Simpleguy

Need help

Simpleguy

I just bought my first wheel horse and was mowing when the left rear axle came out on me I was told I need a new snap ring so I went and got the correct size can anyone please tell me how to get it back together so it doesn't come back out 

wallfish

:WRS:

The only way to fix that is to split and open up the trans. The axle needs to slide through the differential gear and then the snap ring is put on it to retain the axle from sliding out.

Having a loose snap ring inside that trans could cause havoc as the old one must still be inside there.

@stevasaurus has a bunch of info and videos in the transmission section to help you out. Best to look through them an familiarize yourself  before beginning.

It's also going to be helpful for anyone answering your questions if you can tell us the model of the tractor. There's a plethora of different WH transmissions.

• Excellent 2

Simpleguy

It's a wheel horse 310-8 I already dug what I could of the old snap ring out with long needle nose pliers the axle teeth still look good was hoping I didn't have to split it open to fix it 

Handy Don
1 hour ago, Simpleguy said:

It's a wheel horse 310-8 I already dug what I could of the old snap ring out with long needle nose pliers the axle teeth still look good was hoping I didn't have to split it open to fix it 

Sorry to disappoint, but you do have to open up the transaxle.

Check out the video to see how the axle fits through the differential endplate and then gets the snap ring applied.

Also have a look at this manual.

This is not a crazy difficult task if you have decent mechanical ability and some mechanical tools but it does take some hours. You’ll need a new gasket for sure (between the two halves). It it were mine, I’d plan to check outer wheel bearings on both sides for wear (replace if necessary) and for sure replace both outer axle oil seals, the brake shaft seal, and the input drive shaft seal while I had it open. 

Edited by Handy Don
  • Excellent 2

stevasaurus

I think the 310-8 has 1" axles and 4 pinions.  This video is from a 4 speed, but it is (I think) the same differential.  Anyway, this is how it works and goes together.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti:

It’s not the hardest fix, unless your hitch pin is siezed in the transmission halves…

DO NOT Use a 3 jaw puller to get the hub off the axles and you’ll be just fine with the rest of the work :handgestures-thumbupright:

WHX??

:WRS:

3 hours ago, Simpleguy said:

hoping I didn't have to split it open to fix it 

Nope No other way to replace it. 

Handy Don

There is another option: replace the transaxle. 

• Sad 1

ineedanother
4 hours ago, Pullstart said:

DO NOT Use a 3 jaw puller to get the hub off the axles and you’ll be just fine with the rest of the work :handgestures-thumbupright:

My suspicion is that the seller used a BFH to replace a hub :confusion-questionmarks: so it's likely not brown welded.