GTSRider@yahoo.com

Does the C-105 have a posi rear end

GTSRider@yahoo.com

Looking at an almost mint C-105 ....but my property is hilly , and I need a posi rear end . 

ebinmaine

:text-welcomeconfetti:

A C105 from the factory should not have a Limited Slip Differential.  

Don't let that deter you though.  

We live on a mountainside. 

I run fluid filled tires and have extra steel weights. 

Traction is NOT an issue.  

• Like 1

Handy Don
On 8/12/2023 at 10:59 PM, GTSRider@yahoo.com said:

Looking at an almost mint C-105 ....but my property is hilly , and I need a posi rear end . 

NO standard WH has a “posi” rear end. Some from the late 60’s and very early 70’s have a “limited slip differential” or LSD. The difference is important.

A “posi” mechanically detects one wheel turning noticeably faster than the other and actively moves substantial power (up to 50% depending on manufacturer and model) to the other wheel.

A WH limited slip differential always diverts some power to the wheel turning faster, but less than a “posi”. Think of it as a nice “boost”, not as anything resembling a differential lock.

pfrederi

On 8/13/2023 at 10:23 AM, ebinmaine said:

:text-welcomeconfetti:

A C105 from the factory should not have a Limited Slip Differential.  

Don't let that deter you though.  

We live on a mountainside. 

I run fluid filled tires and have extra steel weights. 

Traction is NOT an issue.  

We have had nothing but rain around here lately the grass never dries out and gets long. You finally have to mow wet grass.  I hate to partly disagree with Eric but sometimes lots of weight is not the answer.  The wet grass is easily packed down by the weight and the deck can't suck it up to cut.  Also our ground has gotten very soft with all this rain and excess weight makes ruts that never go away. I have been mowing my neighbors front yard which is very wet because his 4wd Kubota is heavy and is leaving major ruts.  My unweighted Charger 16 with LSD gets good traction and doesn't sink in nearly as much.

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 3

ineedanother
12 hours ago, pfrederi said:

We have had nothing but rain around here lately the grass never dries out and gets long. You finally have to mow wet grass.  I hate to partly disagree with Eric but sometimes lots of weight is not the answer.  The wet grass is easily packed down by the weight and the deck can't suck it up to cut.  Also our ground has gotten very soft with all this rain and excess weight makes ruts that never go away. I have been mowing my neighbors front yard which is very wet because his 4wd Kubota is heavy and is leaving major ruts.  My unweighted Charger 16 with LSD gets good traction and doesn't sink in nearly as much.

So many variables. I really like LS but only have one. I have to agree with Paul @pfrederi on the weight issue and my brother was the first to convince me of that. Anything might spin which is what really tears up turf, so running lugs or something aggressive without weights even when just mowing was sometimes best as to not spin or sink as much in soft sod. All of mine do well just by shifting my weight unless I'm pushing with the dozer or tilling deep. There I much prefer LS.

My point is that LS and weight are often good but not always necessary. EDIT - Good tires are usually worth the effort to find them and the $$ to get them.

Edited by ineedanother
  • Like 1