Sign in to follow this  
Rogue

Out of my mind???

Rogue

Okay,

So I was intending on purchasing a roundhood 654 tomorrow (well today now as it is 2:36 in the morning here) for my son and just woke up to my wife in tears telling me she doesn't think he is ready to be riding a tractor. She doesn't think he is responsible enough. I'll admit, he is only 9, but he has to start somewhere.

So, the question remains... Am I nuts? Should I be putting a 9yr old behind the wheel of a 450lb tractor? He wont be cutting grass or plowing, just riding it around the yard, I thought maybe he could play follow the leader when I cut the grass.

Opinions?

bell

You're not nuts....

Both of my daughters have been driving tractors for a couple years now... They are 10 and 11 years old.

Just explain to him how the clutch/ brake works... put him on it, first gear and let him go. He'll figure the rest out.

baerpath

Depends on how good a teacher you are. We have 5yr olds running 8hp pullers in our club. There supervised always but after a few runs they get the hang of it. :thumbs2:

Duane

Jim_M

Limit the throttle if you're concerned about speed.

I was driving farm tractors and working ground when I was 9, learned to drive when I was 8 but couldn't reach the pedals good until I was 9.

dkopp

I've let my son (8 years old) start to cut grass with the Murray rider (automatic) this past summer. I feel safer with him sitting on a rider rather than pushing a mower at that age. Granted our yard is nearly level and I'm always within seconds of him if something should go wrong. Us adults usually don't like all the safety features of the newer mowers but they are nice for when a youngster is learning. Back home when I was younger a neighbor of ours had his 10 year old son driving a full size tractor around the field when they were picking up haybales. So I'd say that it depends on the youngster and what you are comfortable with. Set out some cones in the yard and let the youngsters loose and just see what they can do. Evaluate their skills and either teach them what they are lacking or wait until the maturity is there. Common sense.

Just remember that someday they will be behind the wheel of a vehicle that weighs 2,000 plus pounds and can travel 80 plus on a public street with other drivers. A 450 lb tractor that goes 3 mph in the back yard is a good place to start them on good driving skills. Just my two cents. Don't spend it if you don't want to.

Rogue

Well that makes me feel better. I was starting to think I was a bad Dad.

Our yard does slope and there is a creek at the back. Although I told him, he can only go up to the front of the shed which is about 30-40' from the creek.

My wife is afraid he is going to run into a tree, roll it over and end up in a wheel chair for life. My wife is sometimes a bit dramatic.

I like a lot of your ideas and it's good to know I'm not the only father out there that thinks the same way. I'm going to block 3rd, put on a throttle governor and no attachments. I like the obstacle/cone idea. I did let him drive my C-120 around the yard a few times this weekend, with me right next to him. I even let him finish cutting the grass. He did fairly well. I'm hoping he will be able to reach the pedals better on the 654 (Maybe some blocks on the pedals will be in order). On the C-120 he was practically laying down to reach the clutch and break.

I'm just looking for a bonding experience. My son and I have yet to connect on anything that we both like. Hence, when I saw his face light up with the Wheel Horse tractors................... Being I do love my wheel Horse, if I have to learn these things inside and out to do something with him, I will.

I have fully explained to him that the whole idea isn't to only drive around the yard; it's a hobby and requires some elbow grease. He needs to maintenance on the tractor and sometime it will need a repair. (How often is yet to be determined, I don't know anything about the Lausen (sp?) engines-lol)

Thank you for all of your advice :thumbs: It's good to know that I'm not being way too lax.

-R-

P.S. The wife appears to be calmer now.

:thumbs2:

baerpath

As a personal note, my youngest wanted to get into pulling at 8 So we went and checked it out. After getting his then his older brothers wanted to get into it.

The deal was you keep them clean and work on them and I'll HELP buy your first ones. At one point they had 6 pullers. All theirs and wrenched on by them.

Thats what kept them happy through their school yrs, and I knew where they were and what they were doing and I was doing it with them !

Duane

PS they started with :thumbs2: Cubs and learned real quick what pulls better. :thumbs:

jusjeepn

-R-, Here's a few of my kids working and playing!

The driver is 14

011-1.jpg

This driver is 14 and, I might add, she mow's every week with me and has for 3 years!

014.jpg

This driver is 12 (11 when taken), also mow's with me!

006.jpg

This driver is 6 (was 5 when taken) She is the most cautious when doing chores (picking up sticks around the yard)! Not old enough to mow yet, but does a great job pulling the cart around!

008.jpg

Rogue

Baerpath,

Wow! Pulling at 8. That's awesome!

See that's what I'm looking for. A good clean hobby to keep him busy and out of trouble and a means to spend time with him. :thumbs2:

Thanks

@ jusjeepn - Those pics are adorable. I will have to show those to my wife later. I think she'll get a kick out of them. She has admittedly stated that our son looked adorable riding my 'C' over the weekend.

:thumbs:

Rollerman

-R-.....my son has been "or was" a dedicated Wheel Horse test pilot anytime I brought home a new tractor since about 6.

Didn't matter if it was a Pond Senior or a D series...but the Suburbans & Lawn Rangers are his favorites.

I wouldn't worry to much about limiting the throttle or locking 3rd.

The important thing is to supervise him untill he can handle one on his own & to involve him in the hobby.

I've seen a lot on nice round hoods at shows setup for younger drivers with the foot controls moved back closer to the seat.

It be a pretty easy mod.

