budman2

314-8 2000 model volt meter maxes out when started

budman2

Hi folks this is budman2, trying to get my 314-8 year2000 model not to max out the volt meter when running!!!!!! any help would be appreciated, Thanks budman2. 

953 nut

Have you confirmed the voltage reading with a different volt meter? Be sure the voltage regulator is well grounded to the engine block.

• Like 1

budman2

I have tried a new volt meter and yes it does have a good ground. With just turning key on it reads 13volts when running it maxes out on the meter!!!!!!!!!!!

Handy Don
2 hours ago, budman2 said:

I have tried a new volt meter and yes it does have a good ground. With just turning key on it reads 13volts when running it maxes out on the meter!!!!!!!!!!!

If you’ve satisfied yourself that the meter is more or less correct, then the next likeliest culprit is the voltage regulator.

Make extra sure that the body of the regulator is solidly grounded--test with a good ohm meter between the regulator body and the battery negative post. Should be ZERO ohms. Anything more than zero is not ok.

There is no easy on-tractor way to test a regulator thoroughly. Fortunately, they are not that expensive to replace!

• Like 3

budman2

Thanks Don, where is the regulator located? not that good at wiring!!!!!!!!!!!!!budman2 

peter lena

@budman2  have any alligator clip  test wires ?  that rectifier set up on the cooling tins  is known for rust and poor grounding , try going from battery  ground cable bolt point , tp the rectifier , bolt / screw mount point , see if there is a change , would also go over every related electrical connection , plug in areas , verify as you test , see how it reacts to movement . Pete 

Handy Don
12 hours ago, budman2 said:

Thanks Don, where is the regulator located? not that good at wiring!!!!!!!!!!!!!budman2 

Yikes, that’s a good one.

Hoping someone with a similar model can post a picture, since I don’t a tractor like that one.

budman2

Thanks Peter Lena! will try that today!!!!!!!!!!!!!budman2

budman2

I thank you all for your input but still can't get the meter to go down! maybe it is defective also! I am still using the tractor runs and cuts good !just didn't want to burn up anything or do do damage to the tractor, Thank you all budman2

Gasaholic
16 hours ago, Handy Don said:

There is no easy on-tractor way to test a regulator thoroughly. 

Say What?

was never a problem for me?  Kohler Command, regulator mounted on tins fire up tractor to high idle (full throttle) Meter on AC, check AC output to regulator (24-38 v AC), switch meter to DC scale, check output from regulator, if it was over 14.8 volts, same meter scale, measure from ground of regulator body to the battery negative post , if you get anything other than 0 volts (give or take a tenth or 2) you got a voltage drop in the ground side, so you need to fix grounding (loose bolts, cooling tin, corroded battery cable on either end, or someone bolted a cable to a painted surface, for example) and re-test, if volts still high, replace regulator... I mean, 5 minutes tops for someone practiced at it? 

budman2

Thanks Gasaholic! will check it out, budman2  You all have been a big help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1