WHMan2012

GT-20 with 44" Snowblower

WheelHorseNut
1 minute ago, WHMan2012 said:

LMFAO No you didn't hurt my feelings lol, I'm glad you brought it up, like I mentioned earlier I've been all over this thing a 100 times trying to not forget something lol.  I appreciate any and all comments, I may change things that are brought up and then again I may just leave it the way it is, depends on money and time. I will be talking to my neighbor down the street he's a machinist and works out of his garage, I want to see if he can build me a larger drive pulley for the motor to the snow blower. That is one fix that I really want to have done before snow flies.

Excellent!

That's something I always wanted to get for my garage -- a lathe.  I have some stuff at work I could use and I have contacts as I work in the manufacturing industry, but I hate to bother people with one off parts.

I have a cool little mini lathe that is bench top mounted and I can make small parts with it, but couldn't turn a pulley on it.  Someday, when I get a bigger place. someday...... haha

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHMan2012

The guy I use down the street, seems to love it when I stop by because it's not the normal stuff he's use to doing so it gives him something different to do and I think he likes the challenges. He's the guy I used to build me a new shaft for this blower when I went through it. My dad was good with that stuff, man the things he would build always amazed me, but I was more into small engines, fishing and hunting. Now I wish I sat there and watched him more, although he did teach me a lot about welding and working with metal, but it was just enough to make me dangerous, lol. Growing up my Dad would sell Rupp snow mobiles for extra cash right off our front porch in the '70's, so we grew up on Rupp snowmobiles and mini bikes and so on but we were far from rich we just knew how to fix things and keep them going. Sorry for the rant lol, I'll get back out in the garage now, lol.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

WheelHorseNut
18 hours ago, WHMan2012 said:

The guy I use down the street, seems to love it when I stop by because it's not the normal stuff he's use to doing so it gives him something different to do and I think he likes the challenges. He's the guy I used to build me a new shaft for this blower when I went through it. My dad was good with that stuff, man the things he would build always amazed me, but I was more into small engines, fishing and hunting. Now I wish I sat there and watched him more, although he did teach me a lot about welding and working with metal, but it was just enough to make me dangerous, lol. Growing up my Dad would sell Rupp snow mobiles for extra cash right off our front porch in the '70's, so we grew up on Rupp snowmobiles and mini bikes and so on but we were far from rich we just knew how to fix things and keep them going. Sorry for the rant lol, I'll get back out in the garage now, lol.

That's some good stuff right there.  Yeah, I notice when I DO give odd projects to my suppliers (we do a decent amount business with most of them so they'll generally oblige) , they're all mechanically inclined so they like to figure things out and come up with work arounds and interesting ways to solve the problem.

• Thanks 1

WHMan2012

I enjoy doing different projects it keeps my mind alive and fresh lol. Today I took the time to cut a spare set of tires just in case these let go middle of a storm. Tried a different pattern with the fronts we'll see how they work.

IMG_2185.jpg

IMG_2186.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

WHMan2012

Today I just took care a few loose ends, I finished up the air intake area, cleaned up the " Knee Busters " lol my machinist buddy down the street came up and he's going to build me a bigger drive pulley for the snow blower. So all in all another productive day. I also added the knob to the hood lever. which I've been meaning to do as well and my correct new drive belt showed up today so that's all set as well. I should probably make a list of things I need to finish up on this rig, nah I'll find out when she's wide open and I engage the blower lol that'll be more exciting. LMFAO

FullSizeR (1).jpg

FullSizeR.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
36 minutes ago, WHMan2012 said:

. I should probably make a list of things I need to finish up on this rig

@Pullstart could give you some tips on which piece of greasy cardboard/cahdboahd to use. 

(I had to put both pronunciations of the word so you and him would both know what I wroted.  

37 minutes ago, WHMan2012 said:

nah I'll find out when she's wide open and I engage the blower lol that'll be more exciting. LMFAO

37 minutes ago, WHMan2012 said:

FullSizeR.jpg

:ROTF:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Pullstart
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

40 minutes ago, WHMan2012 said:

. I should probably make a list of things I need to finish up on this rig

@Pullstart could give you some tips on which piece of greasy cardboard/cahdboahd to use

I love to do lists in the shop!