Enjoy it while it lasts...my son Taylor is turning 15 in a few weeks & wouldn't notice a Wheel Horse unless a girl was on one or one was raced in the Fast & Furious movie. :thumbs2:

Rogue

Yeah my son being only 9 gives me a tad bit of time. But you are correct, it will not last.

I'm just really looking forward to working with him on something. We've even got my father interested in getting one again. He's going with to see if he can find one he likes.

I showed him an RJ-58 on here and he told me to ask the guy if he would consider shipping if we arranged everything. ha-ha 3 generations. :thumbs2:

dkopp

You'll never know what they are capable of unless you let them try. Mistakes learned on their own will be valuable learning experiences for them.

Put them in a controlled situation and see how they react to it like driving sideways on a slope. Walk right next to them and let them run over a rock, or your foot and see what they do when the tractor "feels' like its tipping. Don't try this on a very steep slope but one that is gentle enough for you to control the situation but steep enough that they get the idea that this is not where they need to be.

Practice panic kills with the key switch as not all youngsters driving will be able to fully reach the pedals and confusion in a panic situation may have them reaching for the wrong pedal. If the foot slips off the pedal, you have just initiated round two of the situation which will not be as controllable as the first, that is almost a guarantee.

Make it fun for them, have a tractor driving derby and award prizes for best driver, best backing, best trailer parking (for older ones) etc.

HorseFixer

Rogue I taught my 8 year old Grand Daughter this spring the Ins and outs on the tractors and she drove all around the 2009 wheel horse show in PA. Take him out to a level open field or parking lot and have at it! :thumbs: Have him practice simple things and maneuvers in first gear. shifting clutching braking. Then as he gets better let him use 2nd and third. Good Luck! :thumbs2:

WorkHorse001.jpg

WorkHorse007.jpg

WorkHorse004.jpg

taycotrains

Show your wife this....

and then this one.... this is 2 years later .

He is 10 now and still has all his fingers !

BT

rustbucket

yeah Duke's grand daughter was a very very safe driver at the big show this year.

Red Iron

It's never too early to teach some one a new hobby or get them

joining you, unless they're still in diapers (we can wait :thumbs2: )

Kids look up to their parents to give them something to do or showing

how things are done (or made), etc. Keeping them involved with you

makes the "family bond" even stronger.

You will be glad they learned something and seeing the smile on

their faces when they help you- that's PRICELESS!

Rogue

Those are all fantastic. I'll be showing my wife those shortly.

For now..... Introducing my sons new 654 :thumbs2:

We got the 42" Plow, 36" Snow Blower, This little Dump cart and the 32" Cutting deck. 2 sets of rims and tires, the originals and a newer turf saver set. I'll be putting on the originals until I can afford new.

Hey anyone know what that thing is with the fuses in it and what is suppose to protect it. Finding information about these is like pulling teeth.

I don't think I'll be banging out the hood... that's a little beyond my scope. Probably just try to find a new one. That and I need the ignition switch so I can dump that kill switch on the side.

Looks a little dumpy but nothing a good cleaning tearing apart, painting (knew there was a reason I bought that Binks) and seeing if I can figure out how to put it back together won't fix :thumbs:

Not sure where I'm suppose to post pictures... but here goes :ychain:

dscf2451r.jpg

dscf2467.jpg

dscf2462g.jpg

dscf2461.jpg

dscf2460d.jpg

dscf2456l.jpg

dscf2468f.jpg

dscf2459s.jpg

dscf2458.jpg

bell

Looks GOOD!!! The attachments are a nice bonus also!!! :thumbs2:

The thing with the fuses is exactly that... the fuse block. Look in the vendor's section, GlenJeri makes NICE reproduction covers for them...

From the pictures, the hood looks pretty good... It's nice and solid anyhow. The metal used to make the hoods is nice and thick... it is pretty easy to hammer and dolly them back into shape. I suggest trying it anyhow. You don't and expensive set of hammers and dollies, just grab some hammers and maybe a thick chunk of metal... (or you can use another hammer as a dolly) and have at it.

Really nice looking tractor though... :thumbs:

Rogue

Hey Bell,

Cool! I'll check out Glen.

Thanks for the kudos.

CasualObserver

That looks like a great project! Have fun with it. Please start a thread in the restoration section that we can follow along with and you can get answers to any questions that may pop up. Looking forward to following this one. :thumbs2:

I see Jon answered you about the diode cover... you can see a nice original engine setup in formariz's 653 photos in the gallery. 653 shortcut link

Rogue

Nice thread!

I will definitely add this to the "restoration section". Lord knows I could use the help. I've never done anything more than change the oil, fill the tires, change the trans fluid and minor adjustments to a carb... As of now, I'm thinking the engine is going to need a rebuild. Keeps overspeed'ing. So either something minor like the governor spring or the governor gear assembly. Man I hope it's not the latter :ychain:

I did manage to find the manual online for the H60. All be it makes little to know sense to me at this point being I'm so new to this stuff. I wish I could find something specific to the H60 only or something with lot's of pictures. Ya know, like paint by numbers :thumbs:

Thanks again, Jason :ROTF:

:thumbs2:

clintonnut

Nice tractor. It has some goodies also such as the seat back, cushion, and blower housing screen. If you don't want him running the throttle up you can adjust the throttle so it doesn't rev as high.

Charlie

HorseFixer

Nice looking Tractor! :thumbs2:

Rollerman

That is a nice looking tractor & still very complete.

You don't see the flywheel screens to much on 40+ year old Tecumseh's

Word of caution though....these will multiply. :thumbs2:

bell

....these will multiply. :thumbs:

x2 :thumbs2: