Lane Ranger

Setting the Shifter Fork Balls and Spring !

Lane Ranger

Years ago we had a 1054 transmission that kept getting locked in place when it was being shifted.  We tore transmission down to replace the old shifter forks with the newer versions.  Wheel Horse originally had shifter forks with half moon cuts in the forks that were more narrow . Wheel Horse determined that they needed to a deeper half moon cut in the shifter forks and sold replacements.   My brother dad, brother and I rebuilt the transmission and were finishing it up when we got to the same place you are Lee.   We had to put the two steel ball bearings and the spring in the transmission to complete the rebuild.  When you put the deeper half moon shifter forks in you have to put a longer spring (there is a part number for that).  We worked on this for about two hours late in the day trying to get the two steel balls and the spring to no avail.  So we quit for the night.  

Next morning we went out and mom came with us.  She had lived with our Wheel Horse obsession for forty years so she was not a novice.   So she suggested we use a a bamboo chop stick to set the balls and spring an place.  It worked like a charm as it held all the little parts in place as we lowered the shifter fork in place setting the fork up to work perfect!

**** I have posted some pics but of a three piece RJ/Suburban transmission not a1054.  ****

8D2EBE54-3B9A-4FC6-96C0-F23BE5BF26EA.jpeg

BD10A431-75B2-45A4-A3AD-D1AA3E031161.jpeg

6CD5F80D-9704-452C-898E-B4EC80D8E870.jpeg

E93D3520-3897-4772-9EFB-5D5E62FE8CA4.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Achto

I have found that putting a glob of tacky grease on each end of the spring will help hold the balls in place. I then use an allen wrench or piece 3/16 round stock to compress the assembly while the shift rails are installed.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

squonk

I do it just like @stevasaurus' video's. I don't like putting any grease in the bore or on the balls. Don't want them to stick or hang up. In fact I clean out the bore with long q tips and give them a light polish with fine paper and make sure every slides easily before assembly. I do put a small amount of white assembly lube on the shift rails but that's it. 

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Racinbob

Actually @Lane Ranger just it's the rails that are different. The forks remained the same. The early rails are 3515/3516 and were upgraded to 5515/5516. The shift stop pin (3573) needs to be replaced with a slightly longer 5614 pin. The 3573 pin could be used but you wouldn't get the benefit that the upgraded rails provide. The spring and balls remain the same. :)

1293322008_ShiftRailSB60.jpg.1f5a08898c2564fdc47a2fd4dbf94a1c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1