging the poor wife down,

She is looking out for her teammate. And rightly! :)

Edited by Handy Don
  • Heart 3

Mike'sHorseBarn
14 hours ago, formariz said:

So the first thing the little woman did when we got home was go down to shop. All lacquer thinner, Naphta, paint thinner, acetone ,mineral spirits and contact cement are now gone and forbidden in this house.

Dang I'm gonna have to really think about my exposure to that stuff when I have to use it. 

Certainly hope you continue to trend in the right direction! 🙏

Edited by Mike'sHorseBarn
  • Like 3

formariz

So I did the PET scan ( positron emission tomography), on Tuesday and already got results yesterday. The short of it is that one gets injected with a radioactive substance which flows through the body which is then imaged showing how the organs work and as I was told it will find any disease present. No wonder the insurance had a virtual cow about it. 
   The good news is that they did not find any  additional spots on any bones in my body . So for now I keep getting tested every three months as before. If those plasma cells found get any higher than the 8% found I will start treatment. 
    The bad news is that the scan works as stated. It will find anything and everything. It sure found a couple more things. This like examining the old car closely. One is sure to find problems. It’s best not to look since it is running fine for now. Well too late for that logic. So more doctor referrals to see about these new findings. I seem to be stuck in this cycle. 

• Sad 4
  • Heart 2

SylvanLakeWH

Continued prayers for a positive outcome for you and your family...

• Heart 3

953 nut
13 hours ago, formariz said:

So more doctor referrals to see about these new findings. I seem to be stuck in this cycle.

I pray that your diagnosis on the new conditions is nothing serious.   :eusa-pray:

:text-yeahthat:           I sometimes think my role in life is to keep the medical community in business. Every test results in another referral and the cycle continues. I guess they are doing what is best for us     :confusion-shrug:          sometimes wonder if it is true.

• Like 1
  • Heart 3

Pullstart

Hang in there friend…

• Heart 3

formariz

A bit stressed over here. Tests keep coming worse every three months. Last doctor visit to review them was last week. This time he didn’t sound so optimistic and was rather brutally honest. According to him I am in the “smoldering” stage which is right before a full positive diagnosis. To me it is what it is but this may finish my wife before it finishes me. I don’t think I am going to have her come with me anymore although she always insists. Waiting for a call now for an appointment at Hackensack cancer center where they specialize in multiple myeloma treatments and get a second opinion . They seem reluctant in starting treatment yet since I am not displaying symptoms of it yet and medication has adverse side effects. Kind of just waiting for the inevitable here. 

• Sad 14

rmaynard

Wow, that is really nuts. Let's hope that a second opinion is a better diagnosis. I'm not sure what my son-in-law's electrician and close friend had, but it was a form of leukemia. There were days when his lymph nodes under his arms were the size of apples. He continued to work and he continued his treatments, and vowed that each one was his last. He said no matter what, he was done with treatment, yet he'd decide to try one more, and here he is today, in full remission. There is always hope. 

• Heart 7

JimSraj

My 86 year old neighbor has multiple myeloma and has been managing it for a number of years. The treatments have had ups and downs but he’s managing very well. Still able to ride his treasured BMW motorcycle with his grandson and others whether permitting.  Drove to upstate NY last Friday for dinner with his sister (87 yo) then drive back home. A good 2 hour drive each way. Hang in there, as far as I know it is not curable but it is treatable.. 

• Heart 4

rjg854

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1