Mike_eash

I need crankshaft for kohler k241 10hp anybody??

Mike_eash

Hi guys

I am in need of a crankshaft (used) for a kohler k241 10 hp 

I broke mine would someone have one to sell?

Or know somewhere to get one?

I can't find one 

Thank you

16963804450886709316935133271648.jpg

1696380604415354738173809258074.jpg

16963807358669191617199550344986.jpg

gwest_ca

Is the output shaft 1" or 1-1/8" in diameter?

Wheel Horse used both in 10hp models

• Like 1

Mike_eash
3 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Is the output shaft 1" or 1-1/8" in diameter?

Wheel Horse used both in 10hp models

1 1/8"

squonk

You can melt the aluminum off of the crank with muriatic acid. Then possibly have it turned .010" undersize and find an .010" rod.

• Excellent 3

Achto

I'm with Mike. I would see if you can have that crank turned down & use an under sized rod.

You have the piston pulled out of the cylinder. This means that you will also need to run a ball hone through the cylinder & install new rings on the piston, at the very least. Your old rings will never seat properly again.

I would measure the cylinder though to make sure that it is still with in specs and does not need to be bored out.

• Like 1

953 nut

I see a broken piston ring and a broken connecting rod in the picture. The engine block needs to be stripped down all the way to be cleaned up properly. A slight bit of shrapnel from the rod will cause big problems if you don't.

The block and crank shaft should be taken to a good machine shop for measurement first to determine what needs to be done for a rebuild. There is no need to spend money and time rebuilding an engine that isn't going to be worth having.

• Like 1

Wild Bill 633

Also, if the crank is undersized, the crank journal can be spray welded and ground back to standard size.

Edited by Wild Bill 633

Mike_eash
3 hours ago, Wild Bill 633 said:

Also, if the crank is undersized, the crank journal can be spray welded and ground back to standard size.

It those threads where the flywheel nut goes on that are broke

Can that be fixed

Wild Bill 633

I would ask a machine shop to drill and tap the end of the crank the same size thread and use a bolt of the proper grade for the torque requirements. 

squonk

I have a crank out of a late 60's WH 12 HP K301 1 1/8" output dia. 5/8" thread on flywheel side. I believe the crankpin and bearing surface diameters are the same . I melted the aluminum off of the journal and there are a couple of spots on it so I think it should be turned. If you could take some measurements I can compare them to mine.

c1.jpg.bfd9e9c0e6238719b22511df4ecca929.jpg

c2.jpg.3c2d736f026dd9cd1c1cd19439804eaf.jpg

Mike_eash
On 10/5/2023 at 10:20 AM, squonk said:

I have a crank out of a late 60's WH 12 HP K301 1 1/8" output dia. 5/8" thread on flywheel side. I believe the crankpin and bearing surface diameters are the same . I melted the aluminum off of the journal and there are a couple of spots on it so I think it should be turned. If you could take some measurements I can compare them to mine.

c1.jpg.bfd9e9c0e6238719b22511df4ecca929.jpg

c2.jpg.3c2d736f026dd9cd1c1cd19439804eaf.jpg

It looks the same to me

Yes I'm interested for sure

I called A-Z they have to pull one don't know when they will.get to it

How much you want for it?

Mike_eash
7 minutes ago, Mike_eash said:

It looks the same to me

Yes I'm interested for sure

I called A-Z they have to pull one don't know when they will.get to it

How much you want for it?

Oddly enough I don't have my crankshaft here at the moment but my threads are 5/8"

And I measured the inside of my bearings just with a tape measure it was 1 9/16"

What do you think? I can take more precise measurements later as well

Mike_eash
Just now, Mike_eash said:

Oddly enough I don't have my crankshaft here at the moment but my threads are 5/8"

And I measured the inside of my bearings just with a tape measure it was 1 9/16"

What do you think? I can take more precise measurements later as well

@squonk

squonk

I can get some specs on the bearings and crank pin diameter. And try to get a good overall length. 

Do you have the spec # off of your engine? 

Edited by squonk

squonk

Crank pin and bearing diameter the same. 

image.png.786ddd11e2a57d52771cb50f86abb0e1.png

Overall length 15 3/8"  1 1/8" output shaft dia. No guarantees it's going to work and it should probably need turning. The 10 and 12 HP engines have a different stroke. I measured approximately from the centerline of the crankpin to the centerline of the crankshaft and I come up with 1.75".

Measure your crank throw as close as you can. I found this on Miller's site:

• To identify the K241, M10, K301, M12, K321, M14, K341, M16 and K361 Kohler crankshafts, the K241 and M10 cranks have a shorter stroke than the other cranks. You can compare a K241 crank to a K301, K321, K341 and K361 crank by placing them side by side, and with the counterweights down, looking at the bottom part of the rod journal, the journal on the K241 will be closer to the main journals. (3/8" of difference in stroke.)

A-1 Miller's Crankshaft Machine Repair Service - (Added 2/3/21)
Drill and tap flywheel end of Kohler K-series crankshaft for installation of 3/8" bolt when threads on integrated 5/8" stud are damaged beyond rethreading or when 5/8" stud breaks off. No need to purchase another high-dollar, hard to find crankshaft. Precision work performed in large metal lathe. Hardware include: 3/8-24 UNF grade 8 bolt, split lock washer and 3/8" x 5/8" adapter step washer. $55.00 for labor and hardware.

CONTACT AND DEAL WITH THIS GUY AT YOUR OWN RISK! He has good info but is not to be completely trusted

Edited by squonk

kpinnc

I don't think the 10hp crank is compatible with the 12hp. The 10 horse crank has completely different counter weight and throw than the 12.

14 and 16 hp are the same, 10 and 12 are not.

squonk
6 hours ago, kpinnc said:

I don't think the 10hp crank is compatible with the 12hp. The 10 horse crank has completely different counter weight and throw than the 12.

14 and 16 hp are the same, 10 and 12 are not.

The counterweight is the same with an early 12 . The later version had the flat weight. But yes the throw is 3/8" different.

Mike_eash
15 hours ago, squonk said:

The counterweight is the same with an early 12 . The later version had the flat weight. But yes the throw is 3/8" different.

@squonk yes it won't work but I appreciate the effort on your part very much!!

And thanks for the info

• Like 1