• Haha 2

WHMan2012

Every time I make a list I either never stick with it or I change it so many times I end up forgetting what i was I was making a list for lol. Plus I like working from the hip and creating as I go, makes it more exciting when I think of something cool or unique. I guess that's just me being a simple guy, nothing complex here lol. Gotta start looking into led lights for the front and a Blinky light for the back. Also some fenders lights possibly and whatever else I can find so people driving by at night don't clip me, lol. Also, thinking of cutting up some atv tires I have to possibly make my own rubber chains, any thoughts on this would be great, thanks.

• Like 2

wallfish
On 10/9/2023 at 9:17 PM, WHMan2012 said:

I need more of a strobe light not a fan of those fast blinky lights

How about a strobe from a commercial van. Like a Verizon van uses. You're close so send me your address through a PM and I'll send it if you can use it. No charge

IMG_0375.jpg.73a466db6fd3af20ec37ae8cdfbb4de4.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

wallfish
On 10/12/2023 at 2:48 PM, WHMan2012 said:

I enjoy doing different projects it keeps my mind alive and fresh lol. Today I took the time to cut a spare set of tires just in case these let go middle of a storm. Tried a different pattern with the fronts we'll see how they work.

Wrap a piece of #40 roller chain length wise around the fronts. Tight with no air, then air'em up until the tire bulges to get them really tight. If they're not super tight they will roll or work their way off the sides. A testament to how much side pressure they are holding and keeping the steering better aimed under harsh conditions. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHMan2012

First off a Big Thanks to Wallfish for the blinky light, I really appreciate the help. All finished with the rear now as far as that goes, gotta get her off the bench and finish her up, ie. wiring, switches and dashboard covering. Still waiting on my drive pulley for the blower and looking into a bigger battery with more cranking amps to supply the needs of the tractor, lol. Hopefully everything goes well this winter and there's not a lot of ( now what's that noise or where's that smoke coming from, or even better now why won't you start lmfao ). Fingers crossed, once I get her down off the bench, I'll be running her through a lot of tests and double checking things before snow flies. I appreciate all the likes and comments, hope everyone else's projects are going smooth as this one is for me, Thank God For Spare Parts ! LOL

light 2.jpg

light 1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

Moparfanforever

Did you happen to take pic's of your muffler build?? Curious about the materials you used, especially the baffling material. 

WHMan2012

LOL Baffles ? There's none of those in this muffler. I just drilled the two holes in the side of the main pipe for the existing pipe to fit into, capped one end and drilled the other for the tail pipes and honestly it sounds great still has that smooth Onan sound. It's not loud as you may think, but I'm almost deaf in one ear and the other ear has tinnitus so the ringing supersedes everything else lol. I used electrical 1" conduit for the piping and had the 3" piece for the muffler itself just laying around. Best thing I've found is just experiment with some piping, just don't weld it up completely until you've found the sound you're looking for. I personally like loud but smooth especially in the winter because the snow drowns out a lot of the noise, but the neighbors still know I'm out there, lol.  Remember when you're building a muffler, go big on the main section but smaller on the exit pipes. If you go too big you're allowing more noise to escape as well. Just my opinion, I'm sure other people will have their way, this is what I've found out over the years. Good Luck !

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

WHMan2012

I did find these two photos of the building of my exhaust. The photo of the exhaust pipes going into the main pipe isn't where they were welded, I actually pulled them out a little further, but wanted to show you, that there were no baffles inside and yet it sounds great, to me the neighbors probably not so much lol. Hope these photos help you or anyone building their own, out. 

IMG_2119.jpg

IMG_2120.jpg

• Like 1

WHMan2012

Today I added a protective cover over the gas cap to help keep the rain / snow out, since the gas tank is now exposed to the elements, I also installed my auger drive pulley on my motor that I've been waiting on, can't wait for snow now, bring it and I'll full send it for sure, lol. I'll post pictures by the weekend on how that came out, only cost me $90 and well worth the wait and money, especially if I had to go and try to find the right one somewhere else. Pretty much wrapping her up now just got a little wiring to do and I still have to find a nice bright light or lights for the front, Also, need to get some rear 5 lug hubs, just haven't come across a donor tractor yet, Thanks again for all the views and reactions, once again !

IMG_2331.jpg

IMG_2332.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

Moparfanforever

You have done a great job on this and well thought out project. 

Sorry if I missed it, but did you use an electric fuel pump for the fuel tank relocation??

Great job!!

