Jon Paulsen

Perfect Tires for Me :D

Jon Paulsen
  • Inexpensive - Carlisle X Trac ATV Bias Tire - 16x6.50-8
  • Good quality (I expect)
  • Should look nice with my large rear aggies

I don't know how much these have been discounted, but I expect anything you find like this from a good brand will be 2X to 3X the price. $45 each at Amazon. This tire is discontinued. 

Rough measurement seems they are about 16" tall and the lugs are about 1/2" deep. 

IMG_5337.JPG

IMG_5335.JPG

IMG_5336.JPG

Edited by Jon Paulsen
  • Like 7
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

Should be great in mud/dirt/sand. Decent in snow too. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

Awesome!  I have a set or two of those waiting for a tractor…

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Achto

I have a set of the those on my C-145 that I use for plowing snow. They are excellent steer tires for that application.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ri702bill

And should ride just fine without chattering your teeth like some ag's do.

Where do all the spiny nipples end up??? :dunno:

Edited by ri702bill
  • Haha 3

Jon Paulsen
6 hours ago, ri702bill said:

Where do all the spiny nipples end up??? :dunno:

They hook up with spiny bras and live happily ever after :lol:

15 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Should be great in mud/dirt/sand. Decent in snow too. 

:handgestures-thumbupright: 

After warranty expires, maybe I'll get me a sipin' tool and do some sipin'. :greetings-clappingyellow:

In Injana, a proper sipin' tool is a exacto + propane fire :lol::lol::lol:

I think if siped like an automotive all terrain or like a turf tire, these would be nice on turf. Chop about 1/2" ought of the lugs like a rib tire, and I think you'd get 50% as much "rib" as the real deal. Chunking out ribs + siping might make a great $50ish all purpose tire for those who have all purposes. Then you can make a porch swing for a chihuahua when it's worn out :lol:

• Haha 4

Jon Paulsen

Soooooooooo, valve stems. Metal or punch in rubber? Pros and Cons?

I know the pros and convicts for 4WD/offroad/dirtbikes/etc., but this is my first vehicle with a max. speed of 5 MPH :lol:

Edit: I just looked again and it seems I actually have the right size in short rubber/snap in type. Ima gunna try it. Still be interesting and good for future replacements to read about the various opinions. 

Edited by Jon Paulsen
  • Like 2

ebinmaine
23 minutes ago, Jon Paulsen said:

Soooooooooo, valve stems. Metal or punch in rubber? Pros and Cons?

I know the pros and convicts for 4WD/offroad/dirtbikes/etc., but this is my first vehicle with a max. speed of 5 MPH :lol:

Edit: I just looked again and it seems I actually have the right size in short rubber/snap in type. Ima gunna try it. Still be interesting and good for future replacements to read about the various opinions. 

I've had two sets of tires fluid filled at two different shops.

One set tubeless.

If memory serves correctly the first shop required heavy duty bolt in metal valve stems.

It's not so much about the speed that we are going. It's about the environment that we might be in.

If I was operating in an area where I might be prone to catching loose rocks or sticks or heavy vines or something like that, I would use metal very much on purpose.

I use tubes in every tire I change now because it's easier for me to re-inflate them and set the bead.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

davem1111
On 9/14/2023 at 9:22 PM, Jon Paulsen said:
  • Inexpensive - Carlisle X Trac ATV Bias Tire - 16x6.50-8
  • Good quality (I expect)
  • Should look nice with my large rear aggies

I don't know how much these have been discounted, but I expect anything you find like this from a good brand will be 2X to 3X the price. $45 each at Amazon. This tire is discontinued. 

I got a pair of these for the front of my GT-1848 a year ago, for about the same price.  I love them and might buy another pair for one of my other tractors, especially if they are discontinued and they discount the price even more.

image.png.5b19edd84c6864d7f1f1c8ad30ce9c09.png

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Jon Paulsen

Rims made pretty with Rustoilum Almond,

IMG_5383.JPG.871af58cd9bf89dfcf33d250f6e2db43.JPG

then nice pain job destroyed by some hack :lol:

IMG_5385.JPG.ce4962c236da25a1f90c910f95753dcf.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Jon Paulsen said:

Rims made pretty with Rustoilum Almond,

then nice pain job destroyed by some hack :lol:

You can use the playing cards trick to mask and repaint.  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Jon Paulsen
5 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Great idea! Keep me from funding Eastwood :lol:

Out of spray, but I have a can of brush-on Almond, so I might try to touch up the nicks on these, but will want to spray the rears soon, So, thanks! 

Edited by Jon Paulsen
  • Like 2

ri702bill
19 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Rust-oleum contains fish oil as the rust deterent, and that is why the paint our of the rattle can stays soft for sooooooooooo long.....

Playing cards - get a pack of the larger plastic coated ones at your local Dollar Store. Mount and inflate you tires prior to painting.

Deflate the tire, array the cards, cover the remaining part of the tire. Paint as usual, let the paint "dry" for a couple of hours before unmasking.

Bonus - keep the paint in a pan of hot tap water before starting and between coats. Raises the internal pressure, gives a better finish.

P8030181.JPG

P8030182.JPG

P8030180.JPG

Edited by ri702bill
  • Excellent 3

pacer

I use worn 2" sanding belts and as @ri702bill describes - 'deflate', tire tuck the belts in edge of tire and paint. Much quicker than stuffing all those cards in - tho that does work well!

• Like 3

ohiofarmer

I used some open tread tires that were for an ATV and even more open than yours on a 520 and they worked great without weights. I tried aggies and nothing doing..These tires were speed rated for 50MPH and past the age date.. anyway, i think that yours will do the job.

• Like 2

Jon Paulsen

IMG_5404.JPG.d7e9e9d03e43cde8269c91288eb0952b.JPG

IMG_5407.JPG

IMG_5411.JPG

I don't normally show off my nipples. But this time I make an exception for educational purposes. 

Edited by Jon Paulsen
  • Haha 4

SylvanLakeWH

:scared-eek:

:D

• Haha 2