Dieselcowboy

550 lawson engine

Dieselcowboy

I’ve struggled with lawson engines forever. Never got one to run well or at all. Now is the time…. Have 2 , the 550 and 551.  
Last I messed with these was maybe 8-10 years ago but I remember the 550 I could not get running at all. I’ve  rounded up several updraft carbs just in case needed. 
Asking here for any tips, pointers, helpful info to get these engine running like new. Grateful for anything you guys can thing of ! 

9A3FFFE4-A65F-49B5-A745-186E9BD444EA.jpeg

wallfish

Ugh. No fun to dig deep into those engines. Adjusting points and timing is a huge PITA because the flywheel needs to be removed for access.

Cas @formariz has plenty of experience with them to possibly help you out

formariz

What is exactly the problem with them? Fuel, spark? As for the updraft carburetors, the tillotson, should be only on the 550. Those are a bit mysterious and hard to deal with. If you are going to use them become real familiar with them before. There is literature on the manual section about them.Just to get tractor running and eliminate any other problem I would use a Walbro such as on the 551. Once running right with that one and you have studied the tillotson, i would then attempt that one. Those engines are very finicky as to timing also. If no one has been underneath that flywheel before that you know and you have spark I would for the time being stay away from that. Lets see what you have and what you think is the problem and well address one problem /engine each time.

• Like 6
  • Heart 3

stevebo

Positive ground …🤦‍♀️

Cas is a good one to reach out to as he helped me year ago with one I had back then. 

• Like 1