Sparky

Any blade experts?

Sparky

When do we condemn mower blades? Dismantling a junk 42SD and I assumed these were junk but maybe not… can these still be sharpened? 

IMG_9276.jpeg

IMG_9274.jpeg

IMG_9273.jpeg

• Like 1

rjg854

I'd say yes, seems to be a lot of blade left.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Sparky
3 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

I'd say yes, seems to be a lot of blade left.  

Thanks! 

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Yes, they can be sharpened, but they are all ready a tad shorter than when new.   May leave a streak in turns.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

squonk

You can 2 things with them. E tank them and sharpen and they will still cut like Ed says. :violence-blades:

OR

Use them for anodes in an E tank :helmet:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

TonyToro Jr.

Yes, you got a lot more sharpening’s out of those and alot more cutting. You can tell if there no good if the lift on the blade on the corner if it is really thin or rub your finger around the edge and if there’s a like ridge they are no good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sparky
47 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Yes, they can be sharpened, but they are all ready a tad shorter than when new.   May leave a streak in turns.

Ed, are you talking about the corners I have circled in yellow? These are the old blades laid directly on top of a brand new one. 

IMG_9279.jpeg

IMG_9280.jpeg

• Like 1

peter lena

@Sparky  when ever I  touch up a blade,  I use   small fine file  , minimizes metal loss , always use a cutting oil with it , does agood job , you going to oil treat that deck ?  kill off the grunge and help the deck out . if you establish a lubricant finish , and  leave oil on it over winter , upside down , it will soak in place for months , pretty simple , mine are stained oil / grease black , just a  suggestion . pete

Sparky
13 minutes ago, peter lena said:

@Sparky  when ever I  touch up a blade,  I use   small fine file  , minimizes metal loss , always use a cutting oil with it , does agood job , you going to oil treat that deck ?  kill off the grunge and help the deck out . if you establish a lubricant finish , and  leave oil on it over winter , upside down , it will soak in place for months , pretty simple , mine are stained oil / grease black , just a  suggestion . pete

This one can’t be brought back with any oils on the market Pete :lol:  @peter lena …she’s never going to mow again. Next stop will be the town transfer stations scrap metal dumpster.

The plan here is to strip what’s still good and use those parts to keep a solid deck going. 

IMG_9284.jpeg

IMG_9285.jpeg

IMG_9286.jpeg

• Like 2

Sparky

One spindle pulley will need to soak to get it off in the next day or two. But she is essentially stripped with the good stuff in a bucket. 
  Gotta stop workin in shorts (Pullstart style !)  … one of my knobby knees took a hit. 

IMG_9282.jpeg

IMG_9283.jpeg

IMG_9288.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ri702bill

Mike  - they are still worth the time to clean them up and resharpen. Yes, they are worn - but - I do not see any cracks, broken out areas, etc. Worth redressing as a second set spares, or a first set on a used deck for sale.....

• Like 2

ri702bill

Using the can of Natty cheap brew to break the rust??!!!!!!

• Haha 3

Sparky
1 minute ago, ri702bill said:

Using the can of Natty cheap brew to break the rust??!!!!!!

Natty Lite is a perfect garage beer 🍺.. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Shynon
3 hours ago, Sparky said:

Ed, are you talking about the corners I have circled in yellow? These are the old blades laid directly on top of a brand new one. 

IMG_9279.jpeg

IMG_9280.jpeg

the rounded corners need to be squared off, otherwise grass just rolls passed without cutting

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rick3478
2 hours ago, Shynon said:

the rounded corners need to be squared off, otherwise grass just rolls passed without cutting

Yeah, in fact the tips do most of the work, which is why they wear away and get rounded like that.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
5 hours ago, Sparky said:

Ed, are you talking about the corners I have circled in yellow?

Exactly Mike.  Although the old blades are as long as the new blades,   The effective cutting length must be measured from the center of rotation to the fartherest point on the blade.

It looks like the old blades will measure about 1/4" shorter than the new blades.     Here's a crude not to scale sketch to show how the cutting circle  decreases in size.

c                     104_2248.JPG.2877e3eff4cc1feaab63d6510b2d8e49.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Rick3478
18 hours ago, Sparky said:

IMG_9274.jpeg

IMG_9273.jpeg

I've seen worse.  When you start getting into the upturned wing area, it's time to retire them.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Bill D
On 7/31/2023 at 6:29 PM, Sparky said:

One spindle pulley will need to soak to get it off in the next day or two. But she is essentially stripped with the good stuff in a bucket. 
  Gotta stop workin in shorts (Pullstart style !)  … one of my knobby knees took a hit. 

IMG_9282.jpeg

IMG_9283.jpeg

IMG_9288.jpeg

I hope you saved the gauge wheel bar.  I used one like that for a custom deck build.

c-series don

I have several decks like @Sparky does if anybody wants them for parts. I have enough used spindles and parts already and probably will never strip the decks I’d like to give away. Shame but some day I’ll get sick of looking at them and throw them away. 

Sparky
On 8/12/2023 at 12:31 AM, Bill D said:

I hope you saved the gauge wheel bar.  I used one like that for a custom deck build.

Nope…it went into the scrap metal dumpster with the shell. I know I won’t ever build a custom deck.

• Like 1