enamel

I knew stuff was made cheaply but geesh.

enamel

This is a bolt from a harmonic balancer puller kit. It's like the head was tinned on or crimped on? You can tell by the pics the head wasn't part of the bolt/shank. Just kinda surpised considering these are made to have tension applied to them. So imagine my surpise when the top shot across the shop. 

20230924_211455.jpg

20230924_211513.jpg

20230924_211521.jpg

• Sad 6

8ntruck

That is a classic low cycle fatigue failure.  Most likely caused by a flaw in the upsetting process used to form the head or possibly a defect in the rod stock that the bolt was formed from.

• Like 2

ri702bill

Were you using an impact tool?? Although slow, a breaker bar and constant torque usually works best.

• Like 1

Pullstart

I’d suggest replacing that with a grade 8 bolt from a trusted source.  Most of my cheap puller tools loose threads first…

• Like 1

Streetrodchev

Been there. Had it with a bolt for wheel weights and also one from my moldboard plow. 

IMG_3261.jpeg

Streetrodchev

IMG_4027.jpeg

peter lena

@enamel  you might have lucked out !  notice the square  CARRAGE BOLT BASE ?

ri702bill

Chinesium steel??

• Sad 2

peter lena
1 minute ago, peter lena said:

@enamel  you might have lucked out !  notice the square  CARRAGE BOLT BASE ? visit , h/w store , big box , possibly find a matching size base to cut / fit ?  looks  easy to me , Pete

• Confused 1

lynnmor
22 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

Chinesium steel??

Yep, that batch was from recycled steel found in a garbage heap.

• Thanks 1

peter lena

@wallfish   yup, regularly , enhance a failed area / spot , usually never replace with the same type that failed , you can always paint it red . simple perfect example , a sloppy trunnion joint , change it to a HEIM JOINT  of similar  connection point ability , smooth / solid / reliable , also don't tell anyone  you eliminated the problem . oily , Pete

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

wallfish
6 minutes ago, peter lena said:

@wallfish   yup, regularly , enhance a failed area / spot , usually never replace with the same type that failed , you can always paint it red . simple perfect example , a sloppy trunnion joint , change it to a HEIM JOINT  of similar  connection point ability , smooth / solid / reliable , also don't tell anyone  you eliminated the problem . oily , Pete

53 minutes ago, peter lena said:

@enamel  you might have lucked out !  notice the square  CARRAGE BOLT BASE ? visit , h/w store , big box , possibly find a matching size base to cut / fit ?  looks  easy to me , Pete

@peter lena enamel's bolt is NOT a CARRIAGE BOLT. It's a flanged hex head bolt used for a puller and it needs to turn. You CAN NOT fix or enhance that with a carriage bolt. Hence confused

streetrodchev posted a broken carriage bolt as a demonstration that he also had some bolts fail too. He never really asked HOW to fix anything and I'm sure he easily figured it out and replaced it. Probably looked easy for him too as it's not really rocket science. Not sure how he "Lucked Out" on anything at all as it's just as simple to change a carriage bolt as it is a regular bolt.  Hence someone is confused !

I have absolutely no clue how you believe HEIM JOINTS and TRUNNIONS even remotely apply to this thread. Hence another confused. I wasn't going to tell anyone but since you tagged me.

• Confused 1

JoeM
2 hours ago, Streetrodchev said:

bolt for wheel weights and also one from my moldboard plow

I found McMaster has carriage bolts that are rated grade 5 if needed. Alot of the box store stuff is grade 2. 

image.png.8c616fa1baf15c53d23b5c3e6e246110.png

• Like 2

ri702bill
10 minutes ago, JoeM said:

I found McMaster has carriage bolts that are rated grade 5 if needed. Alot of the box store stuff is grade 2. 

Joe - a classic dilema like the chicken and the egg.....

Do you WANT the bolt to snap if you hit something fixed at speed while plowing??? If it does, it may lessen the damage to the tractor & plow.......... Grade 2 is sufficient if you do not use the equipment as an earthmover!!! Rule of thumb - if you USE the trip springs more than twice a season - fix what is tripping them!!! :lol:

• Haha 2

peter lena

@wallfish  making a plank walk set up now on my deck , so I can throw my self on a sword  . will be looking thru  a straw , as I leap . oily

• Haha 1

squonk

I have broken grade 2 , 5 , 8 bolts. I have also broken more Snap-On and Mac Tools breaker bars and sockets than the cheapies. I have abused HF tools to oblivion and they lived to work again. 

Sometimes stuff breaks because it's saving something else. Bolts and screws are mass produced. Sometimes they come out with a internal void, no threads or cracks