• Like 1

WHMan2012

Thanks, but time will tell if it was " Well thought out ! " Lol I thought I was going need an electric fuel pump and still may when the tank gets low, but for now the mechanical pump pulls it just fine. The fuel line runs pretty level until it goes up the fuel pump, like on the other rear fuel tank tractors. I think because these tanks are taller and hold 5 gallons, that it shouldn't be a problem, but I'll post any issues I have withe her going forward. Definitely need to go with a larger battery, with all the lights and everything I'm not sure the standard garden tractor battery is going to hold up, but again I may be wrong, so we'll see.

ebinmaine
40 minutes ago, WHMan2012 said:

larger battery

The heavier duty U1 with 330, 350 CCA should be ok with a good charging system on the tractor.  

WHMan2012

That's what I'm currently running in it, so unless the battery is on it's way out, it seems to struggle with cranking the engine over cold. I have used car batteries in the past, like my neighbors 2004 Hyndai battery fits perfect, so that's where I'll probably end up, they're just so expensive,  As far as the charging unit working on this motor that's the one thing I haven't gotten around to checking, but I will tomorrow when I'm wiring the lights up. .Also, here are a couple photos of my new drive pulley for the snow blower.

IMG_2341.jpg

IMG_2342.jpg

• Like 1

Pullstart
22 hours ago, WHMan2012 said:

Also, need to get some rear 5 lug hubs, just haven't come across a donor tractor yet, Thanks again for all the views and reactions, once again !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, WHMan2012 said:

I have used car batteries

Check with your local salvage yard(s).  

Most places in Maine don't sell used batteries but there's one right near me that does.  

I use a group 35 in my 70s C Series tractors.  

Convenient because a bunch of fairly late model imported cars have them.  

Last time I got one was fall 2022 I think. Paid about $30 or so.  

• Thanks 1

WHMan2012

Well finally some snow in our forecast, tomorrow I'll take out the snow beast for her maiden voyage lol. I'll do my best to get some good videos and photos of her moving our snow into the neighbors yard lmao. My expectations are high, but in the back of my mind lies the question What's going to be first to go, the tires with the heavy dry rot, maybe a belt, lol I guess we'll find out tomorrow after the storm. I've triple checked everything ran multiple tests but none of which included the White Stuff and we all know once you put these tractors under a load especially with these big blowers on them it's do or die. So, I'll let you all know tomorrow how it went, if she goes great then she'll get new tires all the way around and maybe a fresh rebuild paint job in the Summer, lol.

• Excellent 2

Moparfanforever

Good Luck !!

:thumbs:

• Thanks 1

WHMan2012

Whelp !! I've got good news and some not so good news, lol. This thing throws awesome, runs great, But the tranny isn't doing so good once she warms up. The drive and lift both start to struggle after about 5 to 10 minutes of use. on level going i can deal with it, but I know it can't be good to keep running her like this either. Is there anyone on here that knows these trannys that can offer me some help ? The level is full and i turned the lever into travel mode and worked the forward / reverse lever back and forth hoping to bleed out any air, but still the same senario. Any help would be greatly appreciated, but I have a feeling this is the reason the previous owner stopped using her years ago. When I was building this project it had ATF in the tranny and when I drained it and changed the filter it had the original Wheel Horse filter still on it ( or at least it looked original ! ) but the oil looked very good no water or discoloration. So that's where I'm at, my wife took some videos but we have to edit them to shorten them up to send to the computer so I can post them. Hope everyone else's day was a success during the storm we got about 8" - 10" where I live light and fluffy good playing snow. Thanks Again as always !!

• Like 1

wallfish

Weak hydro when warm indicates some worn parts in the pump. Some of the hydro experts should be here soon to help and better guide you as I'm not one.

BUT --- as a backyard hammer mechanic my thought is if it works good when cold, that's because the fluid is thick and as it warms it gets thinner and loss of power.  Have you ever seen how THICK this stuff is?

https://www.amazon.com/Lucas-Oil-Transmission-Fix-Oz/dp/B00Y24VVVW/ref=asc_df_B00Y24VVVW&mcid=a11e1c1fb65b3651871e135266eb214c?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=79920882154668&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583520401302294&psc=1

I'm not advocating this as a proper fix but it MIGHT work until a proper fix or trans replacement. Guess it could also cause a definite trans replacement too! LOL Just throwing it out there.

The pump on my Roof 60 tractor was a little weak when warm so I "thickened" it up with that Lucas stuff and worked on that one but it also doesn't run all the time or do actual work. Just cruise at tractor shows so...

• Thanks 1