Stormin

Wheel Horse Woes.

Stormin

Yesterday I decided it was time The Black Horse, my C-121, had a run out. It hadn't been started for a few months though the battery has been kept charged.

Usually starts right up after a squeeze or two of the primer bulb. Not this time. Turned the key and nothing, not a peep, zilch, zero. Checked battery and fully charged. Lights worked but no starter. No click from the solenoid. Not even after a gentle tap or two. Checked the wiring and connections. Checked out the switch. Still nothing.   Finally after much head scratching I removed the solenoid to see if it could be taken apart. Riveted together and was contemplating drilling out the rivets when I decided to try tapping it again. But this time placing it on the solid surface of the bench. Two good bats with a hammer and when tested with a spare battery and a length of wire, it was heard to click away quite merrily. 

Solenoid back in place and and wired up, Turn of the key and the starter whirled away, but the engine refused to start. Squirting fuel into carb intake resulted in it trying to start. Time to check fuel supply. Disconnect fuel pipe from carb, spin the engine and not much more than a dribble from the pipe. Squeeze primer bulb and good supply of fuel came out. Pump faulty? 

Removed it a took it apart and found a small piece of what appeared to be rubber. Diaphragm and gaskets all appeared complete and undamaged. So from whence did it come? There's the filter in the tank and an inline filter. Both in good condition.

Pump back on and lets try again. After several attempts and more squirty into the carb, Black Horse burst in to life again. 

A ride down the lane and back into the workshop, Engine will now idle and rev as normal. Was that little piece of rubber causing the problem and preventing the pump from working properly? Seems like it and hopefully it was. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

• Like 4

ebinmaine

I've been told over the years and engine in anything should be started every couple months whether one needs said machine or not.  

Glad to hear you got things headed towards sorted out.  

And that bit of rubber.... do you folks use ethanol gas?

squonk

Prolly from the fuel line nORM. How old are the hoses? Alsop willing to be tif you had reinstalled that solenoid with out whacking it it , it would have worked.

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

Stormin
39 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I've been told over the years and engine in anything should be started every couple months whether one needs said machine or not.  

I usually do run them every month or so. 

39 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

And that bit of rubber.... do you folks use ethanol gas?

Yes but only 5% I also use REDEX in the fuel. It wasn't a pearl and looking in the tank it's spotless.

squonk

This is my opinion only! :rolleyes:  But I truly believe when things set around, Carbunkles and the like start to infest connections ,contacts and the like. It has happened more than once to me where I would have a no crank and just touching a component makes it start to work again with out issue. I have had tight connections fail, but if I barely crack it loose it will start to work. Like the vibrations of an engine keep corrosion, dirt , ect.  from manifesting between connections. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Pearls or not... I'd lean towards maybe the fuel line degrading. Only a guess though.  

I've seen our 10% E mix start eating rubber lines in as little as 4 months.   

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

@Stormin Pay no attention to Sir Skunky, he had to have a big washer welded to his too the stand and had to change the name to " its got a big lump ".  Now the bonnet closes correctly.

• Like 1

Sparky
35 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Pearls or not... I'd lean towards maybe the fuel line degrading. Only a guess though.  

I've seen our 10% E mix start eating rubber lines in as little as 4 months.   

I only buy ethanol rated fuel line now. Still run ethanol fuel in a couple machines here that see regular duty, but most only get e-free regardless of the fuel line type. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Stormin

I agree fuel pipe can deteriorate over time. Especially the rubber type.  I'll see about getting some new. 

• Like 2

peter lena

@Stormin might also  get the fuel filter closer to the carb , after a bowl cleanout , regularly experiment with function / issue. went over to clear fuel line , but it does stiffen up over time , no debris in carbs . is choke cable function smooth / easy  ?  pete 

• Like 1

Lagersolut

I helped a neighbor with a K181 on a tiller earlier this spring - PO told him he installed a new carb last year ran fine - this year won't start . One of his mistakes was not putting a fuel filter on the fuel line the other was ethanol - in one years time the ethanol broke the rubber fuel line down and  all the particulates clogged the carb - even after a 24 hour bath in dip it was still ruined . I've seen this on a lot on lawn and garden equipment over the years .

• Like 3

Stormin

Black Horse started up straight away as usual this afternoon. All is well. :handgestures-thumbup:

• Excellent 1