formariz

Question for the power tool gurus

formariz

So as per my other thread I got a portable metal band saw which is now mounted on a dedicated metal table making it a vertical band saw. 
 On these saws the guided twist the blade 90 degrees from the position they are at the wheels. My question is if there is one of these saws that will allow guides to guide blade without twisting it. That would make it exactly like a bandsaw and allow clearance from blade to saw body such as when ripping a long piece. As they are now that is limited to about 5” since off-cut will hit saw body. 

ri702bill

Cas - all the ones I've seen and used are like that.

I own a HFT corded hand held saw that i got on sale, as the cordless versions were arriving. Yes, they do twist the blade.THAT is why I asked how it did for tracking....

Edited by ri702bill

formariz
33 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

THAT is why I asked how it did for tracking....

Sorry, misunderstood question. It’s not a big deal since what I use it for will have short off cuts and I can always reverse it or cut it off. It only has 1/4” of space for off cut. It would however make it a lot more versatile when using it with table if blade could be left in its natural position. I’ll probably see if a different guide can be adapted to it. 
IMG_4426.jpeg.6cdfc7ed8128995a697a6f6585cbdbf2.jpeg

Edited by formariz
  • Like 1

Ed Kennell

I just bought this one at todays auction for $45.    It twists the blade 45 degrees and has a throat width of 3 inches for ripping long pieces.

104_2359.JPG.96546569cd3abee897ca90cbace0f16e.JPG104_2358.JPG.afafc1314ad43e56d126208172eb9edf.JPG

• Excellent 3

ri702bill

Cas - all the ones I've seen and used are like that.

I own a HFT corder saw i got on sale, as the cordless versions were arriving. Yes, they do twist the blade.THAT is why I asked how it did for tracking....

ri702bill

Ed - good score on the convertable saw.Did you get the bolt-on table for vertical use??

Identical - almost  - to my HFT band saw.

104_2358.JPG.afafc1314ad43e56d126208172eb9edf.JPG

Edited by ri702bill

Ed Kennell
26 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

Did you get the bolt-on table for vertical use??

No  table with it Bill, but I plan to make one.    Does your HF use a 1/2 X 65 X .025  blade?    

ri702bill
44 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Does your HF use a 1/2 X 65 X .025  blade?    

Ed - close - 1/2 x 64.50 x .025. THAT is a common size - only a quarter inch - pulley to pulley shorter.

There was a recent post regarding modifications others and I have done. With the saw in the horizontal position, remove the 4 bolts that hold the gearbox cover on.

Check the fluid - should be full AND see how the brass worm gear looks - if it is paper thin, time to replace it. Box uses 400 weight gear oil.....

• Thanks 1

Ed Kennell
5 hours ago, formariz said:

. My question is if there is one of these saws that will allow guides to guide blade without twisting it. 

That would be a fixed vertical band saw.     Seems that is what you really need for ripping long pieces.

formariz

I looked at that type . Pretty nice with the 3” throat but I can’t justify the floor space it takes for the number of times I use it. I was actually offered a 14” metal bandsaw if i wanted it from my neighbor but again floor space is precious here. 

• Like 1

Handy Don
30 minutes ago, formariz said:

I looked at that type . Pretty nice with the 3” throat but I can’t justify the floor space it takes for the number of times I use it. I was actually offered a 14” metal bandsaw if i wanted it from my neighbor but again floor space is precious here. 

There is logic behind the twist. That alignment facilitates hand-held use by putting the handle in position for the operator to apply pressure and guidance single-handed. The bench/table setup is the secondary use and hence is not optimal.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
12 hours ago, ri702bill said:

Did you get the bolt-on table for vertical use??

Bill, Do you have a pic of the table  ?       Any review on the cheap HF blades...TPI ? 

ri702bill

Ed - here are pictures of the two modifications i did to mine. The supplied table was too flimsy for safe, comfortable use (emphasis on safe). It can accept a miter gage, but does not come with one. Table bolts on where the horseshoe guide is and has a 2nd mount, a leg brace on the right side. The other was adding a 1/8 NPT drain nipple & cap for the gearbox. That 400 wt takes a long time to come out!!

My opinion - the cheap HFT blades are worthless. They do sell a domestic high quality one that has variable pitch. That one is excellent - variable pitch is more self cleaning and lessens the need for changing to a specific TPI blade. @wallfish will agree and chime in....

Download the HFT bandsaw manual - yours is probably identical. The guide bearings do get chewed up in use and will need to be replaced.

Bill

P1010189.JPG

P1010188.JPG

Edited by ri702bill
  • Thanks 2

Ed Kennell

Cas  @formariz, sorry for pirating your post,  But we are on the same topic and learning.

formariz
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

Cas  @formariz, sorry for pirating your post,  But we are on the same topic and learning.

Nothing to be sorry about Ed. Always learning new stuff in these diversions. Another great thing in this site. A simple question opens a whole new wealth of information. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

wallfish

Yes, I prefer a variable pitch blade for the big saw. The cut much nicer and cleaner as @ri702bill suggested.

For porta band saw I use a Milwaukee 18 TPI.

Nice find on the saws

• Like 2

Handy Don
15 hours ago, wallfish said:

Yes, I prefer a variable pitch blade for the big saw. The cut much nicer and cleaner as @ri702bill suggested.

For porta band saw I use a Milwaukee 18 TPI.

Nice find on the saws

After stupidly ruining two bandsaw blades trying to cut a hardened bar (and finally resorting to a cutoff wheel), I got new fine and coarse variable pitch bands. I agree, they are a great improvement.

Edited by Handy Don

formariz
1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

After stupidly ruining two bandsaw blades trying to cut a hardened bar (and finally resorting to a cutoff wheel), I got new fine and coarse variable pitch bands. I agree, they are a great improvement.

Are those available for the portable ones? This one is a bit rough.

Handy Don
17 minutes ago, formariz said:

Are those available for the portable ones? This one is a bit rough.

Seems like each brand of saw has a distinct (and critical) band length. In my case, for the Milwaukee 12v portable, it's 30-9/16”--yes, to the correct 1/16th of an inch. There are variable 8/10 TPI for thick and 12/14 for thin metal. Here’s one. I’ve now learned to keep spares on hand.

30-9/16 in. 12/14 TPI Compact Extreme Thin Metal Cutting High Speed Steel Band Saw Blade (3-Pack) For M12 FUEL Bandsaw

You’ll have to look carefully on the interweb, starting via the manufacturer’s website, for your saw’s band length to see what’s around. Be prepared for the “cheap razor; pricey blades” phenomenon--3rd party blades are now available (though not well reviewed) for the Milwaukee but that was not so until 2+ years after it was released.

Good luck! (I still think you made a wise investment for your use case.)

Edited by Handy Don

Ed Kennell

A couple mods to the saw.

The worm gear looks good, but that unattached cork gasket was sagging and rubbing on the gear.   

104_2361.JPG.883ffcb6d93b0ec5adfba97a48f7d275.JPG

104_2360.JPG.47d3be282d963a915d719c2b377ec379.JPG

Replaced the cork with rubber glued to the cover plate.

104_2362.JPG.251fdc62ab7a24989a8154f4e5676243.JPG

Made a small table.

104_2366.JPG.d4e87a6613ead5217f43acdfc50488b9.JPG

Added a pair of wheels.   This thing is heavy and I need to be able to turn is for doing long cut offs.

104_2368.JPG.fee55f4a08a92206412c8748b7e22ba4.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1