Sign in to follow this  
Skwerl58

Changed1054 ignition to solenoid and new switch

Skwerl58

I have been trying to get a 1054 running after setting for a number years. I have rebuilt the carb, rebuilt the starter/ generator and added an electric fuel pump. I also have rewired it for a 103-990 switch and solenoid. Before I hook it up to the battery I have a question about the solenoid and amp gauge. I mounted the solenoid under the dash in the place where the starter button was and used a 103-990 switch. I wired the ignition using a pre made harness for the switch and the schematic that 953nut provided. Question is does it matter which post I use on the solenoid for the - / + and also will an amp gauge be wired the same as a generator light. I hope to try to get it fired up tomorrow. I am attaching the schematic that I used. Thanks for any help!

New switch wiring schematic.jpg

Edited by Skwerl58

ineedanother

Meter wiring:

Battery + to a fuse, to the ammeter, to the "B" tab on your 103990 switch.

• Like 2

J854D

@Skwerl58, if the solenoid you are using has two small terminals like the diagram shows, (some have just one small terminal) then it won’t matter which is + or -. Just so long as one terminal goes to the “S” terminal on the ignition switch and the other small solenoid terminal goes to ground. That will complete the circuit when you turn the key switch. An amp gauge will not be wired the same as the generator light. Since the diagram you are using doesn’t use the “A” terminal of the ignition switch, the best way to wire in the amp gauge would be in between the the “Bat”terminal of the regulator and the “R” terminal of the ignition switch. Wire one of the amp gauge terminals to the ignition switch “R” terminal and the other to the “Batt” terminal of the regulator. And as @ineedanother mentioned, a fuse inline to the “B” terminal of the ignition switch is recommended. -JD-

J854D

@Skwerl58, After I reviewed in the files section how the 103990 switch circuit is set up, I concur with the way @ineedanother suggested wiring in the amp gauge by installing it in the B+ wire to the “B” terminal of the ignition switch. (with an inline fuse for protection) That way the the amp gauge will show the net charge to the battery after the amp load of the ignition coil is met. Either wiring method would work, but what you want the amp gauge to indicate is what the battery is being charged after all electrical loads have been met. I hope this doesn’t confuse things too much.   -JD-

• Like 1

ineedanother
1 minute ago, J854D said:

Either wiring method would work, but what you want the amp gauge to indicate is what the battery is being charged after all electrical loads have been met.   -JD-

I'm not an expert by any means, but I concur. :thumbs:

Skwerl58

Thanks for the responses. I hope to get back on it tomorrow. I will let yall know how it goes.