NinjaHorse

Clock-wise Motor Swap

NinjaHorse

Hey there! How's it going!!

Has anyone put clock-wise driven PTO motor on a wheel Horse?  

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti:to the :rs:         I have never seen one, but i'm sure it could be done.   It would take a lot of belt twisting to get the transmission, deck, snow blower, and tiller to turn in the correct direction.  :eusa-think:

• Like 2

ebinmaine

:text-welcomewave:

I'm curious to know what brings up the question.... 

• Like 4

953 nut

:WRS:

As far as I know all small engines have a clockwise rotation on the flywheel end of the crankshaft and counter- clockwise on the output (PTO) end.   :confusion-shrug:   What engine are you planning to use?

• Like 1

pacer

:text-yeahthat: I guess there are some engine/s that run CW on pto side, but I've never seen one.......... Sounds like would be a real pill to make one work.

• Like 1

kpinnc
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

As far as I know all small engines have a clockwise rotation on the flywheel end of the crankshaft and counter- clockwise on the output (PTO) end.   :confusion-shrug:   What engine are you planning to use?

I've seen golf cart gas engines that crank both directions, tied to a torque converter. That's what allowed for reverse. 

I wanna say they were made by Robin? :scratchead:

I know transverse mounted engines like how Cub, Case, Ford, Simplicity and others alternated which side of the engine faced forward. That made for left-discharge mower decks on the Case tractors. 

But all of those engines turned the same direction.

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 3

ineedanother
6 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

I've seen golf cart gas engines that crank both directions, tied to a torque converter. That's what allowed for reverse. 

I wanna say they were made by Robin? :scratchead:

I can see that (kinda) in a 2 stroke but not in 4...? Interesting

• Like 3

kpinnc
3 minutes ago, ineedanother said:

I can see that (kinda) in a 2 stroke but not in 4...? Interesting

You're correct. I should've clarified that it was two stroke. 

• Like 2

Rick3478

You didn't say what model WH, some may be easier than others.  Mower deck with the front mule drive is pretty easy to reverse, but transmission and some of the other attachments not so much.  If it's a two stroke, can you contrive to start it the other direction?  Or rotate the engine and mount PTO to the flywheel side?  Or add a jack shaft? 

• Like 1

Pullstart

I’d believe other than being for oddity’s sake, it would be worth finding a more suitable engine if needed…

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

NinjaHorse

Thank you for the input guys!!

What bring up the question is kinda an unconventional set up.

I had acquired two things one was a 312-8 Wheel horse and the other was a EX500 motor.

I both had their major issues, but both of them together made a useable machine again!!

I got it all put together and running then realized that the Kohler motor that was on the Wheel horse ran PTO CCW.

I was just curious if there was any system or something out there that I can put on to change direction back to CCW, or if there was something I could do to the transmission to reverse the final drive and keep the gears.

For now I twisted the drive belt, not ideal but works. I would like to get something figured out so I can at least put the mower deck on and running.

• Like 2

kpinnc
49 minutes ago, NinjaHorse said:

I had acquired two things one was a 312-8 Wheel horse and the other was a EX500 motor.

As in Kawasaki EX500?

Good Lawd!!!!! :blink:

Edited by kpinnc
  • Haha 3

NinjaHorse
20 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

As in Kawasaki EX500?

Good Lawd!!!!! :blink:

Yes! just so happens to fit perfectly under the hood and on the frame.

• Like 2

wallfish

Running the mower deck is the biggest problem.

You can turn the engine around and use a jackshaft with 2 bearings set up in between the engine and trans with 2 pulleys on it to get the correct drive rotation.

Maybe an extra pulley on the trans input side and use an older 60s style pedal to engage the belt for a deck. ???

reverse.jpg.9a86b888c5e64ee27d43b7d2e87b8c89.jpg

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 7

Wild Bill 633

A motorcycle transmission output shaft rotates CCW and is on the LH side. The brake shaft on an 8-speed transmission is also on the LH side and rotates CCW. You could run a chain drive from the cycle transmission to the brake shaft, thus not using the gears in the WH transmission. @Pullstarttried this on his Snowmotractor and got the idea from another WH member.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

NinjaHorse
44 minutes ago, wallfish said:

You can turn the engine around and use a jackshaft with 2 bearings set up in between the engine and trans with 2 pulleys on it to get the correct drive rotation.

Maybe an extra pulley on the trans input side and use an older 60s style pedal to engage the belt for a deck. ???

reverse.jpg.9a86b888c5e64ee27d43b7d2e87b8c89.jpg

Yeah I think that's where I lost it when building this set up, that is exactly what I did, and the realized that it is spinning the wrong direction. I'll try and attach a photo of what I made.

Ninja horse pulley.jpg

• Like 3

NinjaHorse
23 hours ago, Wild Bill 633 said:

A motorcycle transmission output shaft rotates CCW and is on the LH side. The brake shaft on an 8-speed transmission is also on the LH side and rotates CCW. You could run a chain drive from the cycle transmission to the brake shaft, thus not using the gears in the WH transmission. @Pullstarttried this on his Snowmotractor and got the idea from another WH member.

Nice!! I had an idea like that, I didn't think that was a thing but that's why I decided to jump on this forum and just see what people have come up with! Thanks!!

Edited by NinjaHorse
  • Like 1

NinjaHorse
49 minutes ago, NinjaHorse said:

Nice!! I had an idea like that, I didn't think that was a thing but that's why I decided to jump on this form and just she what people have come up with! Thanks!!

Wow!!! Yeah I just went and watched his youtube videos on the Snowmotractor!! I think that is the route I am going to go! Thank you so much for letting know about him @Pullstart!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

It’s loaded in the old Chevy for a car show tomorrow!  Still kickin around different ideas to make it get to 55-60 mph!

A87F2903-3A10-4836-86F7-600F3B61F503.jpeg

47D66F82-AEB1-45C5-8F6C-77E6BEB45166.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

kpinnc
6 hours ago, wallfish said:

Would you really use a mower deck with a 50hp high RPM engine?

Nevermind. Now that I read my question, I feel like I know the answer from this crowd... :P

• Haha 7

wallfish
6 hours ago, kpinnc said:

Would you really use a mower deck with a 50hp high RPM engine?

Nevermind. Now that I read my question, I feel like I know the answer from this crowd... :P

I wouldn't but here was what that reply was for

14 hours ago, NinjaHorse said:

I would like to get something figured out so I can at least put the mower deck on and running.

• Like 1

kpinnc
5 hours ago, wallfish said:

I wouldn't but here was what that reply was for

Oh no I just had the mental image of a 40mph mower!

78041e59c6c590ed3a225cb81457ebb6_w200.gif

Edited by kpinnc
  • Haha 4

Pullstart

About 10 years I knew a lady who’s brother had an old Camaro on a K5 blazer frame, with a 6’ woods belly mower on it.  We dubbed it the Camower for him.  I’m not sure if he ever knew that, but we were just talking about it’s versatility today!

• Haha 2

wallfish
5 hours ago, kpinnc said:

Oh no I just had the mental image of a 40mph mower!

I remember watching that tractor video. LOL It's quite impressive as that guy was MOVING !