WHX??

Horse of Another Color...

Handy Don
1 hour ago, WHX?? said:

Hope my pics do it justice.

They do. Thanks for spotting it, grabbing some pictures and the story, and sharing both. 

I can definitely see how having a small, maneuverable tractor with a drill would speed up searching for leaks!

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 4

8ntruck

Neat machine. 

I'll bet that Detecto made a special order for a group of 854's painted to their specifications from Wheel Horse.  Detecto probably took delivery of that group at their facility, where they added the hydraulics, drill and detector systems.

The steel wheel company I worked for often did special orders with special paint for various customers.

• Like 3

Wheel-N-It

Again, it still amazes me to learn what the Wheel Horse tractors were capable of 60 years ago. I wonder if the owners of this 854 would let someone bring it to the Big Show next year? I would enjoy seeing this one in person.

• Like 3

Wild Bill in VA

Very interesting Wheel Horse to say the least. I wonder why the dash panel decal was removed but the shift pattern/serial number decal was retained? I would love to see the paint on the drilling rig VS the paint on the engine and frame components. Could there be any sale literature for this unit? How about a data tag? Yes, I would love to see this Wheel Horse!

Wild Bill in Richmond, VA

• Like 4

ebinmaine

Thanks for posting this! I really do enjoy seeing Horses painted a different color because it's very rarely acknowledged to have been done.

Very very interesting tractor.

The spark arresting muffler may have been done at the request of government or landowners. 

• Like 5

Retired Wrencher

WHX. Thanks for the post. We all are enjoying it. I agree with @Wheel-N-It that would make a great show pice. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

The spark arresting muffler may have been done at the request of government or landowners. 

It was an awesome Horse indeed!  I’d imagine a regular spark allower muffler and potential gas leaks wouldn’t play well together :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Pullstart

Some footage of this one here at 36:58 I think in the Horse Barn.  It’s always great hanging with Eric and Mike!  @wheel horse men (I think is their combined handle) thank you for sharing what knowledge you’ve found thus far!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

WHX??

I wasn't sure of their handle here Kev thanks. I know they're not on much. Going to text a link to this thread to Mike to see if he can add more and correct me on anything.

Don't think there was any paint on the drilling rig @Wild Bill in VA. I can tell you the hy tank and such were painted the same green. The guys did say there was no red under the green on the tractor. No other data tags but might be under grease/dirt. 

• Like 3

WHX??
9 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Neat machine. 

I'll bet that Detecto made a special order for a group of 854's painted to their specifications from Wheel Horse.  Detecto probably took delivery of that group at their facility, where they added the hydraulics, drill and detector systems.

Our guess as well. I get some time I'll research this Detecto Co. 

Edited by WHX??

lynnmor

I guess the guy that drew the short straw operated the drill looking for a damaged gas pipe.  :eek:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, Pullstart said:

It was an awesome Horse indeed!  I’d imagine a regular spark allower muffler and potential gas leaks wouldn’t play well together :lol:

:happy-bouncyredfire:

I don't know why you say such silly things.....

• Haha 2

ri702bill
6 hours ago, Pullstart said:

Olny once....only once.........:happy-bouncyredfire:

D_Mac

If it had yellow wheels and a yellow seat we all be singing a different tune.

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

If it had yellow wheels and a yellow seat we all be singing a different tune.

That green's to dark to be the 🤢 green. 🙂

• Like 1

ri702bill

Now THIS one would have been a perfect candidate for the 6 or 8 speed swap. Pop it in Low range - position it exactly where you want it... almost as good as a parking brake!!

A couple of years too early....... could have been added later...

20230707_120618.jpg

• Confused 1

Wild Bill in VA

And yes. that spark arrester muffler ..... now let's think a second. It is not surprising that you would need that type of muffler for the work application this tractor performs but what about the starter generator? I wonder what type cover it has. Back in the 1950's to the early 1990's manufactures would use a pneumatic type starter motor when working around petroleum based products. Also the company name painted on the hood is a 1960's style design along with the P596 which could easily be the company that owned the rig their unit number.

Wild Bill in Richmond VA

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

WHX??
6 hours ago, ri702bill said:

Now THIS one would have been a perfect candidate for the 6 or 8 speed swap.

Now yer talkin like a sausage Bill...this girl is way too orginal to be messin with tranny swaps. Doing anything with it other than cleaning up might be sacrilegious in my book. Maybe a full blown resto but it's not that far gone. 

I see what yer sayin tho. 

Know what yer sayin too @Wild Bill in VA ... from what I saw all motor/S/G was bone stock Kohler & 854. 

• Like 2

ri702bill

Agreed - original. Just sayin' if it were offered in 1964, a creeper gear would have been most useful at work...............

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 3

WHX??
3 hours ago, ri702bill said:

Agreed - original. Jusy sayin' if it were offered in 1964, a creeper gear would have been most useful at work...............

OK I got ya. Makes a guy wonder if they weren't made with a '67 long frame? 

• Like 2

WHX??

OK did some research on this Detecto Co. and came up empty. 

Thinkin that maybe just what the company called their product.

I did find ties to a Jacob's Bros company in IA that may be the root.

Long disfunct.

More digging in order... specifically sales literature on this girl @Wild Bill in VA

Next step is contact a historical society if ther is one. 

Edited by WHX??
Speeling
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

CasualObserver

I think you guys should take a look at the tractor in this topic I just stumbled across while looking for something else!

Same exact foot rests, and same color green seat!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
1 hour ago, CasualObserver said:

I think you guys should take a look at the tractor in this topic I just stumbled across while looking for something else!

Same exact foot rests, and same color green seat!

@Chris G any comment? 

Beap52

If I remember, when we had a boat with inboard Chevrolet engine, the alternator had a very fine wire screen on the cooling openings that I always figured was there to help prevent a fire if gasoline was ever present within the engine covering.  Could it be that similar screen could have been used on these tractors?

• Like 1