dclarke

702 project

dclarke

Made a little more progress on tear down today, I found a few things that need attention but nothing too bad really. The steering gear had a tooth missing so I replaced the gear, the fan gear looks good and the lower steering shaft support is pretty sloppy so I’ll replace it. 

IMG_8155.jpeg

IMG_8161.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 3

WHX??

Lotsa parts here Denny use your shout out you need. 

• Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
47 minutes ago, dclarke said:

the lower steering shaft support is pretty sloppy so I’ll replace it. 

IMG_8161.jpeg

I see the clean one has a bushing.  

You go back and fix em later for replacement parts ? 

• Like 2

WHX??

Good eye EB... I have been known to do it on a full blown resto or even a mechanical only. Let's just say I think Denny and I are cut of the same cloth as far as sloppy steering goes. 

20170215_175439.jpg

20170216_184252.jpg

20170217_142452.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 5

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Good eye EB... I have been known to do it on a full blown resto or even a mechanical only. Let's just say I think Denny and I are cut of the same cloth as far as sloppy steering goes. 

20170215_175439.jpg

20170216_184252.jpg

20170217_142452.jpg

I'd gladly trade some carb cleaning for you doing a bore n bush on a couple of those.  

• Like 1

dclarke
53 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I see the clean one has a bushing.  

You go back and fix em later for replacement parts ? 

I needed the steering support on my last rebuild machined for a bushing and I had a spare support laying around at the time so I had my machinist bush it too. 

• Like 2

kpinnc
On 10/8/2023 at 1:54 PM, dclarke said:

I’m not sure the tires are original.

Not sure either, but my 701 has the same tires on it. Looks great regardless.

• Like 3

Lane Ranger

I was with Denny Clarke at the Prairie Land Show when he bought this 702.  I am glad he bought it !  He will do right by it.

I noted how original it was during the show.  Only thing I saw not original was the new elbow pipe put on the motor oil pan to remove old oil.

I did comment to Denny about the unusual thing about the H Y Hein Werner unit fluid container.  No port on the container for filling the fluid.   I have not seen too many like that but apparently this was the way the early HY units were made for Wheel Horse.    I know Rodney Burger has a similar unit with no port in the HY fluid container that he put on his 1045 Wheel Horse. 

The last photo is Rodney Burgers 1045 HY unit. 

IMG_7537.jpeg

IMG_7481.jpeg

IMG_7465.jpeg

IMG_7466.jpeg

IMG_7467.jpeg

IMG_7449.jpeg

IMG_0950.jpeg

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Excellent 6

WHX??
6 minutes ago, Lane Ranger said:

No port on the container for filling the fluid.   I have not seen too many

How do you fill it or even check the level then?

Lane Ranger
20 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

How do you fill it or even check the level then?

Jim.  You use an eye dropper or like I did a meat baster to fill the Allen head plug on the side cast piece.   I know the real small funnels will work also but it does take awhile and patience to fill these type canisters.

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

dclarke
2 hours ago, Lane Ranger said:

I was with Denny Clarke at the Prairie Land Show when he bought this 702.  I am glad he bought it !  He will do right by it.

I noted how original it was during the show.  Only thing I saw not original was the new elbow pipe put on the motor oil pan to remove old oil.

IMG_7537.jpeg

IMG_7481.jpeg

IMG_7465.jpeg

IMG_7466.jpeg

IMG_7467.jpeg

IMG_7449.jpeg

IMG_0950.jpeg

Lane, I’m gonna fix that new oil drain elbow. 

IMG_8168.png

IMG_8167.jpeg

• Like 3

dclarke

I got the transaxle apart and found the small end of the cluster gear was bad so I’ll replace it and I have a reverse idler and an input shaft gear that are in better shape than what came out of this tranny so I’ll use those also. All the bearings look good at first glance, hopefully seals and a gasket will be all I need. 

IMG_8173.jpeg

IMG_8176.jpeg

IMG_8177.jpeg

IMG_8178.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 4

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, dclarke said:

gave the seat a couple coats of satin finish clear instead of an oil treatment, hoping to keep the seat of my pants clean.

What did you use for a scrubbing sanding whatever media to clean the seat and bring it red ish before the clear? 

dclarke
8 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

What did you use for a scrubbing sanding whatever media to clean the seat and bring it red ish before the clear? 

I scrubbed it with an SOS pad then lightly wet sanded it with 400 grit sandpaper. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

Terry M

You’ll have it running by the end of the week…lol

• Haha 1

WHX??

Yes he will he doesn't mess around and have 15 pages down and not even have a roller yet like some here...ahem... we know! :lol:

Tire combo is choice Denny. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

dclarke

I made some progress the last few days, the dash decal was in sad shape so I ordered a new one from Terry. The dash plate on a 702 is cast iron and pretty rough for a decal, I gave this plate a skim coat of body filler then sanded it smooth before applying the decal. I also added a bushing to the gas tank housing to help tighten up the steering. 

IMG_8279.jpeg

IMG_8275.jpeg

IMG_8280.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5
  • Heart 1

dclarke

The front end of the lower steering shaft was wore so I made a longer shaft and added bushings to both ends as well as a shim washer and cotter pin on the rear of the shaft. 

IMG_8267.jpeg

IMG_8268.jpeg

IMG_8270.jpeg

IMG_8269.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4

cschannuth

Great job as always, Denny. You may remember I’m a big proponent of using matte clear to preserve the patina look, although I use it on the entire tractor. My 606 still looks just like it did the day I cleared over it years later.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

dclarke
1 hour ago, cschannuth said:

Great job as always, Denny. You may remember I’m a big proponent of using matte clear to preserve the patina look, although I use it on the entire tractor. My 606 still looks just like it did the day I cleared over it years later.

I know you use the clear, Craig. I sprayed my seat with a satin clear and decided it was too shiny so I picked up a can of Matte and sprayed it over the satin. I like that look better. 

• Like 4

peter lena

@dclarke nice piece there , noted your smoke related start , you will be starting / running this as you experiment , and plan out your set up ,  why not use the heated engine time , with some added zinc  , https://www.landmsupply.com/rislone-engine-oil-supplement-concentrate-with-zinc-treatment-11oz?gclid=CjwKCAjw-eKpBhAbEiwAqFL0mh7TgDt6jHHGk6z-r8JCOIjZ0LSWpUASb-  use this in all my engines , with every oil change , directions on bottle , I use an Oregon , small engine measuring cup , ROTELLA 30 WT OIL .get a couple of hours on it , note smoke reduction , engine running easier . just a suggestion , also like NAVAJO WHITE PAINT ! it fits the era . anything I suggest , has many hours on it , Lucas  CLIMBING GEAR OIL, use that too , very quiet , easy shifting . pete   

• Like 1